KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Reviews of powerwheels for Girls! I originally started this site for my daughter and want to make sure we have an area that is dedicated to power wheels for girls. Power wheels modifications for girls or just reviews are all welcome. Dad can post reviews, but it has to be about/for a girly subject.
By J0SH44
I am picking up a Barbie Cruisin Tunes 4x4 Jeep this Saturday. It apparently runs but needs a new battery. Getting it free from a friend so if there is more than just an issue with the battery, no big deal. Since I need to get a new battery, I was thinking about just going right to 18v but I had some questions first. It sounds like three 6v batteries would be the best way to go because of easy charging. Is that true? If i do use three 6v batteries in series will I need to rewire the entire vehicle to withstand the increased voltage? Is there anything else that I should be thinking about. The car will be my first PW so I am trying to to screw things up too terribly right off the bat. I just received shipment of a Schumacher SC-600A SpeedCharge High Frequency Battery Charger that i plan to use to charge whatever batteries I buy. Speaking of buying batteries, is there one place that is better than another? I saw a post on batteries with some sellers but wasn't sure if one place was heads above another. What ah should I probably get as well. I don't want the thing to need be recharged after 10 minutes of use but I don't think several hours would be necessary either, I am looking for a nice balance.

Sorry for all the questions, I am just trying not to mess stuff up too bad.
By SigEp
Gruber seems to be about the best as far as quality of battery and customer service. As far as what AH to buy, it's really up to you. The higher the AH, the longer the run time. I'd shoot for 6v12ah if you're doing 3 6v batteries.
By J0SH44
I just found out that I live less than a 1/2 hour from a battery manufacturer--Crown Batteries http://www.crownbattery.com/. Looks like I can drive there and pick up 6v 12ah for 19 plus tax and a 12v 12ah for 38 plus tax. The batteries are a little more expensive than what Gruber shows on their website and ebay store but I make up the difference in shipping, plus buying local is a great option. So now that I have a nearby source for batteries I need to figure out what other supplies/work that I should do to upgrade the vehicle to 18v. Do I need to upgrade the wiring to handle the extra load? Any other recomendations or is it ok to just push the 18v? I would also like to do whatever is necessary to reduce the chances of burning up motors and stripping gears if possible.
By johnny1333
18v is about the max u can put into that jeep without it welding the pedal shut (wide open throttle). stock motors and gearboxs will be ok. just make sure the children don't shift gears to early, while the vehicle is still in motion.
By J0SH44
Thanks for the info Johnny,

Sorry for all the newbie questions. I plan on buying the three 6v batteries today. If i have these batteries arranged in series to make 18v, do i only place one fuse on the positive side going to the car? It seems like that would be the case and that i wouldn't need a fuse off of every battery since they are in series but i thought it would be best to verify.

My other questions is about shifting gears too early. Are you saying she should only flip the switch on the vehicle (from low to high and from high to low) when it is stopped and not while it is moving? Is that true for all of these ride ons?

Thanks for all the info.
By J0SH44
I did pick up my batteries today. I purchased three 6v 12ah batteries. As of 1/2 hr ago, I have them wired in series to deliver 18v. It looks like this thing is really going to move. I was not able to test it as my test subject had gone to bed several hours earlier. I will give it a good test run in the morning i am sure.

I currently only have the one 30amp fuse on the positive side of the connection leading to the car, the rest of the connections are 'fuseless.' I think that should be good but I would still like it if someone is able to confirm.

I am also still wondering about my other question--shifting gears too early. If anyone is able to give me some knowledge in that area i would really appreciate it as well.

When I do run this vehicle in 'low' gear, how exactly is that working since I am using three 6v batteries. Does it actually just draw half of the power (3volts) from all three batteries or is there some other combination going on there? Just wondering if the 'low' gear would wear the batteries down unevenly.

Thanks again everyone for the information, i really appreciate it. I am open for any unsolicited info as well, so if you have any info that I could benefit from (maybe something like 'hey you are really doing this wrong, you are going to screw something up; you should be doing it this way....') I am all ears.
By johnny1333
By shifting too early i mean from the forward gears into the reverse. going from high to low or vice versa shouldn't affect anything.

As far as the fuses go, some people prefer a fuse between each battery and going to the vehicle, as some people only prefer 1 fuse going to the vehicle.

In low gear, both motors share 18V, meaning each motor gets 9V's. In high, They both get 18V. Low gear shouldn't wear them down unevenly too much. Especially since they are brand new and they are the same AH.
By J0SH44
My 4 year old loves it, it is a bit much for my 2 yr old--even in 'low' gear, so she is a happy passenger. Everything seems to work great, my only issue is keeping the batteries connected. There is so much room in the front of that Jeep that the batteries just bounce around and eventually disconnect. Does anyone have any points as to how they keep batteries in place in a compartment like that? I bought some industrial strength Velcro so I think I may try that. Just not sure if that will be strong enough or not.

So far my only other concern is that the front wheels appear to bow a little. The tops of them are point in--toward each other--while driving. I am afraid that a few big bumps and they may break. Is there anything that I can do to prevent them from breaking or at least reinforce them a little? I would hate to have them break.
By M1m3R
velcro straps seem to work pretty well...as long as you can keep them from bouncing. have also used some foam computer packing material (not styro); cut to fit the space around the battery.

have also used "custom bent" coat hangers (thanks to taz11 for the idea viewtopic.php?f=44&t=3590 ) to make a battery holder.
By J0SH44
I suppose if i use Velcro i could use foam them to fill in the empty space and that should really take care of it then. I was just afraid that some sort of foam may have heat issues or something; I wouldn't want it melting, starting a fire, or anything like that. Is there a certain type of foam that should be used over another?
By M1m3R
the foam I use is used to pack computers. lots of it available at work. it's black, closed cell packing foam. i generally only use it to wedge batterys in, then use velcro to hold it all down.
By J0SH44
So i just installed the Velcro. I haven't had a chance to have my kid drive it around much after that but I am hopefully it will help. I am beyond frustrated with the bettery connections. Is there a trick to keeping wires connected to the battery terminals? My batteries have the smaller terminal spades on them and I cannot stay connected to them. It seems like every five minutes the car stops because a wire disconnects from a terminal. There has to be a better way to stay connected than just this slide-on terminal. It is very frustrating, I would love to hear some tips from some of the more experienced PWs out there--or even not so experienced PWs that have some good tips.
By M1m3R
i try to keep the wiring from flopping around by running them under the velcro. one can tighten up the connector with a quick squeeze of the pliers... -> ] <- this way, not -> _ <- this way.
By J0SH44
It appears the Velcro is working. I ended up using two 4" by 2" strips of Industrial Strength Velcro (actual name). The battery compartment of the Jeep fits three 6v 12ah batteries nicely. One fits perfectly in the recessed bottom and does not need Velcro as it cannot move. The other two basically sit on top of that battery--each Velcroed to a side of the battery compartment (one to the front-end side and one to the rear-end side). These things do not move, even over the bumps in our yard. It is actually a little difficult to remove them from the compartment now. So thanks for the tips. As far as the connectors go, they are still not really tight, but now that the batteries do not move they don't seem to be coming off. Not sure what I will try to do next with this Jeep. Lots of good ideas on this forum.
First gen Bigfoot project

It should work (they use this from the factory on […]

You should use a 6V 12AH battery (not 6ah). The c[…]

I need a hood. New tires if possible and I believe[…]

On first impressions you may be fine to use a Sabe[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course