HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
vehicles with a circuit board controlling the motors
By wired
I am going to add a motor/GB to a LIL JEEP to make it 2 wheel drive. I am putting this together as a gift. I was planning on wiring the motors in series and changing the battery to a 12v 5ah(this may change depending on run time). I am not needing more speed but need to just add traction and keep the option later on to make it faster.Has anyone else done this mod with the motors wired in series to keep the speed pretty much stock? :?:
Last edited by wired on Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By wired
Mission accomplished. Changed from one 3b GB to two 3a GB's in series. Works just like I had hoped. I even patched in a 6v along with the 12v battery to make it an 18v series circuit. Really nice speed and performance for a novice/young driver. The lil jeep no longer gets stuck in the grass. Doubling the load and the voltage keeps the current the same and the wiring doesn't even get warm.I plan on using the stock 6v 4ah battery ( battery plug will help with keeping the jeep side wiring as stock as possible) and a 12v 5ah battery with a fast/slow selector switch under the hood. There will also be charging posts or a port for use with a 6v/12v auto battery charger. Those few features will keep it headache free for the parents(pit crew).
Attachments
abbymobile (4).jpg
Extra motor wired in series. . Does not get stuck.
abbymobile (2).jpg
roughed in
abbymobile (1).jpg
charging ports and high/low switch. Switches from 12v to 18v.
abbymobile (5).jpg
Reflective tape for blinkers marker lights.
Last edited by wired on Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
By wired
Not quite done yet. 12v to 18v battery option installed. Lights should be completed this week.
By wired
Jeep delivered to new owner. Custom textured vinyl carbon fiber lettering. LED headlights. LED underglow. 12v to 18v dual motor option under hood. Separate 6v/12v charging posts. Custom lighted LED rocker switch. I bought a pack of lighted rocker switches off ebay that ended up having all the lights burned out so I had to install a 3mm led with an in-line resistor. The underglow I made ended up working out better than planned. The glow was nice and subtle but the reverse glow in the floorboard illuminated the interior including the fwd/reverse switches. Nice surprise. Installed reflective tape in place of all the blinker and light decals. Nice little safety feature. The jeep performed great in high grass and tackled small obstacles with absolutely no problem. My first custom upgrade. Luckily, It will be in the family for years to come. :D
By wired
I took a couple of videos and currently don't have a way to post them. I will get some pics up after I speak with the new pit crew. The only thing added after the other pics was the lighting. I covered the headlight decals with reflective tape and then added some 24 SMD G4 lights for headlights and covered with some fluorescent light diffuser panel I cut out to make lens. Gives it a more realistic look in the daytime. The under glow was a 6-5050SMD purple light strip. I might have a couple more pics I could dig up. I recently had the pleasure of a corrupted hard drive and I lost a ton of data (working on the retrieval later this week). That gearbox is hanging in there.
By wired
Some pictures from the new owners. Note to self: take more pictures.
Attachments
abbyjeep4 (2).jpg
Battery cut-out switches and charging posts. Two batteries under fake motor. 18v total.
abbyjeep4.jpg
LED Headlights.
abbyjeep4 (5).jpg
Switch install location on left panel. (added led light to switch)
abbyjeep4 (7).jpg
LED headlights and purple underglow. Subtle.
abbyjeep4 (6).jpg
Headlight lenses made from fluorescent light diffuser panel. Time crunch.
By civicturbo
Sounds like cool mods, heads up if your drive is a seagate 1TB like mine they have know trouble and the data can be recovered by sending it in. The firmware is the culprit. I caught mine before it died, it was locking up my PC once a day so I dug up the info and updated the firmware. Now no freezing, I got lucky.
All may not be lost, hope This helps
By toycrusher
Where did you fit your batteries? Did they both go under the "hood"?
By toycrusher
Did you modify the battery compartment? I used a hot knife to trim out the ribs to fit an LBD-14 in there. It was difficult, curious to see if you have a better way to do it.
By wired
I used an xacto knife to cut out the small ribs in the bottom of the battery compartment. The plastic was soft and it only took a few minutes. It helps to have a blade with the edge on the front. You can use the knife like a small chisel and push your way through the plastic.
By Gruber_Power
wired wrote:I used an xacto knife to cut out the small ribs in the bottom of the battery compartment. The plastic was soft and it only took a few minutes. It helps to have a blade with the edge on the front. You can use the knife like a small chisel and push your way through the plastic.

That fake motor looks awesome!!!
By wired
It's easy to just add a matching motor/gearbox. Post an ad in the wanted section for a motor, gearbox and driver.
Hi guys I'm Ben

Hey I'm new here. Just got a used dune racer cheap[…]

Power wheel moves on its own

I'll check but I dont believe thats the issue, its[…]

Thanks. Yea I hear ya, our kids wear helmets too b[…]

Quad Damage (1st gear delete mod)

Awesome. Dude, you're a machine! I thought I was[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course