KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Swapping wheels? Adding suspension? Adding traction mods? This is the place for anything between the body and the ground!
By taz11
Here is a spy photo of what I tossed together after my accidental discovery......http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8191

I will use this topic to go over the process to install it on a working jeep....and work out a few unkown kinks.

Background..... I was cleaning out old body parts last week and was mumbling to myself about "wasting" all these good bodies.....but they cost too much to ship and no one will use them...etc,etc,etc.....

Well, as I stacked up all the jeep bodies in a pile I admired (again) how well they fit together when stacked and......

WOAH!!!! WAIT A MINUTE!!!!! :o :shock: :shock: :shock:

I did a quick toss together (pictured in the link above) and confirmed that it will work.

Buy cutting the front and rear sections out of a second body, and installing them under a stock jeep tub (fit like a glove!)
you can lift the front 3-5/8 inches and the rear 4 inches. :D

Small details that need to be worked out

1)bumper relocation
2)non welded (so everyone can do it) steering shaft extention
3)a brace to help eliminate the cracked firewalls that lifted jeeps are so prone to getting.

Details to follow soon...or..errr eventually
Last edited by taz11 on Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
By taz11
drew510 wrote:Of course you have to tease us with a pic from a mile away, :lol:

Sounds like a cool idea. If I didn't already have a lift on our Jeep I would be interested.

You can still use your lift....to make it 6 inches!..... Although you would then be getting dangerously close to a safety issue due to center of gravity...You would have to put the batteries in the bottom "tubs" :lol:
By taz11
Here are the two lift modules trimmed and ready to install. I rough cut them out of the body tub with a sawzall and a demolition blade. Then I cleaned up the edges on my table saw. I left about a 1/2 inch of the top surface to act as a reinforcing flange.

lift kit 004.jpg
lift kit 005.jpg

There is a small "web" inside the rear module that needs to be squared up....

lift kit 003.jpg

These, and the other webs that are not needed, can be removed easily with a wood chisel.....

lift kit 001.jpg
lift kit 002.jpg
By taz11
This shows where to make the first rough cuts......

lift kit.jpg
By taz11
The Gambler wrote:now what about the steering rod?

I have some Ideas...I have to get these installed so I can physically try my options. I need to find a balance between cost, simplicity, and durability. The fact the different dash designs over the years changed the stock length complicates things.
I'm leaning towards an adjustable collar....... Cut the shaft in half and install the collar.

Another note on the lift modules.......They are usually in good shape even on the most sun damaged bodies. The seat and hood protects them. The ones I'm using here came off a jeep that was so baked, the front fenders had fallen off! :shock:
Last edited by taz11 on Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By taz11
Here is the volunteer......or ....um...victim :lol:. Trash find Sunjammer with a busted dash.....I'll fix the dash later ;)

I tore this one down for washing.....but all that you need to remove is the front steering module, steering shaft/wheel, rear axle, and gearboxes.

lift kit 001.jpg

The first cut I made was not required for the lift installation. I'm running 18 volts in this and I wanted to keep the extra weight as low as possible. By cutting the bottom off the "sump" i can fit a 6v 12ah down inside the lift module, underneath the stock 12v. Totally optional

lift kit 003.jpg

The lift module slides down until it bottoms out on the support ribs. I used self drilling screws to secure it for now. After everything is all worked out I will replace them with #10x1/2 bolts, fender washers, and lock nuts. NOTE: before final assembly you will want to read ahead. You will have to drill and mount your steering module to the lift before final attachment to the jeep tub.

lift kit 011.jpg
Last edited by taz11 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
By taz11
The cuts on the rear module are required. They allow room for the motors and gearboxes to sit down in the new lift module. I use a large drill bit in the corners. It looks neater and resists cracks that can start in sharp corners.

lift kit 007.jpg

After the cuts are complete, the module can be installed. It slides down until the webs inside the module bottom out. Use a tape measure to make sure it is parallel with the body tub(front will sit slightly low) and install 2 bolts on each side and two on the back.

lift kit 013.jpg

This is how your gearboxes should look.

lift kit 002.jpg
Last edited by taz11 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By taz11
Continuing along.....

You will need to drill a 3/8 hole above the current steering shaft slot. Use a pilot hole if needed. The hole needs to be centered about at the top edge. Then use a saw to cut out the section between the two, making the hole an extension of the existing slot. This will allow for the steeper angle of the steering shaft.

lift kit 010.jpg

After the front end pieces are all attached its time to brace it so you don't bust up your firewall/body tub.
I cut the brace out of the same body. It was originally the door sill and inner panel between the sill and floor panel.

lift kit 004.jpg

Here is a quick look at our progress so far.

lift kit 015.jpg
Last edited by taz11 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By taz11
Here is where the front brace came from.....IN RED

While you are at it......cut out the section in GREEN also. You will need two 2 1/2 x 3" rectangles from this.
Attachments
lift kitcuts.jpg
By taz11
drew510 wrote:Dang, that is a lift alright! Looking good.

;)
Ok thanks to you I have to find some jeeps! Im also seeing a lot of extra space created above the motors
By taz11
Just remember to keep the heavy stuff down low. Lifted jeeps tend to pop wheelies if the weight is to high and to the rear.

I have some bodies I'm going to cut up at some point....I'll make these parts available to members when I get to it.
Last edited by taz11 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
By taz11
To relocate the front bumper you will need to start by cutting it off.....

Like so...

lift kit 006.jpg

The cut location is critical so you have enough to reattach it with. I cut it straight across the top at the two slots that hold the grill. The sides slope back to the base of the module.

I used one self drilling screw to hold the bumper in place (from the bottom up into the center of the grille) while I attached the before mentioned 3 x 2 1/2 plastic plates. This makes the bumper as rigid as it was originally.

lift kit 008.jpg

I have to make a supply run to finish the steering shaft......

but, I could not resist a quick test fit of some taller tires.

lift kit 014.jpg
lift kit 012.jpg
By taz11
The Gambler wrote:any progress on the steering shaft?

I have it mocked up in my head. I got real busy last week and did not have time to get to it. It is in the works.

EDIT Later down the road, it was determined that a Mustang steering shaft may work with this. Check out toycrushers topic here...http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14944
Last edited by taz11 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
By taz11
So...here is an update.

I scrounged up a 4" black pipe nipple. I cut the threads off and drilled it and tapped it for two 1/4-20 set screws.

I cut the steering shaft in half and ground some flats on it.

It was then that I realized.......DOH!!!....I needed a 5 inch nipple!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :roll: :oops: :oops:

So...need to get one. I will post pics and specifics when i get that one set up. It worked very well except for the length issue.
By taz11
Better late than never.....

I ended up using a 1/4" x 6" black pipe nipple. I cleaned out the inside with a 23/64 drill bit so the stock steering shaft would fit nicely inside it. (3/8 seemed too loose). I drilled and tapped two 1/4-20 holes, one at each end. Then I cut the stock steering shaft in the area that is under the dash. Set it together in the jeep and mark both holes on the shaft ends. Then grind or file a flat spot at each mark. I recommend leaving a "tab" beyond the flat so if the set screw loosens up the shaft does not pull out :shock: :o . You will have to drill a new hole in the firewall between the old hole and the floor to allow for the shaft angle change. I forgot to take a measurement on that so I will have to get back to you later for the exact location.

parts 007.jpg

parts 004.jpg
parts 003.jpg
parts 001.jpg
Last edited by taz11 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
By taz11
Forgot to add...... The new hole that the steering shaft passes through is about 1 3/4 inches up from the floor.

Other important numbers if you are going to attempt this....

1) the pieces to remount the bumper are 3 X 2-1/2
2) the front module brace is 3-3/4 wide, 4-3/4 long, and the mounting flange is 1" high.

For those that feel somewhat intimidated by this...
I cut up a few tubs this weekend if anyone needs them. Kits will be in the for sale section soon

First come, first served, while limited supplies last.
By M1m3R
debating...

do you have a price on the kits ?

looking at using the wheel/tires from the feber dynamite on a lifted jeep... trying to decide between chopping up a donor jeep or getting a kit from you.
By taz11
The tires used in this topic are:

PW# M7873-2769 (right) qty 2
PW# M7873-2779 (left) qty 2
Hubcap # B9785-2459 qty 4
Bushing # B9785-2229 qty 2

By taz11
M1m3R wrote:debating...

do you have a price on the kits ?

looking at using the wheel/tires from the feber dynamite on a lifted jeep... trying to decide between chopping up a donor jeep or getting a kit from you.

Keep an eye out in the FS section. I should be listing some soon.
you are a whop genius. you are not to far from me. do you still have a stack of tubs? or are you using them for the lifts? would be interested in buying some (not for lifting) for a different project.
By M1m3R
thaks taz. hacked up a garbage, sun-faded donor jeep. have the rear tub + wheels (and axel from a feber dymanite) mostly fabbed up. need to work on the front end now.

will post pics in a project thread later.
By taz11
M1m3R wrote:thaks taz. hacked up a garbage, sun-faded donor jeep. have the rear tub + wheels (and axel from a feber dymanite) mostly fabbed up. need to work on the front end now.

will post pics in a project thread later.

Feel free to post pics here too...along with any feed back or helpfull changes or revisions. Thanks!
By taz11
iowassfan wrote:Sure, I finally get my 2" lift installed I bought from you and I log back onto the forum to see you have figured out a way for 4" lift. LOL. Looks great!

REALLY? You have that luck too? :lol:
Very cool Taz...nice work!
thanks taz! i used your method and built this jeep. it sold the same day i finished it for $250! fairly easy overall. i have a welder so i just lenghthened the steering rod the easy way. im going to build more, the only hard thing to find cheap is the taller wheels.
Attachments
3F93N13Ha5I75Kd5J3cb36dea2c27fb881ac1.jpg
I saw your jeep on CL....very cool ride!
Been seeing those ads...I've had to resist buying one from you cheapjeeps...haha
By taz11
cheapjeeps wrote:i might order a few taz.

Let me know, I have lots of tubs to cut.
By ms1120
Is there a particular reason that you move the bumper down? I mean is it structural or just for looks? Do any of you have pics of the bumper from the front prior to moving it?
By taz11
ms1120 wrote:Is there a particular reason that you move the bumper down? I mean is it structural or just for looks? Do any of you have pics of the bumper from the front prior to moving it?

The whole module/bumper mount moves down. If you look at the original jeep that I did, I moved the bumper up with a relocation kit.
i try to use those "tube style" bumpers because i think they look ok lower. the first one i did i used the bumper like taz did but decided to go with the tube bumper instead. if i run out of the tube bumper steering modules ill probably do the same as he did and relocate the bumper higher
Taz -

Thank you for the great write up on extending the steering column!!! I was trying to figure out how to handle this on the "monster" silverado I'm building for my daughter (nick named "lil' Monster"). I assume the reason you went the route of grinding/flatting a spot rather than drilling a hole all the way thru was for rigidity/strength correct? I have a drill press, so originally I had planned to just drill a straight hole all the way thru and use thin bolts, but I assume this would be stronger (albeit probably have a greater chance of loosing over time).

Edit: Looking at your pictures, I can see why now. There wouldn't be much "material" left in the original shaft by the time you drilled through.
Last edited by paulrbeers on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
By taz11
BAD news...and GOOD news...

The BAD news is that (so I've been told)the hubcaps for the Brute force tires used above are no longer available new :? :cry: .......Not sure if they have been discontinued or if they just ran out of them.

The GOOD news is that I'm working on a few other alternatives for lifted jeep tires. :D :D :D :D :D

More to come......
Thank you for the update Taz!
By taz11
12v F150 wheel set , 4 hex bushings, and 4 shaft collars =
parts 005.jpg

2- K8285-2039 Right Wheel
2- K8285-2239 Left Wheel
2- L6348-6179 Rear Rim
2- L6348-6249 Front Rim
2- K8285-2429 Inner Front Rim
2- K8285-2279 Driver
4- 73233-2559 Hex Bushing

Front...... install as normal, using a shaft collar (or trim axle and use a pushnut)

Rear...... Install one hex bushing into the rear hubcap from the outside. Install one hex bushing into the wheel driver from the center of the wheel (it will not fit from the outside). When the wheel is assembled the inner bushing should be trapped between the wheel halves. Install the wheel with a shaft collar or cut the axle and use a pushnut.

Fits factory lifted Jeep also

These are a direct fit on the newer short axles!
Last edited by taz11 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By taz11
14"....but narrower than the old 14" wheels. I have also found a way to mount Hurricane wheels on jeeps with this lift. I left my camera at work so you have to wait until Monday for the pics :oops: :oops:

Cost depends on who you get them from.......I think sea stork had some used ones.

I "THINK" (need to confirm) I can get you new ones and all caps/bushings for $49 plus shipping.(set of 4) That is assuming you are not in a rush.
Last edited by taz11 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thanks for the hard work taz
By taz11
madmaxdecals wrote:thanks for the hard work taz

Back breaking! :P :? :roll:
By taz11
Hurricane wheels......

parts 004.jpg

This requires the bumper to be relocated as shown above, and there is a chance (depending on bumper style) that the bumper tips may need trimming. I have not had a chance to investigate the bumper types to confirm this.

Fronts are stock hurricane front wheels.
Rears are Hurricane rears with the hex bushings installed same as the F150 wheels as described above.

Both require shaft collars OR shaft trimming
Last edited by taz11 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
By taz11

I don't know what any of this means, but I'll repl[…]

What was the voltage of the second battery? did y[…]

Gaucho: is this normal?

Diagnosis was spot on with the wheel drivers! One […]

That's a slick little ride. Never knew Rollplay m[…]

HobbyMasters