HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
for 12v vehicles that NEED to be upgraded to 18v
By jackthezipper
Ford F-150 6V to 18V convert Battery/Motor over heating Problems.
Why does this happern? After converting my sons 6V F-150 to 18V the truck will run fast as lightning for a minute or two then die. I made sure to use the OEM power wheels GREY 12v 9Ah battery. This matches the RED 6v 9Ah battery the truck came with. It seems like there is a thermal switch somewhere keeping it from over heating the motors. After a brief "cool down" period the truck will run again for another minute or two and die. Is this at all close to the problem and is there a fix for this issue? Please help.
By taz11
You're running too much juice through it. S6volt cars don't do well over 12v. You're essentially doing the same as pushing 36 volts through a 12v car. You can't run that kind of voltage through a stock vehicle (for long) without major negative effects. Drop it back to 12v and it should be fine.

Double the stock voltage is usually the most you can get away with. 3xs the stock voltage is asking for smoke or worse.
Last edited by taz11 on Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By jackthezipper
Thank you for your help. Since I am new to power wheels modifications, the link you attached with the upgraded motors "banebot 775" seem to be capeable of handling the 18v power source. I would like to swap out my original 7 series motors with these better ones, what else is needed to go with the order and does the gear box need an upgrade as well. In short can I buy an all in one upgrade package or do you recommend a specific list of parts to make the f-150 run 18-24 volts full time. Also before I forget is the 12.5 bike tire the right size to fit on the f-150 wheels for added traction?
By taz11
There is a thread on them in the reviews section. Those motors are more for torque than speed. They are slower than the stock motors, but will climb the side of a barn without bogging.

In that case then I can retire the long wire conne[…]

well the wires got hot at the switches to the moto[…]

Increasing voltage question

The motor's "nominal voltage rating" is […]

Thanks for the update!

HobbyMasters Udemy Course