KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Electronic Scooter Controllers have become a popular addition to our vehicles. Ask specific questions about ESCs here!

***WARNING*** this section is for ADVANCED MODDERS. if you try anything in this section you NEED to expect minor issues with the build up to and including complete FAILURE of EVERYTHING in your freshly built BPRO.

Have fun ;-) :-)
By bucky1399
Looking for advice on what would be the best option for replacing my current controller with something that can handle more amps. The truck is running fine on flat ground but when traveling up hills the voltage drops, amps spike and controller gets hot, melts output wires, even solder connections.
I could try a duel controller setup but maybe that isn't the best option. I don't have duel controller wiring diagram, so not sure how i would wire this.
I also see 66duece was using this controller, but how would that wire up with the hall effect throttle I'm using?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-50V-60A-3000 ... 1336780734
Any advice would be appreciated.
By toycrusher
What ride do you have? How is it setup? How much weight of riders? Do the wheels roll freely? How old are your batteries? What controller do you have now?
By bucky1399
I year old F150, 7r 15-16-17 gearbox, running Traxxas 775 motors. I was using Robinson 16t, 0.8 module pinions. I'm switching that out with Yeti 16T 32P pinions. Maybe the 0.8 pinions were the issue, although I don't see any noticeable wear on the 1st gear. No 1st gear failures so far. Wheels spin fine as far as I can tell. Riders weight 45 and 35 pounds. Using YK31C controller. I put a temp probe next to the controller and another on the yellow/blue output wire, as that has melted previously. Temperatures on flat ground run around 110 degrees. After going up the hill in the yard a couple times the temps go up to 150 and I have them shut it down for awhile.
I have burned two controllers so far, the first lasted about 2 hours of riding, the second went for the last 2 months. Noticed the blue/yellow output wire had slight melting a week ago. The other day the controller shorted after 1 minute of driving.
By bucky1399
Looking at the wiring diagrams, I'm using the traditional ESC setup- high, low eliminated. Running a step down wired to a power block to power the brake and reverse relays.
By toycrusher
Your setup would seem to be fine. I'm not crazy about the tiny 14 gauge wire that comes with the Chinese ESCs. I think it's just not capable of handling the amps your truck is pulling. My recommendation would be changing to one of these higher quality ESCs.
http://kellycontroller.com/mini-dc-cont ... -c-27.html
They aren't much more than the Chinese ones and once you start adding up the cost of replacing the cheap ones, they become an even better bargain
By toycrusher
They come with instructions. Wiring is nearly identical but they ask for a few more protections like pre-charge resistors and diodes on switches and contactors (relays)
By bucky1399
Thanks toycrusher. Appreciate the advice. I don't know how many amps I'm pulling with these motors. I know when I was using the stock setup and these 775's I was frequently blowing 40 amp fuses.
By bucky1399
I emailed the company looking for some advice on controllers. They didn't give me much other than to relist the voltage range for the controllers, which is quite wide. I did ask about the price disparity between the 24v and 36v controllers. They stated the 24v controllers have a special power supply, a separate PCB board, hence the higher price. So if I fry another YK31C, I am probably gonna try the 36v, 200 amp controller, they state this can work from 18-45v.
By Siegelracing
66Duece suggested using potentiometer based ESCs, and he had used some that range from $13-$22 on eBay and they even handled him driving his kids PWs. They hold from 10v-60v and a re rated at 60a continuous. They have HUGE heatsinks.

I got one but making a robust throttle setup has been a challenge...
By dka56
Bucky, can you take a pic of your controller setup?

I'm curious if you have excessive resistance in your wiring, perhaps creating a higher load on the controller.
By toycrusher
Those motors were pulling 500 watts a piece if you were popping 40 amp fuses. That Kelly controller is probably rated 50 - 60 amps so you should be good. You will want to maintain 10 gauge wire which is tricky at certain connections
By dka56
When our gator was on 12V, I tried the Titan 550 23T motors and these would blow the 40A circuit breakers up the driveway on occasion, definitely with 2 kids on board. I went back to the stock motors until I switched to an ESC.

I'm running the same controller as you, granted I'm not using the 775 motors but I have gone back to those 23T titan's, one forward and one reverse motor and we haven't popped a breaker yet. I have it turned down with the governor so it will only put out 15-16V max, but even at 24V it will cruise right up the driveway.

The kit I have uses a 25A resettable breaker and it hasn't tripped yet. Again, I'm sure things will be different with 775 motors but these titans pull some amps.

I'm still curious as to how the OP's setup is wired, worst case maybe try a 800 or 1000W controller.

Sounds like the switch. Pop it out and test with a[…]

The project is picking up pace. The 1" tubes […]

Hey guys, it's been a while. Things got really bus[…]

PW Corvette help

So I bought a Black PW Corvette from craigslist, t[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course