KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Electronic Scooter Controllers have become a popular addition to our vehicles. Ask specific questions about ESCs here!

***WARNING*** this section is for ADVANCED MODDERS. if you try anything in this section you NEED to expect minor issues with the build up to and including complete FAILURE of EVERYTHING in your freshly built BPRO.

Have fun ;-) :-)
Hi peeps.

So instead of buying an ESC it really wanted to build my own ESC using an Arduino and a motor controller.
As much for learning and also for building something myself.

So far this is what I have (continuous build).

• An Arduino UNO or similar Arduino with similar pin layout.
  • A motor controller
  • A hal sensor pedal
  • Some basic Arduino prototyping stuff, wires, breadboard etc.
  • Two spare 18V DC motors from a defect power drill

Using these parts I can prototype the ESC and verify everything works properly before starting to modify the car (kids still using it).

I will be using the existing pedal as a brake and the gear shifter to change gear etc.
I will most likely insert a dial knob in series with the pedal to limit the speed when the kids are small.

I have created the git repo for the code I'm using.

I have the state machine up and running and my prototype board is working.
I plan on using an Arduino Pro Mini 5V for the final build.
Once I have it installed in the car I can start tweaking the parameters and add ramp curves etc if needed.

Pics of the build so far below.

####---- 01-08-2016 ----####
So have had a little time to strip the car a little and cleaned up the wiring.
Also decided to stay with the regular Arduino so it fit directly with the motor control.

Mapped the Gear shifter so that they act as button.
The indication can be seen at the bottom of the shifter.
  • Gear 1 - L+ and R-
  • Gear 2 - L+ and R+
  • Reverse - (minus) - and L-

Also have decided to keep the wiring from the original setup as unharmed as possible, so if I want to turn back that is an option.

####---- 03-08-2016 ----####
Got some time to install the stuff and go for the first test run with the kids.

The pedals got mounted in reverse order else it was too cumbersome for the kid driving to reach.

Also the motor control would not shut off when the pedal was released completely, so I have added a relay to shut of the motor connection when the car is in idle mode. This means that if the speeder pedal is released at max speed the car will coast along. One issue is that if the pedal is released halfway i still locks the wheels, so might need to implement an deceleration loop in the code if the pedal is released quickly, but not completely.

Also found out that it was not enough to simply shut off power to the motor control since the motors when driven act as a generator and then the wheels lock up when there is reverse power to the motor control. So the relays fixes most of these issues.

Also added a main circuit breaker so the Arduino and motor controller wont be sucking the batteries dry. The kids seem to love this added feature.

https://youtu.be/4THEUlzZxg0
Last edited by linnemann on Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
I've spent hours reading stuff I don't understand, but there are 2 links that I'll look for. They have some code written already if that helps? It's still all gibberish to me at this point, I haven't gotten a kit yet. But I think the codes written may help, even if you have that part done, because they have done the tweaking part, and have developed a soft start to reduce head banging and also save the drive train.
I'll definitely be following this, and wish you all the best too! This is something I should learn. I'll see what I can do for the links tomorrow.

There's another one somewhere, but I think this may help with the code anyway. It's a great write up!

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=17511

I'm already using two 120mm fans, one to push fres[…]

In that case then I can retire the long wire conne[…]

well the wires got hot at the switches to the moto[…]

Increasing voltage question

The motor's "nominal voltage rating" is […]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course