KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Swapping wheels? Adding suspension? Adding traction mods? This is the place for anything between the body and the ground!
By racer0018
Alright I don't post much but I found something that works great and it's cheap to do. What I did is upgraded my daughter's powerwheels with bigger motors and found that the tires would spin all the time. I found what works for me and it's cheap is the tip.

Items needed:
Sand paper 60
Masking tape
Masking paper
Flex seal Spray or flex seal liquid

First thing to do is take off the tires and remove the hubcaps from the tire. It is best to scuff the tires with sand paper if they are brand new. Get a large tub or bowl big enough to fit the tires in if you are using the flex seal liquid. Fill the bowl up and coat the tire in it. Wait for it to dry and apply a second coat if you want.

If you are using the flex seal spray you will have to tape off the wheels and hub caps from over spray using the masking tape and masking paper. Wait for it to dry and apply a second coat if you want.

I have found this works great for me on each time that I have done it. I used the flex seal liquid to do it but I told a friend about it and he used the spray and he said that works good as well. So far I did my little ones Jeep and it has been going strong now for 2 months and it is still holding up great. It is cheaper than a rubber set of tires for it and you don't have to remove the tires if you don't want to. Plus a can of the spray is 10-15 dollars depending on where you go. I only use the liquid but it's up to you.

Here is a picture of the Jeep I working on now and I used the spray on this one. Thanks all and let me know how this works for you.
Attachments
20170605_190858-1328x747.jpg
Before spray.jpg
After spray.jpg
By racer0018
Suburbancharlie77 wrote:Most excellent, will have to give it a try! Thanks for the write up.

It works great and it is cheap to do it. The liquid works a lot better than the spray. Also don't, I repeat DONT buy the cheap knockoff brands. You want to make sure it's the rubber based flex seal brand and no some knock off brand. This coats the tires with a rubber base and allows them to act just like a rubber tire.

Here is a side tip for everyone, I have done a couple different things when it comes to tires that are broke and starting to fall apart. I have used gorilla tape and some gorilla glue to fix tires before. I would sand the tire down into it was smooth and then use the tape and the glue to put them back together. Then allow 24 hours to dry and then redo it all again. After the second time was dry I would coat the tire in the flex seal and it would hold out for a while. Longest being 4 months so not bad being it was a 6 dollar fix.

Now for the one that worked the best that I have found is that you go out and buy a fiberglass kit used for fixing fiberglass and then follow the directions and allow to dry, I would always apply 2 layers of it to the broken part of the tire and then apply the flex seal liquid to it and those tires I didn't that to are still going today. I think for the seal and the fiberglass it was a total of 25 dollars and it fixed the tires great. I wish I had one I was working on to post pictures to show everyone.
By racer0018
Suburbancharlie77 wrote:Most excellent, will have to give it a try! Thanks for the write up.

Also here is what I found from doing this for a while. One is that using the flex seal liquid is messy but works really good.

The most important thing is that if done right it will keep the tires working good and in new condition under the seal for a long time. Here is the correct product to use. You want to make sure it is rubber when it dries. Don't use knock off brand.
Attachments
Screenshot_20170607-144434-576x1024.jpg
Screenshot_20170607-144339-576x1024.jpg
By Suburbancharlie77
Sounds as though you have done some thorough experimentation!

Just curious, what happened with the cheap knock off brand, did it just never cure well, and run a lot?
By racer0018
Suburbancharlie77 wrote:Sounds as though you have done some thorough experimentation!

Just curious, what happened with the cheap knock off brand, did it just never cure well, and run a lot?

It cured just fine and stuck to the tires great but it dried with like a plastic type of surface and it didn't really help with traction all that much. However I found that it did repair the tires really well when they were cracking, so the good thing that came out of it was that it also repairs tires that are on their way. The cheap/knock off brand did do that but no extra traction. Where the name brand stuff added traction, like a rubber tire would. And then the name brand also repaired the tire when it was starting to crack. Thanks.
By racer0018
I did the Jeep that I posted pictures of and it worked okay, for me I like the liquid more and use that from now on. Thanks all.
By Suburbancharlie77
No, thank YOU! This thread has seen a lot of traffic over the past few days, hopefully someone gives you some positive feedback!
I'm tearing into a few different things at the moment, but hopefully get to the point of being worthwhile to add some traction as well as a surface wear reduction layer, before summer is over! Thanks again for the write up!
By racer0018
A buddy brought his sons power wheels I did a lot of work to, bigger motors and upgraded it to 18v and I also did the tires for him and his was worn pretty bad. I used the fiber glass treatment on them and then the flex seal liquid about 1.5 years ago and the tires are still going strong. A little dirty because of where they live but the seal is holding up great and the tires are like the day I did them. This works great and lasts a long time. I know lots of people want to add rubber tires to their projects but think about this before you do. This will give the traction that you want and the wear off a rubber tire. Plus the rubber cost starts to wear out, just add another layer on them and your good to go. Thanks all.

Hi All, Grandpa just got our 2 year old a Power W[…]

Shooting a TV commercial and need two mod power wh[…]

Jeep Hurricane Radio

I looked in the battery compartment and didn't see[…]

This is my gooseneck trailer I made for my son. He[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course