Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
High-RPM motors
sub-note: take care of these motors, they are extreeeeeemly hard to find, so if you blow it up or let out the magic smoke fixing it aint gonna be easy. :-(
Here is a fairly simple method for upgrading a 'Super-6' vehicle to 12V, while maintaining the lower 6V speed when the vehicle is in Reverse. Clicking on these diagrams will open a new browser tab or window showing a slideshow of the different circuit states.

Here is a diagram of the original wiring configuration for a 'Super-6' vehicle...

Click to animate.

Here is a diagram showing the added components to double the vehicle's power only while travelling Forward...

Click to animate.

• 'RY1' and 'RY2' are 12V Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT, also known as '5-pin' or 'Bosch Style') Automotive Relays. These can be easily obtained at auto parts stores, or (of course) online - Alternately, a single Double Pole Double Throw (DPDT) Relay could be substituted for the two SPDT Relays shown.
  • The very thin wires shown are low current 'signal' wires which activate the Relays, and would be new wires added to the vehicle. Very small gauge (high AWG number) can be used for these circuits - I prefer to use telephone (CAT3) or Ethernet (CAT5/CAT6) cable.
  • If any new wire is needed for Relay connections shown with thicker wire in the diagram, 14 gauge or larger (lower number, IE: 12AWG/10AWG/etc.) should be used, along with matching .25" Female Spade Connectors (aka Disconnect F).

To simplify the low current/small gauge wiring to the Relays, I simply thread the wire through the holes in the Male Spade Terminals - the Female Spade Connectors will then hold it tightly in position. In these photos, I used a previously discarded Female Spade Connector (with the crimp portion cut off) to hold a short telephone wire jumper on the Relay Coil's Male Terminal...

This method should also work for the low current/small gauge wire connection to the vehicle's Forward/Reverse Switch.

NOTE: This could also be added to a vehicle without upgrading to 12V so that Forward would remain 6V and Reverse would be slowed to 3V, however the Relays would need to be rated at 6V as well, which are more difficult to locate. If the vehicle has only one motor and gearbox (not a Super-6), a second motor/GB would need to be added before this design could be used, regardless of Voltage.
Last edited by jparthum on Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
No problem rman! :)

Depending on how your specific vehicle is wired, you may be able to simply disconnect two leads from the motors (leaving the other two connected), and attach them to pins 87a on the Relays. You would then only need to run two new wires from pin 30 of each Relay back to the now empty motor terminals, connect a jumper between pins 87 of the Relays, and wire the low current (signal) circuits.
jparthum,

I rec'd my relays today, got them on ebay.

The resistors came with harnesses... Kind of nice, although not really necessary. Anyhow, on the harness I noticed there is a resistor between 85 & 86... I have no idea why it's there, should I snip it off?
Resistors? :?

Are you sure they aren't Diodes? Some Relays have a diode across the coil pins to prevent an electrical spike back into the power circuitry (to protect electronic circuits). If it has diodes you will just need to make sure the polarity on pins 85 and 86 is correct and it will function as normal.
Ive got a power wheels Fire Rock Jeep Wrangler.
Could you tell me if this is a Super 6?
If so im going to do the 12v modification.
Also is there a Module that can be built to add the ability to switch between 6v and 12v operation or would this be terribly hard to do and not worth the effort?
Xeen wrote:Ive got a power wheels Fire Rock Jeep Wrangler.
Could you tell me if this is a Super 6?
If so im going to do the 12v modification.
Yes, the Firerock is a Super-6. 8-)

Also is there a Module that can be built to add the ability to switch between 6v and 12v operation or would this be terribly hard to do and not worth the effort?
HIGH and LOW speeds for Forward would require another switch - simply adding another switch to this configuration would eliminate Reverse automatically dropping to 6V :( . That would probably be easier to do with a shifter from a 12V PW which already has two switches built-in. But in addition to wiring, that would require physically mounting the new shifter in the vehicle :| . A simpler option would be a 'NOS' or 'Turbo' button which only provides 12V when pressed - The driver would have the option of 12V in Forward or Reverse, but pressing the button would be required - either direction would normally be 6V.

FWIW: :idea: It wouldn't be too difficult to wire a 'NOS' or 'Turbo' button so that it is only functional in Forward - I could draw that up if you're interested in going that route...?
I see on the 12v Jeep Wrangler Rubicon there is a single shifter that controlls both forward speeds Slow, Fast and also Reverse, so it is a tripple switch, can I just add one of those to the FireRock and rewire the whole thing like the Rubicon to get the result I want?
Last edited by Xeen on Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks for the Link and ah yes I see from your diagram it is just a double switch.
Is it difficult to add in that speed shifter or will it fit in the place of the stock Rev/Fwd switch?
IM wondering though if there is a different three position non-PW mechanical switch I could use instead of that stock shifter?
Hi, I'm new here... Nice to meet everyone!

I just picked up a Ford Flashback super 6v off Craigslist for my son. Originally I was looking online for decal packages, since I stripped it down and repainted it. I stumbled across this website and I became immediately hooked to the fever you all have! Thank you!

Anyhow, to my question: I want to upgrade this to a 12v. I checked out this thread and many more, so I've tried to do research without asking questions. But, in buying the relay... There are so many spdt 5 pins it gets confusing. I found a 12 vdc 5 pin realy from Tyco, it's a 20/30 amp kind. I also checked out many of my local auto stores. The auto stores are asking anywhere from $20-$35 dollars for one, online they show up averaging less than $5.00. Which ones can I use, which ones are bad? Also, I have many 6v Power Wheels batteries, all with 9.5 amh (I believe I wrote that right, I'm still new). Can I just use two of those battery that match? I've tested them all and they are fine. I also have a Harley motor cycle P.W. that's just sitting around, it all ready is wired for 2 6v's, can I use parts out of that?

Thanks for being understand and for your help in advance. Like I said, this is all new to me, so please don't slam me.

~Bowl
Hi, welcome to the site! :)

Keep in mind that adding theses Relays isn't necessary - you can simply connect a 12V battery (or two 6V batteries connected in Series) in place of the original 6V - however, the speed would be doubled while in Reverse as well. :| The purpose of adding these Relays is to drop the speed in Reverse (only) back down to the original 6V speed.

I don't know why auto parts stores charge so much more for Relays :? , but all that really matters is that they are 12V, have terminals you can easily connect to (automotive style), are Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT, not SPST - Single Throw), and are rated for at least 30 Amps (the higher the better, I like to stay at or above 40A).

You can certainly use two 6V batteries wired in Series to achieve 12V, but if you use factory batteries, you run the risk that the Amperage rating for the built-in, self-resetting breakers will not be high enough. This generally won't cause any damage, but may cause the vehicle to constantly trip breakers. :(

The Harleys are excellent parts vehicles (their gearboxes have the highest gear ratio :twisted: ), but unless you need to replace any factory components in your Super-6, I don't think any of the Harley parts would be useful for this.

IMO, upgrading a Super-6 vehicle to 12V is the easiest, most effective upgrade there is. And it opens the door to other easy mods (lighting, sound system, etc.) because 12V is the industry standard for autos. 8-)
Awesome, I think I will do that. I just hope it's not too fast in reverse, it might scare my son! haha I do want to do other mods, so I'm excited to be here. I also have that Harley and a Barbie one for my daughter, she's only 1 now, so it will be a little while.

Would there be any way to tell if the batteries would work in series before actually hooking them up like that, or is it just trial and error?

I'm super stoked. I just have to finish painting, do some wiring, and see if I can find some decals!
As far as whether the breakers will trip or not, that's going to mostly come down to trial-and-error :| . Anything that increases physical resistance (makes the car harder to 'push'), will also increase electrical resistance, causing more Amps to be drawn. So things like the driver's weight and the surface being driven on will have a big impact on how much power is drawn from the batteries.

Cleaning and tightening all of the electrical contact points, including the contacts inside of the switches may help reduce electrical resistance so that more Amps reach the motors (better efficiency).

The stickers for that specific model may be hard to find, but here are some generic F-150 stickers from a site sponsor that might work for you...?

Just about everything you would want to know (and then some) is on this site somewhere, but sometimes it can be a little hard to locate :? . So be sure and ask any questions you may have - we love to help. :)
Rrrr, i saw it earlier. I saw diagrams for the series (two 6vs) earlier and now I can't find them. Can you steer me in the right direction?
It's shown in the second diagram in this thread ^.

Very simple - Hook the Positive [+] from one battery to the Negative [-] on the other battery, the unused or 'left-over' Positive [+] and Negative [-] are now 12V. :)
Last edited by jparthum on Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweet, thanks, that's what I thought... but I didn't want to screw up my Super 6!

jparthum wrote:It's shown in the second diagram in this thread ^.

Very simple - Hook the Positive [+] from one battery to the Negative [-] on the other battery, the unused or 'left-over' Positive [+] and Negative [-] are now 12V. :)
Ok, I ran my batteries (two 6v) in series. Now with the PW connectors taken off, how do I charge them? I'm a nube, but with direction I can do almost anything. All I have available for chargers right now is a PW 6v quick charger, a 12v quick charger, and a standard 6v PW charger. Can I use any of them and how. Should I cut the PW connectors off of them too and just attach them to the batteries that need to be charged? Thanks, I'm working on this right now, so quick answers would be helpful.

Jeremiah
You can either charge them in Series with the 12V charger, or individually with the 6V charger. If you choose to charge them in Series, I would recommend still occasionally charging them individually (every 4th or 5th charging cycle..?). If/when you charge them individually, you do not need to disconnect the batteries from each other. See if this helps to 'visualize' the Voltages taps...

HIGH and LOW speeds for Forward would require another switch - simply adding another switch to this configuration would eliminate Reverse automatically dropping to 6V :( . That would probably be easier to do with a shifter from a 12V PW which already has two switches built-in. But in addition to wiring, that would require physically mounting the new shifter in the vehicle :| . A simpler option would be a 'NOS' or 'Turbo' button which only provides 12V when pressed - The driver would have the option of 12V in Forward or Reverse, but pressing the button would be required - either direction would normally be 6V.

FWIW: :idea: It wouldn't be too difficult to wire a 'NOS' or 'Turbo' button so that it is only functional in Forward - I could draw that up if you're interested in going that route...?[/quote]

I would love this diagram if you wouldn't mind drawing it up.

Here is what I am wanting to do. I have a 6V super six, I would like to upgrade to 12V by using two 6V batteries wired in series. I want the reverse to always be 6V and forward to be 6V but have a "boost button" to go 12V. The only thing that is a bit different is that instead of having a boost button for the driver I want to mount the switch on the back of the car so I have control of the forward voltage by using a rocker or toggle switch or something. The reason for this is my son drives partly in neighborhood and partly in a wide open area so I want the car to be in 6V in the neighborhood for safety reasons then open it up for him in the wide open areas.

If you wouldn't mind helping me figure out the wiring diagram for this I would really appreciate it. Thank you!
Absinthminded wrote:How can I achieve low speed reverse with a 18v set up using 3-6v batteries in series on a super six car with just forward and reverse?

If you want to wire it yourself here is a diagram. http://powerwheelscd.com/images/shifterwiring.pdf

What model power wheels is it?
I was hoping it was a McQueen... It doesn't have a hi/low switch, but the shifter already has a hole to put the switch in. You can add the switch and wire it yourself, or Just use a harness from a 12v jeep, or Mustang. You may have to add a little wire somewhere for it to fit. I did the same mod to my kids McQueen.
Last edited by sea_stork on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Using a jeep or mustang harness is just easier than wiring it yourself. You may have to add a little wire to fit it in. It just hit me your trying to go 18v on super 6 motors. They won't last, 18v will smoke those motors in no time. 12v should be plenty, and will make McQueen faster than a 12v PW on 18v.
Does anyone know if the hello kitty coupe qualifies as a Super-6? I want to surprise my daughter and double the speed, but I'm worried about going through all the work and then ruining her car. Its not the mini coup one. Thank you for all your help!!! Newbie here!!
If it's not a Fisher Price power wheels brand toy, it's not a super 6. Only Fisher Price power wheels that use one red 6v battery are super 6.
Thanks for taking the time to post this jparthum and sea_stork. New member here who just got a super six McQueen for my 3 year old on Craigslist. It had a dead battery so I already bumped it to 12v for him to have more fun. It's pretty fast at 12v and he's not quite mastered reverse so I may do this mod soon either the new harness with added switch or the relays that run the motors in series in reverse.

The McQueen is a favorite already. It started a few weeks ago with a lil jeep my wire picked up and asked me to speed up a bit. I added a 2nd motor to it for 2wd and put it at 12v since it was too easy to get stuck and a but slow once my son learned to steer.

Painting in progress

Need help with non powerwheels

There's no real simple answer here but you could a[…]

NEED HELP LOADING PICTURES

I’m new on this site and need help loading picture[…]

Hi All, Grandpa just got our 2 year old a Power W[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course