HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
for 12v vehicles that NEED to be upgraded to 18v
By Belo
Battery in my son's jeep hurricane wont hold a charge and needs replacing. Over the last few hours i've been browsing youtube and the web on the upgrades... because if you're going to replace, why not replace with better?

I'm pretty gifted electrically but don't have the time to mess around too much with my own system and would like an easy to charge setup. I see some expensive 12 +6 kits out there that come with chargers and I also see you could just buy an 18v single battery for $40 off amazon, create your harness and be good. But most people here are doing either 2 or 3 batteries...

what am i missing?
By grandpakenny
I am not seeing the ah rating you will need. I would guess you want 10ah or better.

I am running 12v, stock batteries are 9.5ah. I replace with 15ah. I have 24v motors/gears in one, run time with two 15ah batteries is about 30 minutes. The other one I wired two 12v parallel, to stay 12v but extend the run time. Stock run time says three hours, but one to two is more accurate.

I have good 6amp Odyssey chargers, for three to four hour recharge time.
By Rob222
There are not a lot of (or any ?) 18v Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) batteries in the 12-15ah range.
The most common replacement battery for a kids ride-on toy is the 12v 12ah SLA battery (easy to mount, not too heavy, easy to charge, cheap, safe...). Then to upgrade to 18v you just add a 6V battery rated at the same ah as the 12v battery. Most people have a smart charger that will do 6v or 12v so charging is easy.

Some folks will do an 18v upgrade with three 6v batteries if the smaller batteries makes mounting them in the ride easier (or if you already have a 6 volt only charger). The Amazon 18v batteries are NiCads meant for hand tools.

I would not charge these small (12v 12ah -15ah) batteries at anything more than 1.5 to 2amps with a good smart charger.
By grandpakenny
I have been using my Odyssey motorcycle battery charger for a couple of years, with the 9.5, 12, 15ah batteries. No issues. They are good chargers. With my bike, just let it hooked up all winter, no problem. No over heating, etc. With the Mighty Max, often let it on over the weekend.

What negative results would you expect?
By Belo
oh lord, i just went to look at the battery and it's 12volt 18 ah lol. My brain was getting fuzzy i guess.
I have 2 battery tenders but they're both 12v. To add a 6v i guess i'd need another charger and also disconnect them for charging?
By Belo
good buy "Powersonic PS-12120F2 - 12 Volt/12 Amp Hour Sealed Lead Acid Battery with F2 Terminals"? Install inline fuse and monkey with 6v later?
By grandpakenny
This is what I am running, $36, free shipping. 12V 15AH F2 SLA Battery for Goal Zero Escape 150 Power Pack - Mighty Max Battery brand product

Yours looks good too.
By Rob222
I have a bunch (>20) of the MightyMax 12v 12ah SLA batteries (in bulk I've gotten them as low as $21/battery).
Initially, a couple of years ago, the quality was good but on more recent orders the quality is spotty.
The top covers are loose on some and I returned a couple because they leaked when shipped. Customer service
for returns is ok.

For lead-acid batteries, it is generally recommended that you not charge at more than 20 - 25% of the ah rating, so for a 12 ah battery that would be about 3 amps. As a rule of thumb most manufacturers of SLA batteries recommend a max of C/3. It is not so much that higher rates are not possible but if you overcharge at higher currents the battery will out gas and the life of the battery will be reduced.
By grandpakenny
I have read similar recommendations. My chargers are $115, not your typical "smart charger". It was only after I had been using it a year or so I read that recommendation. My chargers will not overcharge. Of course, anything is possible. I have had my original one seven years, no issues. Discussed with others, for a one battery charger, this is top of the line. For Odyssey batteries, battery tender chargers will not cut it. They do not get a full charge.

I have had four of the MM, no issues. But I will take note. Thanks.
By Belo
thanks all for the advice. i will pick up one of the recommended 12v batteries for now, the kids seem content with it, then possibly upgrade with another 6v in the future.

This should help. The relay now looks like it's r[…]

I believe I have the same power wheels role play m[…]

HELLO!

Welcome. That's exactly why this site exists. Spen[…]

Increasing voltage question

I have power wheels f250 12 volt, I am an HVAC tec[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course