Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
High-RPM motors
sub-note: take care of these motors, they are extreeeeeemly hard to find, so if you blow it up or let out the magic smoke fixing it aint gonna be easy. :-(
By Nighthawk
I picked up a Super 6 Barbie Trail rider the other day, and it truly flies around my yard at 12V. My older daughter has a blast on it! My problem is that my younger daughter wants to ride it as well, but she's only 2. I had to run along side of her steering holding onto the handlebars as she rocketed around the backyard.

Since this isn't a good long term solution, I'd like to convert it to have Hi/Low speeds, and I saw a suggestion on the old site that I should swap in a harness from a 12V Jeep. Would the existing gear selector work? Or do I need to swap that out as well? Would any 12V PW harness work that has two-speed operation?
By jparthum
The shifter is a fairly important component to prevent 12V while in Reverse - Here is a Super-6 setup...

Super-6 Volt Single Battery Wiring Diagram (click to animate)

And here is a 12V (single battery) setup...

12 Volt Single Battery Wiring Diagram (click to animate)

The design of the dual-switch shifter used with the 12V harness requires that the HIGH/LOW switch be in LOW before the FWD/REV switch can be in REV, eliminating the possibility of HIGH/REV - if you were to keep the existing shifter and add a HIGH/LOW switch, then HIGH/REV would be possible (and very likely).

Another option would be to add a NOS button using a Relay and momentary switch, but it would require two 6V batteries instead of one 12V battery. This wouldn't eliminate the possibility of HIGH/REV, but it should eliminate accidental HIGH/REV (or accidental HIGH/FWD). :|
Last edited by jparthum on Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Nighthawk
Hm...then I guess I need a new shifter then? I was looking at it earlier this morning, and there's a lockout screw blocking one position. I was under the impression that there were two switches inside, and only one was actually usable due to the lockout. If I were Fisher-Price, I'd use the same shifter on all my vehicles to save money. Is that what they did here?
By broncoman96
I just bought a Barbie 4 wheeler also. I am going to change it to 12v, however I am new to this and I have a couple of questions. What are the super 6 motors and why is it a bad idea to have reverse in 12v. Thanks
By jparthum
Super-Six motors run at a higher RPM than those in standard 6V ride-ons, plus there are two motors instead of one. On 12V they can reach 6-8 MPH, which can be pretty dangerous in Reverse, especially for less experienced drivers.
By drew510
Nighthawk wrote:Hm...then I guess I need a new shifter then? I was looking at it earlier this morning, and there's a lockout screw blocking one position. I was under the impression that there were two switches inside, and only one was actually usable due to the lockout. If I were Fisher-Price, I'd use the same shifter on all my vehicles to save money. Is that what they did here?

They are the same shifter, but the Super Six one is missing a switch. You can buy the switch and put it in your shifter - along with the rest of the rewire.
What’s wrong?

I followed the wiring diagram and checked every co[…]

Why wont anyone help me??

Do you think that’s the best for running 18 volts?

Which battery for you choose

This is not a forum about RC cars. With a few exc[…]

Where to find batteries

Ebay. Depending on what battery you are replacing […]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course