HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
for 12v vehicles that NEED to be upgraded to 18v
By cmaheden
A little background first. I have a 12V F-150 PW with 7R gearbox and 16t pinion, I found this site after hooking up another 12V battery (24V) and frying both motors. Kids loved it for the 1 minute it lasted if that.
Anyway since then about a year ago Ive done a ton of reading and let me say that all you that give advice and knowledge is awesome. So far I have changed motors to the Traxxas Titan Marine 1585, I chose them due to the grassy hilly terrain and may be a bit slower than stock but not noticeable. I have added pneumatic rubber tires, a .47ohm resister to soften the breaks, and a better 12V sealed battery. For a year the thing has been bullet proof but the kids are getting bored and want faster. So whats a dad to do lol. I'm looking for experience or opinions and not so much on the tech side as I can search and read up, should I convert to 18V or just leave it at 12V? My concern is blowing the gearbox with the rubber tires and have considered adding an ECS or going back to the plastic tires to try the 18V. From what ive learned so far is that 18V is ok if you add fans and heat sinks to the motors and dont have any traction upgrades. Thanks for any responses.
By tafpowerwheel
Sounds like you have a great start. I think the titans can handle 18v ok from what Ive read. With the setup you have I would do an ESC but plastic tires would be quicker and easier since you dont have to worry about adding brakes like you do with an ESC.
Welcome to the forum
By toycrusher
You may consider using something like this. It's basically a simpler cheaper ESC. Only needs power in and out, you can keep the original shifter. You can use a slide rheostat integrated into the stock gas pedal if you want which would let you keep the auto brake feature.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAX-10-50V-2000 ... SwHnFVvr2I
By Jonny4862
Just got my son kawasaki 12v quad and he wants me to upgrade it, it states 12v Motor in the manual, will it handle an upgrade to 18v?
By cmaheden
Hey thanks for the replies and toycrusher thanks for that. All the reading ive done on upgrading to 18v and I haven't come across that critter yet. Cheap and easy is what I like lol. Looks simple enough to rig up the little button under the stock pedal. I'm assuming the little button looking thing is the slide rheostat? I ordered one up and will keep you all posted but will keep things at 12v till i get it installed. Was thinking of a speed switch off a cordless drill but after some reading I found out it wouldn't handle it.
As for you Jonny you are in the right place to figure out your upgrade. I'm not familiar with your particular quad but from what Ive read the quads are a little different (have a circuit bored that can't handle the 18V). That being said there is tons of info on here for upgrading to 18V. Do a few searches and get ready to do a ton of reading lol.
By cmaheden
Looking at that motor speed controller closer is that a rotary type, and if so has anyone mounted one to a stock pedal. Like the idea and cheap though
By toycrusher
cmaheden wrote:Looking at that motor speed controller closer is that a rotary type, and if so has anyone mounted one to a stock pedal. Like the idea and cheap though

The controller comes with a typical twist-pot but any slide pot could take it's place. I haven't gotten around to trying it myself but another member attached the slide pot to the long screw in the original gas pedal that acts as a stop.
By cmaheden
Ive done a ton of searches but do you happen to know where that post is. Ive been looking on ebay and cant find a slide pot, unless Im looking for the wrong thing.
Anyway thanks again for all the help
By cmaheden
Ok am I dumb. Found a ton on ebay I'll just have to measure what length I'll need but is there any specific rating to get. Seems to be a few to choose from
By tafpowerwheel
toycrusher wrote:You may consider using something like this. It's basically a simpler cheaper ESC. Only needs power in and out, you can keep the original shifter. You can use a slide rheostat integrated into the stock gas pedal if you want which would let you keep the auto brake feature.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAX-10-50V-2000 ... SwHnFVvr2I

thats awesome, I never thought about something like that
By cmaheden
Well I finally finished the 18v upgrade on the F-150. I ended up using this controller ( http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DC-10-50V-60A-Mo ... SwPgxVOeVw ) with an 18mm slide pot mounted under the gas pedal and bypassed the stock pedal switch. It also has no electric braking now but not needed for our yard. Changed the motors to Traxxas 1585 Titan Marine 550s. I added a key ignition with indicator light, and an 18v turbo switch with indicator light that activates the relay for 12-18v. The kids love the keyed ignition, lights and switch. 2 6v batteries fit under the seats and the 12v under the hood with all the wiring. I went with 2 6v batteries so I could fit them under the seat. Glad I cant post pics because its not nice and tidy like ive seen on here but it works lol. Could post my wiring diagram if someone wants though.
For speed comparison we have a preg 24v rzr and the truck is a little faster than it now. The kids fight over the truck and don't want to ride the rzr now, I guess its time for a rzr upgrade next.
By Badino
Hi.
I'm thinking of doing a similar project.

1. Why did you choose the bigger pwm?
2. Which value sliding pot did you use?
NEED HELP LOADING PICTURES

I’m new on this site and need help loading picture[…]

Hey everyone I thought I'd have a crack at getting[…]

Hi All, Grandpa just got our 2 year old a Power W[…]

Shooting a TV commercial and need two mod power wh[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course