KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
for smaller 6v vehicles that NEED to be upgraded to 12v.
By bozlightyear
Hey all new to the forum and I have recently started semi modding. I started with my sons 12v dune racer and i didnt do much to it besides add small LED light bar on the front and a voltage gauge. just recently i purchased a new battery for it from ML toys ( http://www.mltoys.com/product-p/12v-12a-with-connector.htm ) a great purchase. just recently the PW started randomly cutting off. i would check wiring and voltage and voltage was reading 11.3 or higher, yet i would hit the gas and nothing. I randomly messed with the shifter putting it in reverse then back into forward and it would start to run when hitting the gas. i changed out the shifter thinking it may be that but my son was driving it again this morning literally 30 sec in fast gear and it stopped and wouldnt go anywhere.

Does anyone have any ideas what this may be or a fix?

Thanks in advance
By taz11
Sounds like a bad breaker in the battery. Best way to confirm it is to use another battery to test it. Maybe borrow a neighbor's? Or use the old half dead one if there is enough life in it to go the 30 seconds.

EDIT....just noticed you already have a fuse. Time to start looking for bad connections.
By bozlightyear
i have 3 other batteries that were charged and stuck it in and it works fine. I thought the purpose of the aftermarket batteries were to not have this happen vs the factory battery ?
By bozlightyear
all connections were good i went thru the whole harness and it didnt work until i swapped batteries. Could the new battery have a bad cell or something?
By Suburbancharlie77
Yep. New stuff ships broken all the time. Contact the dealer, they may not need it returned, but don't toss the old until you get the replacement and your credit card statement.
By taz11
take a peak in the fuse holder, is it a fuse or a circuit breaker? If it only does it with that battery, the problem is on the battery side of the vehicle connector for sure.
By bozlightyear
Suburbancharlie77 wrote:11.3?
Is that static?
According to my charts, 11.3 is deader than an old old old door nail! 11.5 is a 10% charge. I do my best to try to keep my batteries above 12.2V.
If you are down in 11's, not under a load, your going to ℉ω¢& that battery up.

Have a look here for some battery info.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20223&p=141651#p141651

after reading some other info i came across some stuff that basically said the same thing your saying I was unaware.
By bozlightyear
Ok so factory powerwheel battery was put in and 1 push of the gas and it stopped working again. I guess it's not the battery. It seems to stop if there is any kind of resistance on the motors or car. Would that be the motors ? Or switch on the throttle or shifter ?
By Suburbancharlie77
Just for giggles, and a diagnostic on the battery's own thermal, since I'm imagining the p.w battery was used, wire in a 20 amp FUSE and see if it blows, then try a 30.
If the 20 doesn't blow, it's the thermals in the batteries.
If you blow the 30, start taking resistance readings on each component INDIVIDUALLY! Yes, that means removing wires, because wires lead back to other parts that can and will falsify your readings. Start at either end, but if you say you have batteries that don't do this, to me, it still goes back to the batteries that are failing.

Most of the ESCs should have current limiting buil[…]

Lightning McQueen wiring help

Collage_Fotor.jpg

My son's Hurricane Extreme

I have a hurricane extreme but it did not come wit[…]

Where to find batteries

Thanks

HobbyMasters Udemy Course