Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
for 12v vehicles that NEED to be upgraded to 18v
Hello all, first post. I have a Barbie Sunjammer Jeep that I recently picked up, and upgraded to three 6 volt, 14 Ah batteries wired in series for 18 volts. Now my question is, can I also at the same time have a wiring harness hooked up that is wired in parallel for charging the batteries? Basically, it would look something like this-
Attachments
WIN_20151122_133352.JPG
Yup! :ugeek: ;)
Multiple short circuits as drawn. Trace back your dashed (parallel/charging) wires back through your solid (series/18v power) wires and you will see the short circuits. If you are going to try this make sure you have a separate fuse on each battery to prevent damage and/or harm to all.

Keep a fire extinguisher and first aid kit close by.
Last edited by wired on Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ahh.... I see now. I'm trying to make it so I don't have to keep disconnecting and reconnecting everything whenever I need to charge. I guess to make this work, I'd have to have on/off switches between the batteries in both the parallel and series harness, and then remember to switch off one harness before switching on the other. I may still go this route.
Yes, this can be accomplished with the use of switches but it won't be totally kidproof. With some training and restraint it can work. I did manage to get this setup to work with a single triple pole double throw switch and some diodes but I think it was more trouble than it was worth. Several have gone the route of using relays but it gets costly and time consuming. Switches are simple, easy and cheap. Just remember to fuse all the batteries until you get a safe working circuit that works for you and your needs.
Last edited by wired on Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:oops: :oops: :oops:

My major bad! :o

We use that setup all the time on boats but the chargers have multiple banks for each battery!
I've modified my original photo to show what I plan on doing with switches.

-The green switches will be turned on and all other switches will be turned off when the vehicle is to be powered to 18 volts.

-The green switches will be off, and the two red and two black switches between the batteries will all be on to charge for 6 volts.

-By turning on the first green switch (on the left), turning off the second green switch, turning the second black switch (on the right), and turning the other switches off I can turn the power down to 12 volts for the Jeep.

In reality, there are 3 different ways to turn the power down to 12 volts by switching a battery out of the series. I think I may go this route in the not-too-distant future. I'll just make sure the little kids don't get their hands inside the battery tray.
Attachments
WIN_20151122_133352.JPG

This should help. The relay now looks like it's r[…]

I believe I have the same power wheels role play m[…]

HELLO!

Welcome. That's exactly why this site exists. Spen[…]

Increasing voltage question

I have power wheels f250 12 volt, I am an HVAC tec[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course