HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
for 12v vehicles that NEED to be upgraded to 18v
By SpeedyTots
New guy here. A friend is giving me an older 12v peg perego John Deere Gator. Only issue is its been in storage for the last couple of years and the battery is gone.

My question -- I already have a couple of lithium ion 40v ryobi battery packs that I use with a set of lawn tools (string trimmer, chainsaw, etc.). The batteries are fairly substantial and are rated at 96 watt-hrs at 40v. I also have a spare charger that is screaming to be re-purposed. Would it be possible to install a voltage regulator to step-down the voltage from 40v to 12v? Is this even a good idea? What is the highest voltage that the factory wiring & motors will handle? How many amps can I expect the motors to draw at 12v?

My thinking is that I may as well use the batteries and charging systems that I already have rather than paying more money for an antiquated battery technology (i.e. lead acid) which I suspect would not handle the discharge cycles as well as Li-ion. Also these battery packs will charge in 1 hour so with 2 packs the kid could almost go nonstop.

I have to say, I had no idea that there was such a hobby as modifying power wheels but from what little I have read in this forum, it looks like alot of fun!
By Bigmac41288b
Welcome to the forum!
First off 40v will smoke stock motors. The 40v battery you currently have is only 2.4Ah at 40v if you reduced to 12v not counting the losses in a dc power regulator it's still only around 8Ah which is less than a stock battery. Trying to reduce the 40v to 12v with a regulator will cost just as much as a scooter controller and new motors if not more at the amperage rating you would need, stock they are fused at 30amps and have been known to blow a fuse under heavy load or on hills.

In other words is it possible, yes.
Is it easy/cheap, no.
Are there better/cheaper options, yes.

It all depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. I've been tempted by the same thing, I have the 56v Ego brand lawn equipment from Home Depot and my crazy mind keeps wandering.

Whatever you decide to do keep us updated! I always enjoy seeing other people like myself stretch the limits of what these little cars can do.
By Rob222
Generally 12v Perego's will take straight 18v like they were made for it. At 24v you really need an esc to save the gearboxes. Perego's have good gearboxes but the wiring and switches are junk. At 18v I use a 30a breaker and at 24V a 40a breaker.
By SpeedyTots
I see what you mean.... voltage regulators rated for 30A start out at about $60 for the cheapest chinese units on ebay. I could get a pair of new batteries for that price..... but you have to admit it would be the bomb diggity to pop the battery out of your weedeater then pop it into your kids ride.
Razor quad

Question about a razor quad I'm sure someone has s[…]

Please let me know if K1w1ed doesn’t pick this up.[…]

7R transplant into a 7 Gearbox

Not totally clear on your question. You can direct[…]

Need some guidance 6v f150

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course