HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
for 12v vehicles that NEED to be upgraded to 18v
By Biggjimm
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum & have a question regarding upgrading to 18v on my granddaughters little tikes hummer.
I've been fixing this up for a couple years now & have added headlights & taillights & pink led's underneath the truck & under the dash & a few other little things.
She's getting bigger & has a "need for speed" so I've been looking into bumping it up to 18v.
My question is this, if I add a 6v battery in series with the 12v to get 18v to the motors, can you still pull 12v from the 12v battery for lights & stereos while it's in series w/ the 6v or no???
Thanks for your time.
Jim.

By Biggjimm
OK, thank you.
Main thing I would be running would be the LED's & they don't draw much anyways but I do have another small 12v that I could use to run them with if I had to.
And It would not be all the time.
What I was thinking about doing is hooking up a "boost" switch where it would run off of 12v like it does now but when in "boost" mode it would then kick over to 18v.
I've got it drawn up with all the relays & other components I'll need to isolate the two systems from one another. I would just need to keep the 12v hooked up to the led's & to keep the relays energized but it looks to be do-able.
Maybe even put the "boost" on a momentary on switch & a timer so it just went for like 5 or 6 seconds when it's pushed but she'd probably be hitting it again as soon as the timer shut it down anyways. I sure would if it were me as a 6 yr old kid on something like that. If I were being honest, I would as a 47 yr old kid.
And man, if we would have had stuff like that when I was a kid. I'd have needed a cell phone too so I could call the old man to come get me when I ran it down trying to drive across town to my buddies house with it. Lol.
Thanks again for your help. Now I can get to tinkering with this thing & figure something out.
Thanks. Jim.
By Biggjimm
Yes! Thank you very much!
That is exactly what I've been sitting out in the shop trying to draw up for about 5 days now. This will be a whole lot simpler (and with even more features) than my set up. And it's not crazy expensive, either.
Thanks again.
Jim.
By Biggjimm
Would it be better to run a 12v & a 6v or 3 6v batteries? Or does it really matter?

And what about the AH rating? Let's say I'm running a 12v 12 AH & a 6v 12 AH setup and I change it to 3 6v batteries. Would the two 6v batteries that I'm using for the 12v side need to be 12 AH each or 6 AH each for a total of 12 AH?
I'm not sure what the differences are in the AH figure when changing from a series to a parallel set up.

I've got a good 6v charger that will charge all 3 batteries at the same time & that would be the main reason for me to run 3 6v batteries.
I probably made that as clear as mud, lol.
Thanks.
Jim.

My kids birthday is coming up and I want to get hi[…]

Dynacraft Princess Carraige 24v

This is by far the most helpful 24V install I've s[…]

I saw that they sell 24 volt motors on Amazon they[…]

So I saw on Amazon that they sell 24v gears it say[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course