KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
for smaller 6v vehicles that NEED to be upgraded to 12v.
By giantsnation
Hello, so I was originally planning on upgrading our barbie jeep to 18v but for cost reasons (and a beginner driver) I'm going to stick with 12v and upgrade the motors.

That said, I need a battery and while I understand what type I need, I don't fully grasp how to install the aftermarket ones. Some background info - the jeep I just got off of craigslist did not come with a battery so I have never seen one installed. BUT I know on the barbie jeep the battery is installed in the front of the vehicle.

I'd like to go with something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/Modified-Power- ... 2eefd0de02 but how would I go about modify the stock power wheels battery plug. I know I'll need a 30amp in-line fuse which I have from a few left over car audio installs.
By Suburbancharlie77
Please let us know how that transaction and product are. That could be helpful in the future.
But yes, that's exactly what you want!
You may as well get 2, since you will end up with another power wheels or at the very least a second battery!

I'm behaving and leaving it at that!
By Suburbancharlie77
Greatly appreciated!
That seller had some bad transactions trying to sell aftermarket sla batteries with that connectors. Not that the product was bad, just bad packaging, and communication. Batteries came to buyer busted open, acid sealed within a barrier. He was originally offering a PayPal refund to purchasers to provide comments but that was at a time when he was selling through Amazon which it is my understanding he's no longer represented by
By Suburbancharlie77
That one really depends on the ride, for 2 reasons.
Fitment and future use.
A mustang won't take an 18 without modifications, but a 2 seater jeep, arctic cat, brute force, kfx, and a few others no problem.
Also take into consideration how soon you may add a second battery for either higher speeds or accessories.
I have an 18 and love it. Drove grave digger down to dinner the other night on the 18ah, dragged a spare battery"just in case". It was running 12 volt only, made it home, threw it on the charger only cuz I didn't believe it was STILL FULL!?!? Charger showed still at 90% =)
All total about 34 blocks, no accessories, on pavement.
Hurricane on 18 volts, 12ah, only about 12 blocks of mixed paved n unpaved.

But obviously it's entirely up to you. But an 18ah 12 volt AND 6 volt to fit in most rides will require modifications, be it cutting under the hood or building a box under escalade, silverado, or quite a few others seats.

Also check out battery sharks .com as they have some impressive shipping times throughout the Midwest and other areas, may have different sizes, and competitive pricing, although sometimes their "specials" aren't any better than ordering what you were looking at to begin with. It's strange?!

I'd forgotten that you have the jeep. You can do the 18. And still fit the 18ah 6 volt also! You can add a shelf and velcro, or maybe fit em in sideways. I added a fuse block to mine, but fit 2 12V14Ah side by side on the block of 1". Again, I added velcro on the floor and the batteries, as well as the perforated strap over the top, with velcro on the sides of each battery to hold em together. I'll admit, I overkill everything I do, but for $5-$10, I'd rather know than assume. Anything worth doing, is worth doing right, the first time, then you don't have to go back and rework it. I've never payed attention to the distance that jeep gets, but with the load split among the 2 batteries, I will say that it doesn't have the noticeable whine sound when attacking hills or tugging a load!
By Suburbancharlie77
Forgot to mention, you can flip that harness easy to get the battery in the back under the seat. Just pull the covers, and the stock end sits just behind the shifter. Then the hood becomes kid storage if Ya want.
You ordered the adapter, so you can do whatever, add accessories to a fuse block, anything, and return to stock without much effort, and keep all your goodies, just leaving a few holes ;-)
By giantsnation
good site for batteries! Looks like this one will do the trick. http://www.batterysharks.com/12-Volt-18 ... 2-18f2.htm.

And this charger will work well, yes? http://www.batterysharks.com/12-Volt-1- ... 2-1-ac.htm

As for the future and the potential for 18v - I was all for this at first HOWEVER after some critical thinking, for me that is just not smart. My son is turning 4 in a month so 12v with upgrade motors will be plenty. His brother on the other hand will be 2 this October. When the 2 year old wants to use this, I don't want it to a) scare the poop out of him or b) ruin the car all together.

The only other battery mod, may be an additional 12v in the rear under the seat for accessories.
By Suburbancharlie77
Walmart has 2 different Schumacher chargers in stock, 1.5 amp and that 3 amp. They usually don't stock the charge and ride. If you decide to go with a Schumacher, you can order their proprietary ends for $10 with shipping, part number "WM-12" has the ends correct, by calling them or online at
http://www.batterychargers.com/
Or go to Napa, have them get you part number 784640 and you get nearly the same thing, but 2 of them, one end properly colored, and the other side is reverse, for connecting to the charger (reverse as in the colored wire for what the charger puts out). Napa's is a bit shorter, cheaper, and doesn't have a "protector" but if you wire that in, the wife may actually be happy, because charging it is going to be simply plugging the power wheels in, only draw back, the kids can take off while plugged in, dragging your charger behind. You can rig relays to kill power while charging, but that's a whole new thread, and you can research the schematics elsewhere in the forum. But those ends are excellent for ease of charging with those mentioned chargers!

I have no experience with harbor freight chargers, but have to imagine they don't have the shut down technology built into the Schumacher. Not that I'm knocking harbor freight...... I love that place!
By giantsnation
and one other thing, (because I never saw the factory one installed) is there a battery tray or factory tie-down for the battery?

thanks for all your help!
By Suburbancharlie77
With chargers, I've read here, not to exceed 1/4 of the ah ratings of the battery. As in you don't want to charge an 18ah battery with a 10 amp charger. The 3 amp on a 12ah is fine, but not recommended for a 9ah battery. But all 3 of those chargers are great. Haven't gotten around to placing an order for the charge and ride, priorities, but so want one. Spoke to Schumacher directly in regards to a deltran model labeled as "waterproof". I explained my outdoor power wheels garage, as having a tarp over the top, and the guy told me that as long as rain isn't directly pouring into the top of his charger, that being in a damp environment shouldn't be a problem.
So, I (obviously) highly recommend them.

There would normally be a spring loaded metal loop that covers the grey 12 volt batteries, and a black plastic piece that does the same thing to secure the battery inside the hood. Can you link to any google image of the jeep, or possibly add a picture? I can't figure out how to attach a picture =/
By giantsnation
Yes got the plug but didn't want to officially comment on it till I was ready to test. However the connector end did fit the power wheels end perfectly and looks like this will do the trick.

I also got the 18ah battery to fit without much of an issue. Now I just need time to finish painting.
By MR_Pat
I got chargers and batteries from batteyr sharks last year.. they are still running pretty good.. I charge all mine with the 1 amp charger.. but I also have several batteries so there's always a charged one sitting ready to replace while i charge the one i pull. I have also been using the $9 cheapy harbor frieght battery tender charger and it seems to work well too.

and I fit a 20AH in the kids mustang without cutting anything .. i swear the battery was made for the car.. given this is the older body style car .

By king12yan
Hey I'm looking to replace my sons 12 battery and I have been looking into alternatives to the OEM battery. I was looking that this one. Is this all I would need? I would probably need to get a different charger to make sure it doesn't over charge this battery. Also does anyone know now these kind of batteries last in terms of charge compared to the stock? Like an hour of driving or so.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Bat ... SwaB5XkSDv
Ford F150 Raptor tire upgrade

Not quite following from the description and pics.[…]

I don't have anything written up on the homebrew c[…]

Nice! That thing is flying pretty well :lol: . I[…]

Full Wire Harness ($150) I have an unfinished proj[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course