Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
for 12v vehicles that NEED to be upgraded to 18v
I've got all my power wheels (4 right now) and 3 others all converted to 18v using Lithium Ion batteries from Makita, it's really easy, there is no cutting involved (even the stock connector), and it's guaranteed to not have issues mounting batteries, the batteries are 4.5ah and are available on ebay for $55 give to take a few dollars.

I did however just purchase two setups to convert two cars to 18v with the 3 6v 12ah batteries , that was also very costly and I am trying it out to see if I prefer one version over the other.

I was thinking of selling a conversion kit on ebay or here for that matter (not so much for profit, I have a day job, just figured something for fun), I figure 1 battery and charger would cost $100 roughly, the wiring and circuit breaker w/ connectors would be around $10, make up some nice how to videos and some paper directions and post them for sale, the issue is I think people would have a hard time paying $150 for something like this. I also thought of including HPI Motors with the gears installed for another $40-50.

I wanted to initially go 18v but was a bit overwhelmed at the switches and wiring diagrams involved, so I came up with an idea that actually worked, the run time is around 10-15 min per battery, it takes 10 seconds to change to a new battery which can actually be stored next to the other battery.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by JimmyPGE on Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I can tell that the cars will start to slow down, sometimes the batteries get hot and have to cool before charging, I have not had any issues with over-discharge, they have been working out great for about two months now. The batteries always take a good charge and have maintained 20+ volts charged.
But now you're talking about selling this tom someone else and just "hoping" that their kid will recognize when a battery is getting hot from over-discharging and eventually catching fire. You absolutely have to put a low voltage cutoff circuit in line if you're expecting a little kid to use them. Else you'll be giving up your house to the lawsuit.
Hobbymasters wrote:But now you're talking about selling this tom someone else and just "hoping" that their kid will recognize when a battery is getting hot from over-discharging and eventually catching fire. You absolutely have to put a low voltage cutoff circuit in line if you're expecting a little kid to use them. Else you'll be giving up your house to the lawsuit.

Actually I'm not hoping that a kid will notice anything, I watch my son and his friends 100% of the time, as I would expect any responsible parent who let's their little ones race around in the street with cars that are going about 10mph.

The battery's themselves have over charge protection built in, here's the literature:

http://www.makitatools.com/en-us/Module ... ction.aspx
Well since you think $150 is ridiculous, as I to think most would, how does this add up, $30 for a Schacumacer charger, $40 for the batteries, $40+ for the 3 dpdt 30a switches, tons of 10 gauge wiring and connectors and what are we at $110 plus wire and connectors, plus charging lugs and all the time to install the setup.

In that case then I can retire the long wire conne[…]

well the wires got hot at the switches to the moto[…]

Increasing voltage question

The motor's "nominal voltage rating" is […]

Thanks for the update!

HobbyMasters Udemy Course