HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
vehicles with a circuit board controlling the motors
By AspieJosh
I have bought my daughter a BMW I8 that runs off of 6V, it is painfully slow and barely has enough torque to drive on small terrain like the front lawn. I have looked up modding it and found that running another duplicate battery in series should give it the extra power it definitely needs. I have ordered and received the duplicate battery and know how to splice it in series but I am concerned with the electronic circuit board, everything is pushed through that circuit, If I add the other 6V in series the voltage increases but the current remains the same (from what I have read) from what I gather online it is usually current that fries the electronics not so much the voltage.

Long story short, will I be safe adding the second 6V batter in series or do I risk permanently damaging the circuit board?
By toycrusher
Sometimes they work just fine, sometimes they fry. If you scroll to the bottom of my wiring diagram thread (in my signature), I have a simple diagram for upgrading cars with circuit boards that lets you keep the original board and feayures without the risk of frying it.
By AspieJosh
Thanks a lot Toycrusher, I have been searching all over for something like this, definitely couldn't find it during my searches. Either way thanks a lot, looks like I am not the only one who finds the 6V Chinese rides to be horrendously slow. :D :D
By AspieJosh
So after pulling the circuit board out, I can see the PCB has been labeled with r12V and -12V on the power leads, I would assume this means I can safely supply the 12V I would like to add but I am still Leary about frying it haha.

Are these things easy to replace or at-least attainable? :lol: :lol:

Its the Avigo BMW i8 6v btw. I can find replacement parts for everything except for the circuit board online. I have contacted the parts company to see if they can get one for me if need be.

Every part on the board seems to be able to handle the 12V, trying to dig up information about the RF chip as I believe it may be the only parts at risk of being fried by the 12v. Not having much luck at the moment.
Attachments
car.jpg
Last edited by AspieJosh on Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
By toycrusher
That's just one type of circuit breaker. An inline fuse is more common to use
By AspieJosh
Okay thanks, I will wait to see what Avigo says for the cost of the replacement board while I wait for my relays to come in the mail, if the cost of the board is not terribly priced I will just double up on the battery and see if the board can handle it.

Thanks again!
By toycrusher
Be sure to let us know!
By AspieJosh
"Dear Josh,

Thank you for reaching out! The circuit board for the remote control model is not available. The factory has deemed that it is not a part we can offer for replacement under warranty or for sale. Sorry I could not be more helpful. Thanks and have a nice day!"

Darn not the response I was hoping for. Guess we are doing the bypass.
By sarcino
I know this may not make sense. I bought the Bmw 6v for my 2 year old..he wasn't really getting the hang of driving yet...actually I think he was younger than 2..lol..I wanted to upgrade but I found it was more of a pain getting parts and I'm not the most mechanically inclined person. So I did it the easy way and I think which actually works better for me. I bought the 12v BMW I8 for $320 tax and shipping included. I found that one, I now have the extra power I wanted for my sons car but also more importantly I have an override remote control Also I think now I can with this forums help, try to bump it up to 18v. Maybe sell the 6v and get the 12.

word of caution..this stuff is made in china, remote is kinda of chincy and I've already had to get a new receiver (for the remote control). darn thing went bad and my son almost drove into a passing car which I couldn't stop because the stupid remote..

Other than that..it's been great...I wish I could find a beat up one so I can do modifications without fear of wrecking it and losing money..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-i8-Concept- ... Sw-7RVFEz5

Good Luck

Full Wire Harness ($150) I have an unfinished proj[…]

I know this thread is getting kind of old by now b[…]

Quad Damage (1st gear delete mod)

Chart, that rubber grip looks like it would eat th[…]

If you're using stock motors and gearbox be carefu[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course