KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
for smaller 6v vehicles that NEED to be upgraded to 12v.
By PhotonShooter
So, upfront, not a PowerWheel brand car, so I might be in the wrong place all together; but I will ask anyway.

I recently purchased a 6V Mini Paceman from ToysRus and I found the charger to be crap. It appears to be a straight constant current charger that blindly dumps 700 mA in the battery regardless of battery conditions.

I purchased a Black and Decker float charger that will charge at 6v 2000mA until it detects full charge, then float the battery. This took the task of managing the battery out of my life, so, happy man? Almost.

The stock charger very conveniently connected to a small barrel socket inside the fuel filler door of the car; right now I am removing the seat, unplugging the battery and connecting the charger via some modified spade connectors to the float charger. This was just a temporary solution and is turning out to be very annoying.

I am assuming that if the car is switched off, there is no reason that I would not be able to connect the float charger to the car through the same barrel connector the stock charger used, but because I am charging at 2000mA and not the 700mA the harness was intended to use I thought it worth asking if others had done this already. I am also wondering if anyone knows if the charge circuit runs directly to the battery, or is it going through a board inside the car. It is proving very hard to see anything.
By PhotonShooter
Tought I would post my solution to this in case someone else comes across this. I got this to work, but it took a little doing.

I first tried to just cut the barrel connector off the charger and connect it to the float charger I purchased; this did not work. I played around with my meter some and discovered that inside the plastic of the barrel connector itself was a diode. The diode was preventing the float charger from detecting battery voltage, so the charger would never turn on to begin the charging process. I wound up using a standard (5.5 mm OD, 2.1 mm ID) barrel plug on my float charger and got around this issue. These are the same size barrel plugs used on many security cameras so they are very wildly available.

Still would not charge though.

I looked into the socket end on the car side and turns out there is also a diode on this end. This was just on the backside of the plug to prevent (I'm assuming) a child from jamming a screwdriver in to the cars charge port and getting a full battery current short. I did not simply want to bypass this diode because I thought it was a safety issue. I considered adding a 1k resistor in parallel which would only drop a few micro-volts but would allow the charger to sense the battery voltage and would charge, but I didn't know how sensitive the sense circuit was in the charger itself. So I instead went the slightly dirtier route and just put a 7.5 AMP fuse in parallel with the diode. This renders the diode useless, but it will let the charger work and in the event that the socket is shorted it will just pop the fuse.

So, with this done the charger works beautifully. The Black and Decker charger was only like $15 on Amazon and I had the connector already, so this was a cheap upgrade and now I can just plug the car in on the side as intended and walk away and it will all sort itself out.

Hope this helps if someone else is looking to do this.
Last edited by PhotonShooter on Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Csalemka
The brand you got was Kid Trax and I have one as well. I have the 6V Dodge Viper SRT. Currently working on a lot of mods but check out this thread that has a good example of the wiring diagram for Kid Trax. It was spot on for mine and sounds very similar. Kid Trax uses a "direct-connect" charging system, as they call it, and I took my charging port apart as well and sounds the exact same. Hope this thread helps
http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=17344&p=127828&hilit=Kid+trax+viper#p127828

When I get some more mods done I'll start posting some things I did and PM you

Just got a pair of the banebot 775 18v version yes[…]

Motor stock 12v

Two things: (A) I don't see an integrated cooling […]

I'll have to get back to you on the minimum shaft […]

At 16.8 volts I'd just go with the 550s. They'll […]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course