HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
for 12v vehicles that NEED to be upgraded to 18v
By Bmxsteve
Hi! I am new to your board and wish I had found it before I got started on my project...however, I have a mustang powerwheels I wanted to upgrade from 12v to 18v. I purchased a 18 volt 7 Ah battery from monster scooter parts thinking it would work. Do you see any issues with using this battery?

Also-I am unable to get the battery to charge with the charger that the company recommended I use. I didn't realize the charger had to be plugged into the "monster scooter" and then the connected battery would charge. So, I just spliced the charger and battery wires and connected them thinking that would work....but when i connected the charger to the battery, the green indicator on the charger went out.

See attached images of the battery and charger. Any ideas on how I can charge this battery?

Sorry for the newbie questions...I would really appreciate your help!
Steven
Attachments
IMG_0307.JPG
IMG_0308.JPG
IMG_0309.JPG
By wired
Check the battery leads and make sure they have the polarity right (red should be positive and black should be negative). You might as well check the charger also. Does the charger light only come on green when the battery is fully charged? Have you tested the voltage with the battery disconnected AND connected to the charger to see if the charger is working (check both battery and charger)? Some chargers will not show output when not connected to a battery.
We just bought the same battery and charger and are in the same boat. I also just posted a very similar question the only difference being our PW had already been modified from 12V to use 18v drill style batteries and now we want to modify those modifications( LOL) to use this SLA battery and figure out how to charge it. Since this post is a few months old I'd love to know if you've figured out your charger issue yet.

In that case then I can retire the long wire conne[…]

well the wires got hot at the switches to the moto[…]

Increasing voltage question

The motor's "nominal voltage rating" is […]

Thanks for the update!

HobbyMasters Udemy Course