KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Swapping wheels? Adding suspension? Adding traction mods? This is the place for anything between the body and the ground!
By Jameshtx
Hi. The plastic tires are worn out and Im looking to wrap it with bicycle tires. What size do I look for? It currently has 14 x 6.5
By Hammer-fm
If you decide to do mountain bike tires, I had good success with 26" foldable (kevlar bead) tires. Start by cutting it, then put one screw in one end, wrap it around, putting in screws every 4-6" around the diameter; I put the screws in the PW's wheels' tread depressions so the screws themselves didn't touch the road. When you get to where it overlaps, you'll cut the tire again. I prefer to cut it slightly (0.5-0.75") longer and overlap such that the overlap edge "trails" when the wheel is driving forward, however you want to do this overlap at one of the depressions so that it doesn't create a large bump.

I also chose to put in a strip of 0.5" thick closed-cell foam between the bike tire and the factory plastic tire, which does give a bit of cushion and quiets it down a bit.

If you get 29" tires then you should be able to do two F150 wheels with one tire. I had a bunch of cheap Duro 26" ones and that means I had to use one bike tire for each wheel -- if you had some old kids' bike tires around that are 14" or bigger they probably will work.

I can post a picture later tonight.
By Jameshtx
Hammer-fm wrote:If you decide to do mountain bike tires, I had good success with 26" foldable (kevlar bead) tires. Start by cutting it, then put one screw in one end, wrap it around, putting in screws every 4-6" around the diameter; I put the screws in the PW's wheels' tread depressions so the screws themselves didn't touch the road. When you get to where it overlaps, you'll cut the tire again. I prefer to cut it slightly (0.5-0.75") longer and overlap such that the overlap edge "trails" when the wheel is driving forward, however you want to do this overlap at one of the depressions so that it doesn't create a large bump.

I also chose to put in a strip of 0.5" thick closed-cell foam between the bike tire and the factory plastic tire, which does give a bit of cushion and quiets it down a bit.

If you get 29" tires then you should be able to do two F150 wheels with one tire. I had a bunch of cheap Duro 26" ones and that means I had to use one bike tire for each wheel -- if you had some old kids' bike tires around that are 14" or bigger they probably will work.

I can post a picture later tonight.

Pictures would be great. I'd appreciate it
By Hammer-fm
Are the tires still fairly round? As long as they're round, putting bike tread around will extend their longevity (especially with some foam or rubber padding). Once the tread is worn through enough that the carcass goes out of round there's not much you can do.

If you can get wafer-head screws they're ideal (don't get self-tapping, and try to get the fine-thread ones if you can); otherwise pan-head screws would be pick #2. I had seen some one demo video on youtube (eg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIpR-gwxNiA) which demonstrates the technique fine, but they used standard wood screws with a countersinking head, which I would not recommend (you want a good amount of contact area to clamp the rubber to the plastic wheel; the countersinking screw does not provide this).

The pictures attached are from the tires on our F150 (video in action in the "NATV is Not an ATV" post in the pics & vids subforum) and did fairly well with a customized gearbox offroading, though it lives most of its life on pavement in our cul-de-sac, but it definitely doesn't have the traction that a real ATV tire would have.
Attachments
tire2.jpg
Example side view
tire3.jpg
With one end detached
ESC vs Drill trigger

Pirsen, how could you use a pedal, does any instru[…]

So many options for the 775. I want to leave the […]

Battery questions

Just got 2 free power wheels. 1. Jeep has origina[…]

Looks like I got into this whole modded PW thing s[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course