KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Swapping wheels? Adding suspension? Adding traction mods? This is the place for anything between the body and the ground!
By wrencher
ok so I got this hurricane for free...the po said the gear boxes and motors were shot..but free hey free always works...the pics showed a hard life...lets just say it needs work....so started with the tires that had holes all the way around on some..{{{{.....this could or will damage gear boxes...as they seem to be a weak spot on theses....}}}} I went to my local tire shop and ask if they had any old tractor tires...they gave me three tires for free two match..so this was easy...it will add some real weight to the car....first you need to find the right size...{16 x 6.5 x 8 is what I used}...then just cut 5 notches in the tire on the bead 2 on for the front side and 3 for the back {I used a 4in grinder with a metal cut wheel to put some slits in the bead then trimed them off with snipes} doing it the way I need if I need to I could put an inner tube in the wheel... or trim the wheels..{you would need to trim the tabs in the pics by the edge of the rim}} .you could screw the tire to the rim to just to make sure that it does not move {if you trim the wheel you should do this but you could not use an inner tube then...}..I have not truly tested it yet to see how good in works but should make a big difference.....heres some pics to help see what I am talking about...
IMG_0111.JPG
IMG_0113.JPG
IMG_0114.JPG
IMG_0115.JPG
IMG_0116.JPG
IMG_0117.JPG
IMG_0122.JPG
IMG_0125.JPG
IMG_0126.JPG
Last edited by wrencher on Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
By SAHDman
Is there a huge weight difference between the rubber and plastic tires? I would imagine the rubber is pretty heavy and might strain your GB's. If not, this is an awesome fix. Those hurricane tires are not cheap!
By wrencher
SAHDman wrote:Is there a huge weight difference between the rubber and plastic tires? I would imagine the rubber is pretty heavy and might strain your GB's. If not, this is an awesome fix. Those hurricane tires are not cheap!

I just weighted the rubber tire and wheel...it is like 8 to 10 pounds...the stock wheel and tire is like 5 to 8 pounds...that's a worn down tire....as that's all I have to compare with..plus my home scale is old so not real sure how true it is..but it looks like only a 3 to 5 pound difference....that's per wheel
Last edited by wrencher on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By gratefuldad
You gonna spring for the ESC before the 1st set GBs frag, or after you've bought the 2nd? :D
This is exactly how I got sucked into this Crazy PW world we live in now :lol:
By Tifosi
I like this find! I am looking for some locally but the new ones are not cheap and finding 4 used ones is a little tough.

I am thinking of finding an inner tube for them and inflate them a bit more. Any thoughts from those that run these tires?
By wrencher
ok tested the tires out on the front..boy do they make a huge change in how ruff it rides on pavement..the bad part is it has made it harder to turn....just running the tire only[no tubes or screws]there is some give to the tire when it is turned...and it does tend to come away from the bead aea little..not enough to really effect the way it works..but I think I may try to use a tube in it..just to help it hold its shape...
Last edited by wrencher on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Dexter
To keep the tire from coming off on low air pressure you mite want to make a mini beadlock for the rims to not allow it to do so and i think that would resolve your issue.
By wrencher
Dexter wrote:To keep the tire from coming off on low air pressure you mite want to make a mini beadlock for the rims to not allow it to do so and i think that would resolve your issue.

hey thanks the bead lock idea never entered my mind...I am trying to do it the easiest way I can..the tube will be next..then I will try screws to the rim..just tring to find easy and cheap...
By Tifosi
I just ordered 4 of the ribbed/smooth tires for my kids Hurricane. As soon as they get here I will be giving an update. I plan on setting them up with inner tubes and remove the notches on the rims to fit the tire better.

The smooth/ribbed tires were 1.2lbs lighter per tire and 1 tenth of an inch taller. I figured that every little bit will help with speed and reduce potential wear.
By wrencher
Tifosi wrote:I just ordered 4 of the ribbed/smooth tires for my kids Hurricane. As soon as they get here I will be giving an update. I plan on setting them up with inner tubes and remove the notches on the rims to fit the tire better.

The smooth/ribbed tires were 1.2lbs lighter per tire and 1 tenth of an inch taller. I figured that every little bit will help with speed and reduce potential wear.

can you post a pic of the tire you ordered..and from where..please keep the info coming on your test..thanks
By Tifosi
Okay, I started the installation tonight after getting a set of tubes for these tires. It was going reasonably well and I thought I had the two front wheels done, when, Blam! The screws that hold the rim together blew out. I will need to look into through bolting the rime together. The location of the "lug nuts" on the rim will penetrate the back of the rim where it meets the front knuckle. There is not enough room to add a spacer to the axle so it looks like the wheels will have some extra lug nuts unless I can find some really flat head bolts to run through the wheels.

I will check tomorrow to see what I can find. It looks like it needs to be about a 3.5" bolt.

Other than that hiccup the tires look and fit nicely on the rims.
By wrencher
Tifosi wrote:Okay, I started the installation tonight after getting a set of tubes for these tires. It was going reasonably well and I thought I had the two front wheels done, when, Blam! The screws that hold the rim together blew out. I will need to look into through bolting the rime together. The location of the "lug nuts" on the rim will penetrate the back of the rim where it meets the front knuckle. There is not enough room to add a spacer to the axle so it looks like the wheels will have some extra lug nuts unless I can find some really flat head bolts to run through the wheels.

I will check tomorrow to see what I can find. It looks like it needs to be about a 3.5" bolt.

Other than that hiccup the tires look and fit nicely on the rims.

I think that you could use the stock lug nut loc...if you come from the back side out...do not use a bolt but long screw with nut...yes it would be a small size but I think it would work...plus also use a longer screw in place of the stock screws in the rim...the combo of both looks like it should work to hold the rim together...
By weasle8484
This is perfect, and exactly the idea i had before joining the forum tonight. I decided to practice the forum gospel and search for my thread before creating one! so glad i did!!!! now i know not to explode my plastic rim with a aired up inner tube... Ill be on the look out for these old lawn tractor tires.

I do plan on using a hot chisel to notch out every other lug to create a knobby tire, in addition to your three notch inner locking cuts you made. I will also post my results at i get them! Thanks again
By Tanto
I just installed two 16x6.5x8 tires on the rear wheels of mine. Similar process to what you've done. Our Hurricane is not operating right now, waiting on a gear box so we can't test them out. I intend to fill the tires with foam, just concerned about long term performance so still researching what type I should fill them with.
By Tanto
I had a chance to run the old tractor tires on the rear. They work okay and seem to be firm enough that I don't think they need to be filled with anything. Now there is so much traction on the rear the Jeep doesn't steer as well because the front plastic tires slip around too much. Can use some on the front now.

Hi All, Grandpa just got our 2 year old a Power W[…]

Shooting a TV commercial and need two mod power wh[…]

Jeep Hurricane Radio

I looked in the battery compartment and didn't see[…]

This is my gooseneck trailer I made for my son. He[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course