KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Electronic Scooter Controllers have become a popular addition to our vehicles. Ask specific questions about ESCs here!

***WARNING*** this section is for ADVANCED MODDERS. if you try anything in this section you NEED to expect minor issues with the build up to and including complete FAILURE of EVERYTHING in your freshly built BPRO.

Have fun ;-) :-)
By dka56
As my kids are growing I would like to take this Gator up a level. I plan on extending the chassis as well as add an ESC and all the 24V upgrades. With all the ESC's avail, I don't know which ones to purchase so I would like to know what hall effect pedal and esc work well with our setups.

I may not go 24V right away so if there's an option to use it with 12V that would be great. I do want to limit max current/voltage if needed as well as have reverse.

All input and criticism is welcome.
By Suburbancharlie77
Wow.... wonder what happened? It worked twice this morning?
Well, it's Wesley from here's kit. I forget the name of his company. Hopefully someone else remembers?
Unfortunately my lengthy post explaining everything was considered "a duplicate post" and was deleted??? But whatever. I'll see what I can dig up and get back to you.
By Rob222
Do an Ebay search for "24v esc kit" (sold from from http://www.eastcoastpowerup.com).

At the bottom of the Ebay posting there are some great videos to help you understand everything you need for an esc upgrade. The kit is great for a first time install. As for 12v, it's easier to just start with a 24v esc and limit the top speed with a potentiometer on the throttle signal or limit the movement of the throttle pedal.
The kit, and most wiring diagrams on this site, switches forward/reverse using relays. It's cheaper than adding options to the esc. Braking is also done with another relay. The esc has braking on it but using it sometimes leads to failure. External braking with a relay still allows braking if the esc shorts and runs away.
For the hall-effect pedal, check out http://www.electricscooterparts.com, Item # THR-89. I used this throttle on my last two builds and really like it. You can easily remove one of the two springs inside the pedal to make it easy for kids to press down. I added a little piece of plastic tube inside the remaining spring to limit throttle speed. Easy to remove later when the kids are ready for full 24v.
Last edited by Rob222 on Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Suburbancharlie77
Agreed rob. Do you have one of his kits?
You can place the potentiometer wherever you want to"hide" it, and that is the top speed control. Also the unit provides your choice of gas pedal, and allows for a charge port. It is a 24 volt kit, but seems like the best single source all inclusive kit. I sure wish my previous write up was posted, it had more details than my current scatter brain can remember. I had thought about my response prior to typing. Now I'm juggling and miserably failing!
By dka56
I did see that ebay kit, I was curious if it would still work using 12v just in case I didn't have 2 batteries avail to use the toy. 24v only isn't a deal breaker but would be nice to have the 12v option.
By Suburbancharlie77
I do believe it's 24 only!
I too was bummed, wanting the drive time from 2 batteries at 12 volt, but the realistic drive feel and teaching I think would be huge. He has plenty of YouTube videos about the kit if you've got some time to kill. It's not dyer to sit and watch the entire thing if you can just listen. When something catches your ear, back it up a few seconds. There is a video that shows the 4 different gas pedals he's offering with the kit. That one is more of a watcher video, due to different vehicles and drivers. And again, the glory of his, it's COMPLETE, and backed by a knowledgeable, friendly, instant responding provider. And that to me, is huge. Not days, weeks on end with no response.
By Rob222
The 24v esc has a low voltage cutoff at about 20v or so. It will not work with 12v. If you're leaving your ride at 12v you don't need the esc. The ecs protects the gearboxes when upgrading a 12v ride to 24v.
By dka56
Using 2 batteries is fine I suppose, I can just cut back on the speed if needed. Now the big question is what motors can I use on the stock Gator gearboxes? I have used the Titan 23-turn 550 and they were fast but without the esc they were hard on the gearboxes.

I would like to use either the HPI 550, Titan 550 or the banebot 775 but how much slower is the 775 over the 23-turn Titan? Do I need to use the 24V gearboxes?
By dka56
I'm going with the ebay kit but one thing that concerns me is that it uses a 500W ESC....will this be sufficient if I go with the 24 gearboxes and the banebot 775 motors?
By Suburbancharlie77
Again, I don't know what happened to the entire thread, but have you checked

Eastcoastpowerup

On Google? He's a member here, and appears to have been providing his kit for a while. Just wanted to make sure you have explored all options.
By Suburbancharlie77
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19722&p=138618#p138618

Is a link to a thread where he was one of the last commenters, and you can tap his name for more information. It shows he's been offline for a week now, but you may be able to dig for more information? He had sent me some details that I have in an email, but my inability to post pictures prevents me from displaying them for you. I've sent you a private message if you could check it, and respond there with your email, I will gladly provide you with his contact info as well as the info he had sent me.
By dka56
That's who I'm purchasing from, just going to wait to see if I should get the 850 controller or higher over the 500W.
By dka56
I'll get pics later, but I finished it up this morning, everything works, even with 30A controller and a 25A circuit breaker, there have been no interruptions in current flow, even going up the driveway.

I'm currently using these motors,

http://kidcarsandparts.com/peg-perego-307/

on 12V they seem to be as fast or just slightly faster than stock...but not more than 6 MPH. On 24V, the gator is running 9 MPH on a flat surface verified by GPS. I'll get a few more decvices to check the speed but it definitely moves pretty good now.
By dka56
Wasn't bad at all, just follow the video and the diagram and it's pretty straight forward.

It took me a couple times to catch a few things and I will clarify that when I get some pics posted.

I will say, it completely transformed the gator....a must do mod IMO, he had a blast today on it.
By Suburbancharlie77
Delighted to hear. We're still going through rides to determine what rides are worthy. I'm really torn on a hurricane.... that was recently a disaster of an experimental ride.
Definitely looking forward to getting one though!
By dka56
In my area, gators come up on CL at good prices....between 50 and $125 and are in good shape.

Only issue is if your kid has long legs. Mine is getting there but he fits behind the wheel and he doesn't really care now as its a whole new toy now

Gator is versatile as it has 2 seats and a carry bed. Our Polaris 850 is also a great ride on if you can find one at a good price....very durable.
By dka56
Here's a few pics, I will get more tomorrow as I have to shove off to work. I added two voltmeters and have them secured to the battery terminals right now with alligator clips, but they will be on a switched circuit later as well as the lights.

I mounted the throttle with the hinge at the top and bent it slightly, this lets him use the brake with not much in the way.

20160517_151127s.jpg
Add description

20160517_151151s.jpg
Add description

20160517_151250s.jpg
Add description

20160517_151816s.jpg
Add description

20160517_155719s.jpg
Add description

20160517_155759s.jpg
Add description

20160517_173722s.jpg
Add description
By toycrusher
Love the dual volt meters!
By dka56
Suburban...you're welcome!

Toy crusher.....yes, they are very handy. My son knows to let me know when one of them gets to 11.5V.

I swapped the motors to the Duratrax 550 and now with a running voltage of 11.5-11.7 as the batteries are low, it will run 12 MPH....curious as to how fast it will go with a full charge but maybe only 1 or 2 MPH more.
By dka56
After the batteries is were charged, it was able to run 12 MPH which is quite respectable. I will fabricate a mount to hold two 12V 20ah batteries under the frame that's under the seat. The 12ah batts work but needless to say the run times could be better, however he loves the speed so the run times are not so much of a concern to him.
By DuaneHaas
This is cool to see since I just went through the project about the same time as you. My 2 year old loves his hand me down Gator. He also has a Jeep Hurricane that is WAY too big for him so far. Here are a few pics of his gator -

I need to add another 2 screws in the hall effect pedal

Added a couple of seatbelts just in case.

My project last night was to add a remote kill switch. I hooked it up according to this diagram, but it didn't work how I planned. I may need to go back and see where I might have went wrong. There are 2 grounds on my switch. Should I ground them on the same line or find a different ground for each? -

By dka56
If possible I would try to interrupt the power connection or "power lock" connection. I changed mine around a little this weekend, I added a 50 amp toggle switch which is along the negative lead directly off the battery so the switch is the first connection from the battery. I told him if things went south...lol, to flip the switch if the key didn't work.
By dka56
I changed motors again today as one was showing signs of wear, these were the Duratrax 550 motors rated at 24,000 RPM and has given the gator a good 12 MPH top speed. I found some 550S motors and they are labeled as 18V motors.

The 550S is on the right, the "Go fast" motor center which I believe is the same or similar to the Duratrax 550, and stock on the left.

20160526_150919s.jpg

20160526_150943s.jpg

20160526_150958s.jpg

There is a flat spot on the shaft for a set screw, but I just pressed on the stock gears and is working fine.

Overall these motors appear to have more torque, about the same speed as stock on 24V...roughly 8-9 MPH.
By Suburbancharlie77
So it's been a few weeks.... did you end up going with other batteries, and if so, what ah, and what kind of drive time are you experiencing? And are they still running at full speed or have you knocked it down a little?
PW Jeep for the mountains?

Unfortunately he absolutely correct. You don't nec[…]

Old Powerwheels used two 6-volt batteries and the[…]

Gaucho cooling fins for motor?

I can't seem to source any cooling fins for my old[…]

by 'Dual 12V' you mean dual motors at 12v and not […]

HobbyMasters