HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
for 12v vehicles that NEED to be upgraded to 18v
By toycrusher
Lithium batteries are awesome, but many (myself included) feel that their dangers outweigh their advantages when it comes to being used around children. This site does NOT condone the use of Lithium batteries (or non-sealed lead acid) in BPROs.
By mtxjohn
Lithium is everywhere, from cellphones to power tools to electric cars and laptops. Its likely your child has probably handled a lithium powered device today. Using SLA's is just ..ridiculous when theres such a better option. Is this not an enthusiast/modder site? Ive used lipo around my kids for years in RC cars...just follow simple rules and you wont have a problem. How much would a 16 AH sla weigh? 30 pounds lol? Power to weight ratio is everything in electrics. With my battery, I have a little warning buzzer that attaches to the balance plug to warn of low voltage
By toycrusher
It's a free world. If your confident in proper usage and handling, and your confident in your children's ability to heed applicable warnings, then by all means run with it.

But the average kid doesn't heed warnings, they run 'em till the battery won't go anymore, and then they get upset that the ride stopped. There's a huge difference between a 2 AH cordless drill battery and a 16AH hobby battery like you linked to. You can take any risks you wish with your own kids, but as a community, we WILL NOT endorse the use of Lithium batteries (or wet acid batteries) around kids.
By Harley
mtxjohn wrote:I bought the best battery available ( I feel). 16 AH, 4 s lipo (16.8 v max) 2.5 lbs. $99. Can crank out 160 amps for 6 minutes lol http://www.ebay.com/itm/MULTISTAR-16000 ... SwFfhXjdhN

You can also buy them on https://hobbyking.com/en_us/multistar-high-capacity-4s-16000mah-multi-rotor-lipo-pack.html, bought one there myself, can really give a kick to a PegPerego John Deere.
By mtxjohn
Wow Hobbyking price is great! Second....yes the alarm is a must have. Otherwise...danger for sure.
By Hackish
I think the key is to run brushless with an ESC that supports low voltage power reduction and then shutoff.

This evening I let my kid drive to the park (about 1/2 mile) on a 12V 12AH SLA. There was a second one in for the trip home and sure enough it died about 1/3 of the way home. The trouble with LIPO is there is far less warning. You'd literally want a power meter on the dash that recorded how much energy has been spent.

In that case then I can retire the long wire conne[…]

well the wires got hot at the switches to the moto[…]

Increasing voltage question

The motor's "nominal voltage rating" is […]

Thanks for the update!

HobbyMasters Udemy Course