KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Swapping wheels? Adding suspension? Adding traction mods? This is the place for anything between the body and the ground!
Hello! We are new to this site. We have 9 kiddos (yes, they are all ours, lol!). We have a special little guy (18 months)that has cerebral palsy. Because of his CP he doesn't have enough control/strength to steer, or steer and push a foot petal, but we think he could figure out how to control a joystick ~ like the ones on a wheelchair. The problem with wheelchairs are that they sit too high for him to engage with other children his age. We are wanting to build him something close to the floor like this: http://www.whatdoyoudodear.com/build-bumbo-wheelchair/ only with a power joystick.

We were thinking of using a power wheels motor/gears/tires/etc to make it instead of a wheelchair conversion kit. Conversion kits are costly at about $900, like here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/171197272917?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649. My brother-in-law is an engineer so he is going to help us, but he doesn't know a lot about all the different power wheels. You guys have so much knowledge that I thought you could be of great help. If this works we would like to later convert a power wheels for him to use outdoors, but right now are focusing on the bumbo wheelchair/power wheel joystick.

Is it possible to convert a power wheels controlled completely by one single joystick? It doesn't need to go fast, just have power to move over small bumps,etc. If so, which power wheels could we hack to do this?

Thanks for taking time to read and any info you all can provide. This can make a big difference for our little guy. Getting him mobile will give him freedom and positively affect his cognitive skills!
Last edited by thepurkclan on Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hi,
Here is a link to detailed instructions on how to add joystick steering to a Kid Motorz brand fire truck:

https://sites.google.com/site/joystickc ... abygocars/

The final truck has a zero turn radius, adjustable speed and acceleration, and adjustable positioning for the joystick holder. It takes about 8-10 hours to modify and costs a total of around $400. You need access to a 3D printer and some technical skills, so it might be a great project to complete at a local Maker Space or for a high school robotics team to carry out. The project was designed by a couple of high school students who are happy to be contacted if you have questions or suggestions: gobabygocarswithjoysticks@gmail.com

Hope that is helpful.
Razor Crazy Cart 1000W

There's different versions of the Crazy Cart so ch[…]

Duner Racer Wheel Question.

Thanks! I thought that may be how it worked and th[…]

modifing cheap kids trike?

I have learned to use the knowledge to spread it.

Corevette Motor

I like this issue a lot. It's really appropriate.

HobbyMasters Udemy Course