M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
vehicles with a circuit board controlling the motors
P1030315.jpg
Audi TT
I Would like to upgrade my sons Audi TT RC rideon from 6v to 12v using 2 6v battery's or what ever method you guys think is best. I have two 6v battery's, but as it is only has a single wheeled motor with a RC remote i would like to know if it is worth the hassle and money converting or should i just buy a 12v rideon which i would want to upgrade to 24v at a later date...Appreciate any advice..!!. I have read other post that say because it has a single wheeled motor i will need to fit another motor on to the other wheel to avoid traction problems plus other tech stuff...I am totally new to this my experience level of electrical mechanics is a big fat zero but really want to learn this as i plan to buy many more rideons as my son is madly in love with all things Cars...!!.
P1030326.jpg
steering wheel and foot pedal
P1030329.jpg
main side controls
P1030370.jpg
rear wheels
P1030371.jpg
single wheel motor closeup
P1030371.jpg (112.19 KiB) Viewed 7144 times
P1030366.jpg
RC bars
P1030337.jpg
underneith seat battery compartment 01
P1030339.jpg
underneith seat battery compartment 02
P1030379.jpg
wires

My main aim is to make it faster without burning out the motor and messing up the gear box...my son has just turned 3 and no longer requires my assistants with the RC remote so this function is no longer needed even though it is good for if you need to move the car without his assistance.. :roll: ......
Last edited by Randy on Tue May 07, 2013 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
I got my son the same car, even though he was happy with it, I wasn't!

First off you will need to go 2wd, real easy to do. You'll need one of these (eBay item 150999213867), dont worry about left or right fitment, it doesn't matter. I then replaced the motors in the gearbox's with these (eBay item 230740063773). I had to contact the eBay seller who sold me the car to get a replacement wheel adapter, I should say if you looked hard enough you would find one on the net.

Then it's just a case of chucking into the car which is easy, just wire up the new motors together making sure they spin the right way! And your sorted. I took the RC control board, steering motor and all the wiring out but it will work running 12v. If you want to run 2 6v battery's then you will have to strap the 2nd battery to the body support that's behind the seat.

I wired upto 18v today and the motors/gearbox's handled it well and the car flew across the garden so you will have scope to upgrade it further as your kid grows

Hope this helps
I have the same Audi TT car - can you post pictures of what you did? I actually just put a 12v batter in mine and re-wired it to not use the the circuit board. My daughter drove it (really fast) a few times, hit a few curbs, and now the gearbox is toast! I opened it up and the main big gear is all broken. Can I replace just one gear, or do I have to get the whole new gearbox?
I removed the RC circuit board from under seat and connected the orange and blue wires to the motor plug.

Then removed the wires from the pedal/RC switch

Then cut the relevant red and black wires from the forward/reverse switch

Then removed the gearbox from the steering shaft along with the wiring. I strongly recommend this, it makes it a hell of a lot easier for the little ones to steer the car

Screwed the wheel adapter on, added the second gearbox and wired upto the original motor wiring as seen in first photo

And this is where I put the additional 6v battery (not currently fitted)

As for your gearbox, you will need a replacement. I opted for the hummer box (paste item number into eBay search bar) as I couldn't find an original. Keep in mind the hummer motor spins at a lower rpm than the TT, hence why I replaced both of mine with a high revving matching pair. If you need any more help give me a shout
Jonesie thanks for your reply and explanation i really appreciate it, had almost given up on anyone replying to this post..I will order the components needed and probably buy a 12v battery instead of attaching 2 6v to make life easier plus like yourself i will be looking to upgrade it to 18v when my littleman shows me he is ready to move up from 12v..again thanks alot an will be sure to let you know how i get on....!!
Happy to help. One last thing I forgot to mention, once you've wired up to 12v you'll need to remove the trip switch, it's the little box on the positive wire next to the battery. Otherwise the car will cut out if driven across grass. You can put a normal 30amp car fuse in its place.
Ok so i finally goto work on my son's Audi, after waiting ages finding and ordering the right parts..stripped out and wired up everything, decided to use 1 12v battery instead of 2 6v to save on space an confusion on my part..
IMAG1436.jpg
finally get to start work on my son car
IMAG1437.jpg
all wired up and good to go..

After fitting the second rear wheel drive gearbox which came with the motor attached,
IMAG1434.jpg
IMAG1433.jpg
. I started her up and it all worked fine, nothing blew-up or melted or fell apart, i was pleased with myself until i noticed one wheel was rotating alot faster than the other.
IMAG1429.jpg
wired and ready

So i knew it had to be the difference in the two motors, so after taking off both gearboxes and taking out the motors i see that one motor is 545 and the original is 550, i thought no problem i have an extra 545 motor that i bought as i was not sure if the gearbox i purchased would come with one..so although slower i would use it to even up the rotation until i could find another 550 motor as it was much faster...

but what i did not know is that the motors do not come with the things called pinions attached and you have to buy that separate.....
IMAG1443.jpg
2 motors 545 and 550
Pissed, so now i have to head back to ebay, (which buy the way is my new best friend) and purchased a pinion to fit that extra motor, and while i'm at it i will search for a 550 motor wit.. pinion and fit that instead...so that is my plight so far...

I put my little man in it for a test drive and the audi really moves now but will not turn properly to the right as the power in the right wheel from the 550 motor is that much greater than the 545 motor on the left so it just continues to power straight forward. so now its parked up once again until i can get hold of a 550 motor which should not be that hard to find but the summer is slowly fading away..!!
Attachments
IMAG1443_1.png
original 550 motor that came with the car
Jonesie wrote:I got my son the same car, even though he was happy with it, I wasn't!

First off you will need to go 2wd, real easy to do. You'll need one of these (eBay item 150999213867), dont worry about left or right fitment, it doesn't matter. I then replaced the motors in the gearbox's with these (eBay item 230740063773). I had to contact the eBay seller who sold me the car to get a replacement wheel adapter, I should say if you looked hard enough you would find one on the net.

Then it's just a case of chucking into the car which is easy, just wire up the new motors together making sure they spin the right way! And your sorted. I took the RC control board, steering motor and all the wiring out but it will work running 12v. If you want to run 2 6v battery's then you will have to strap the 2nd battery to the body support that's behind the seat.

I wired upto 18v today and the motors/gearbox's handled it well and the car flew across the garden so you will have scope to upgrade it further as your kid grows

Hope this helps

Hate to bring up an older thread, but...

Since these old ebay.com numbers are no longer working, I wonder if someone could edit this post with a picture and description of the pars called for.
I have the Aria VW Beetle, and one wheel drive cant even climb my slightly sloped driveway. Due to the age of the toy and the lack of explicit specifications on parts supply sites, I figure I'll just get two motors with gearbox in order to make this a 12V two wheel drive machine.
Aria 6V Gearbox Mini Cooper ARGEAR001 from kidswheels dot com.
Or the 12V Mini Moto 12V Gearbox MMG1201 Left and Right.
They look like they use the same hub.

Thoughts?

Steve

So I would also recommend CJB Turbo Timer setup bo[…]

I am upgrading a Best Choice 12v Jeep purchased fr[…]

mine has a chrome housing with clear lens covers..[…]

Hammer! Wow.... Great info... Thank you Reading […]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course