KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Electronic Scooter Controllers have become a popular addition to our vehicles. Ask specific questions about ESCs here!

***WARNING*** this section is for ADVANCED MODDERS. if you try anything in this section you NEED to expect minor issues with the build up to and including complete FAILURE of EVERYTHING in your freshly built BPRO.

Have fun ;-) :-)
By sall
I have done a few ESC setups with the two relay brake/reverse setup. Any reason we cannot use the factory shifter to control forward and reverse function while utilizing one SPDT relay for braking? Would this damage the ESC into the typical full throttle runaway with braking resistor? Here is my chicken scratch simplified diagram. Forgot to label the FWD/RVS switch but yeah.

Some time I would not even use the resistor for braking in the traditional two relay ESC setup. Just use the relay to break the current flow. Sure it rolls to stop(quickly). We are on all flat ground anyways so it's not really issue with breaking on a hill or what not.
By toycrusher
Yes, you can use stock shifter for forward reverse and even high low. Only downside is that you are pushing 24v through the switches and make failure of them much more likely. I've done it more than once...
By sall
Just trying to get by with the parts I have on hand. Not looking to buy more relays and what not. I have plenty of shifter switches... and what about the braking setup? I have been out of the game for awhile. Riding a bike with no training wheels and a polaris outlaw 50 has taken precident over power wheels. We just got a Jeep Hurricane though and seems to like it but just of course too slow.
By toycrusher
Use the original pedal but rewire it. Pedal at rest and power flows through to ESC. Press the pedal and it opens the circuit. Doesn't exactly brake but it cuts power and the ride will roll to a stop.

Or wire it between the esc and the shifter and it will provide braking
By edac
I like using the relays for power. You can shorten the wires carrying the power. I can go to the junk yard and pick up a half dozen 30A relays for $5, then wire the coils in pairs (in series), and you end up with all the double pole relays you need. Cheep too!
By Kwit863
Hi I'm new to this forum and esc's. I've modded my daughter's roll play 12v sierra denali to 2x12v roll play batteries and added rubber grip to the tires and lights etc. and this truck is super fast but burned up the factory wiring somehow(I think, according to rollplay) so rollplay sent out all new wiring and I bought a Hall effect metal throttle (already mounted) and I have a 250w speed controller with all the connections like in diagrams I've seen my question is 250w enough for the factory dual motors? I've seen everyone using the 500w but when I first started researching I read somewhere to use lower watt controller bc 500w would burn up factory parts like the shifter and pedal I plan to keep in use which I don't know how to accomplish either.... lol help please
By Rob222
I agree with edac. Use the stock shifter for fwd/rev but wire it to relays. Relays are easier to replace than shifter switches if they fail. I get my relays in bulk cheap from china and wire them together as needed. The junkyard relay idea is great. 250w is low for an ESC but start there and upgrade to a 500w if needed. Keep the stock connectors on the esc and the swap is simple.
By Kwit863
After fiddling around last night with the truck and reviewing forums for hours lastnight my factory wireing is fine but my shifter is bad(not sure only works in high gear) my driver side motor is not working at all tested with battery but the other motor works tested with battery... I purchased another rollplay 12v12ah battery a while back for the conversion but didn't run them in a series I made one cute on the negative coming from factory plug and ran positive from extra battery to one end of the factory negative splice and negative from extra battery to other factory negative splice and this converted truck to 24v and is extremely fast but I'm not sure I properly wired the two batteries in a series and extra rollplay battery I purchased the 30a fuse is now shot and here I am. I've reviewed east coasts 1000w plug and play for 279$ but don't need the throttles since I've already mounted the ones I purchased. Any help on what I did wrong here??? And thoughts on the 1000w system?
By Kwit863
After more research I think I've determined I just have one bad motor and that's why I thought the shifter was bad but the "stock Denali truck lol" is still under warranty so I'll see if the will send me both then I can successfully hook up an esc system.... may consider replacing motors but don't know which ones I should get... any thoughts?

I came across this thing for free. It's awesome. N[…]

Since you haven't purchased it yet my suggestion i[…]

Below is a picture of the shifter with the screw i[…]

The shifter itself has two DPDT switches inside it[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course