KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Swapping wheels? Adding suspension? Adding traction mods? This is the place for anything between the body and the ground!
By PoppaFixIt
I've done a whole bunch of mod work to our 24vGD, but everyone asks about rubber tires... so I decided to bite the bullet and do the project. Found real BKTs (just like the real Grave Digger monster truck!) in a size that fits a MPW. Here's a mock up picture. I adapted the front spindles, but the rear live axle will require some cutting and welding to make it work.

By PoppaFixIt
Jose.Galaviz809 wrote:New here, what's all done to it and how did you do it??
I've done quite a bit to it. Steering radius increase mod, soft spring suspension, doubled battery capacity, East Coast ESC w/ variable throttle and electronic brake. I had Traxxas motors on the stock gearboxes and they worked well, but I wanted to add the rubber tires, so now I'm swapping the gearboxes for a solid axle and a chain drive. I've written a few articles on what I've done to it, which you can find on my instructables page.

https://www.instructables.com/member/Po ... ructables/
By PoppaFixIt

Got some more work done to the 24vGD this afternoon. Motor mount/crossmembers are welded in. Fabbed up and welded in a caliper bracket. Cut the tie rods and started mounting the rack and pinion. It's coming along pretty well. I still have another couple of sessions to put into it, but it should be supporting it's own weight after the next one.
By BB_Mike
How do you go about limiting the front steering for turn radius?

How do you feel about the roll over factor? lifted plus nobby rubber tires makes me think it might roll over. but then the heavy frame should give it a low CG.
By PoppaFixIt
BB_Mike wrote:How do you go about limiting the front steering for turn radius?

How do you feel about the roll over factor? lifted plus nobby rubber tires makes me think it might roll over. but then the heavy frame should give it a low CG.
The rack and pinion only has 5" of travel, which is just about perfect for this. I didn't need to limit the steering, if anything, it's a bit weak on turning right and really good at turning left. Nothing rubs at full lock either way.

I am concerned about the possibility of a roll-over. I have relocated the 24v20Ah battery cell to right behind the steering setup. It was formerly up underneath the driver seat, so this should help bring the CoG down considerably. I also stretched the wheelbase 2.5" and widened it 6" which should also help. This is mostly being designed for use as a straight line mud track drag racer, so I think it will be good in those conditions.
By toycrusher
Nice work!
By PoppaFixIt
toycrusher wrote:Nice work!
Thanks! I'm pretty happy with how it's coming out so far.

Managed to get it together enough for a test run on Christmas morning. Kiddo was pretty excited about getting to drive his "real monster truck". Here's a video of it running.

[/url]

Biggest things that need work are the gear ratio (currently around 6.5:1, ordered parts to get it to 8.4:1, might do a jackshaft if that isn't tall enough to give some good low end torque), hand brake and the lighting.

The center of gravity appears to be plenty low, he was flying downhill and turning hard, it didn't look anywhere close to rolling. Thing has to weigh every bit of 200lbs and it's all down low on the chassis.

Here's a couple of underside pictures as well.

By PoppaFixIt
Fabbed up a hand brake today. Now we have means of operating the mountain bike brake rotor on the rear axle. It locks it up pretty good in bench testing, we'll see how it does next time we get it into the yard.

Relays don't pull a lot of current (50-150mA depen[…]

newbie with wheels

pictures

"Best Choice" Jeep?

Pedal switch stuck in closed position or shorted m[…]

Keep the supply voltage to the relays and accessor[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course