KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
If you have a question about a specific model or modification, you might find the answer here.
By Erobe05
So I have a 12v peg perego john deere gator XUV that I'm trying to install a remote kill switch to. I read the sticky FAQ on remote kill switches and purchased the 6a receiver and 40a relay as suggested from All Electronics and wired up as recommended. And, it works, well, sort of...

It works just fine for a bit, but then as he's driving, it will suddenly brake without me pushing the off button on the remote. Then, I push the on button and he goes on his merry way, just to have it happen again. Also, the battery drained much faster than normal.

So I go back to the original sticky and read as a caveat that the diagram should really show a diode between the receiver and relay between the positive and negative wires?! That when the relay is tripped it can send a huge power surge which can be short circuited with the diode. However, when I read through a number of threads on remote kill switches, I don't see ANYBODY talking about installing a diode at all?!

So what gives?? It seems like what he's bringing up is happening in my instance, so I'm inclined to try it, although I have no idea what kind of diode I need or which direction it should be wired up in...

I really need this to work as this gator is my sons life! Yet we really need this remote kill switch for safety!!

Please help!
By wired
Sounds like the battery voltage is dropping causing the relay to open/reset. Do you have another 12v battery you could use to power the remote/relay circuit separate from the vehicle battery? I don't see where adding a diode in the circuit would solve the problem you described.
By Erobe05
I don't. I followed the instructions to the t, what gives? Any other suggestions? Does it sound like its hooked up correctly? I feel like it is, because it does work, it just trips sporadically.
By toycrusher
Erobe05 wrote:I don't. I followed the instructions to the t, what gives? Any other suggestions? Does it sound like its hooked up correctly? I feel like it is, because it does work, it just trips sporadically.

As wired mentioned, it could be the battery voltage dropping too low. Your battery may be weak, or you may have inclines or grass that put a strain on the battery. A small 12v aux battery to power the relay would bypass that problem
By Rob222
Yes, as Wired and Toycrusher mentioned, it could be the battery voltage dropping too low.
Why don't you just charge the battery and try again ? Charge the battery after every ride (no matter how short) with a good quality smart charger and the battery will last a long time.
By CJB
I agree with the battery suggestion.

Other thoughts include bad kill switch or interference confusing the kill switch (cell phone, walkie talkie, other key fobs, etc)

If you really wanted to try the diode thing, get a 1N4007 diode and wire the stripe side to your + relay coil terminal (hopefully 86) and the other to the ground relay coil terminal (85). When relays open and close there is a kickback that can occur sending a voltage spike through your system. This diode redirects that spike to where it belongs.
By Erobe05
Would a 1N4001 diode work? We have those readily available at work, which is why I ask. Its blocking voltage is 50V vs 1kV for the 1N4007 diode.

I think I'll fully charge the battery, and install the diode, since that's a simple mod, and see how it works. If I still have issues after that, I'll consider an auxillary battery.

For the auxillary battery, what capacity (ie amp hours) would be recommended? And what does that wiring diagram look like? Same as current one, except the remote is now powered by the auxillary battery instead of the main battery?

BTW- The current battery is the stock battery, which is only a few months old, so I'd be surprised if that's the issue.
By wired
Any of those diodes should work for your application. I would use the 1N4004 of the three you have available.
By Rob222
A battery, even if new, can be permanently damaged if not properly charged between uses or run down too low. What is the voltage of your battery after a full charge? Should be around 12.8 - 13.0 volts. I don't foresee the diode fixing your issue.
By Erobe05
Appears to be working now!!! Thanks everyone for the help, I truly appreciate it.

So I realized, after rereading the stickie, you need to turn it off when not using it because the relay drains the battery slowly. So im considering adding the lighted manual override switch, but I'm not sure how the third wire is routed. Can anyone help?

Here's what was posted:
"And instead of having the trigger wire from the automotive relay going directly to the remote, have it go to the NO (normally open) contact on the lighted switch. "

What's the trigger wire??
By CJB
Can you direct us to the thread you're using as a reference? Also a link to the remote switch you're using would be helpful.

As far as preventing battery drain, I personally always install a 'master power' or 'keyed ignition' switch on any vehicle I mod. This is comprised of a relay and a switch (toggle, keyed, rotaty, etc.) It's basically a battery disconnect. The relay, triggered by the switch of your choosing, connects and disconnects the battery from the rest of the system preventing any idle current draw from anything you may have installed.
By Erobe05
Nevermind with the "manual override switch", I don't plan on hooking it up with that.

I now have a new question. I'd like to install a remote kill switch on a different vehicle, a 6v roleplay Silverado. It's wiring is different than what's shown on the stickies. It looks like this:
Screenshot_20160921-183403.png

Can someone explain, or better yet draw up a wiring schematic, on how to hook up a remote kill switch on this vehicle?? It would be much appreciated!

SigEp, I have not heard from you if one Earnhardt[…]

Thanks for the reply. Doesn't sound good. It loo[…]

Hey there, Nothing wrong with asking before you br[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course