HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
for 12v vehicles that NEED to be upgraded to 18v
By Biggjimm
I was looking for a way to be able to remotely shut down my granddaughters ride on hummer.
I got a unit from Amazon that consists of a handheld long-range transmitter & a receiver that operates the coil of a relay. The unit works great with at least 800 feet of range (that's as far as Iv'e tested it) as long as she is sitting still. As soon as she hits the throttle the receiver stops responding until she gets to within about 20 feet of me & the remote.
Apparently there is some interference from something while the motors are running. I don't know if it's the motors themselves or a relay or something else causing it but something is causing it to not work correctly.
I added an aerial antenna trying to get some more range. Which it did increase the range when the motors are shut off but still nothing while it's under power.
I just added to the units antenna wire and hooked it to the aerial antenna. Maybe a shielded antenna cable would help??
Anyone have any ideas??
Thanks. Jim

By Biggjimm
So I do finally found an archived post that said to put capacitors on the motor leads to combat the interference of the motors.
It said to use 0.1 uF ceramic capacitors & to put one from each motor wire to the case & one in between the two wires for a total of 3 for each motor.
I did that & it helped some.
I can now shut it down from about 200-300 feet if it's in low gear. While it's in high gear I can only operate it from about 50 feet.
So it's better but still not where I need it to be. I'm going to swap out the antenna wire for a shielded cable. I don't think that's going to do it but it's easy enough to do.
I may see if I've got an old remote start/ keyless entry unit off of one of my vehicles laying around that I can try to make work.
I'm all ears if anyone has any other suggestions.
Thanks. Jim.
By Biggjimm
I swapped the antenna cable for a shielded type cable but that did not seem to make any difference.
The caps definitely made a difference but it still won't work when it's in high gear. In low I can get quite a bit more range than before I put the caps on the motors but apparently there is still too much "noise" in high gear at 18v.
I don't know much about caps other than how they can quiet the signal down. I understand that part. What I don't know is if a larger cap would help more or not???
The post recommended 0.1uF caps, 3 per motor. Would a bigger cap or a different uF rating make it filter out more noise & in turn increase the range or no???

What about a system that operated on a different frequency? I think the remote system I have is like 433mhz. But I've seen some that were like 27mhz & one that was 200 & something mhz
But I too know next to nothing about RF stuff.
We have a local hobby/RC shop in town, maybe those guys know something I could try.

I looked at the circuit board. It doesn't appear t[…]

Relays don't pull a lot of current (50-150mA depen[…]

newbie with wheels

pictures

"Best Choice" Jeep?

Pedal switch stuck in closed position or shorted m[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course