KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Anything you want to put here that is "G" rated that doesnt really fit anywhere else
By civieybuilder
Hope to get some input from others. So, I have a 12 year old combo set of Dewalt 18v tools (circular & reciprocating saws and drill). While I do not have a bad word to say about the tools, the batteries seem to only last about 2 years. Well, I am at the point of either,

1. Buying new 18v NiCd batteries
2. Buying new LiPo batteries and would need a charger
3. Buying new 20v Dewalt tool set.
3. Buying Ryobi tool set
4. Buying Ridgid tool set.

It is pretty obvious that Dewalt is phasing out the 18v line, so I am hesitant to buy 18v dewalt LiPo batteries and charger. The Ryobi set is very cheep, which I guess is good and bad. The Ridgid is more expensive than the Dewalt, but includes lifetime replacement of tools AND batteries.

Anyone have any thoughts on the above, or cordless tools in general?
By taz11
I am currently using a Ryobi One+ 18v drill in commercial service. So far, so good. Its been about a year.
By civieybuilder
Interesting on the commercial use of Ryobi. One thing about Ryobi I do not like is there circular saw is a 5 1/2". I have a ton of 6 1/2 blades, and the 5 1/2 will not cut 2x boards on a 45 or a 4x4 with 2 passes.
By taz11
I have not been impressed by anyones cordless circular saw yet. They are good for quick awkward cuts but you can't use them for a big project. The batteries die in 3 cuts.
By toycrusher
taz11 wrote:I have not been impressed by anyones cordless circular saw yet. They are good for quick awkward cuts but you can't use them for a big project. The batteries die in 3 cuts.

Well, mostly. I have a 28v Milwaukee set. When the batteries were new it could go for quite a while before losing charge. A few years later they die in about 2.35 cuts :roll:

I finally bit the bullet and bought a new "improved" battery for it. I spent a month bidding on ebay and the cheapest I finally got it at was like $110 for ONE :shock: But, my tools are awesome again :D :D :D :roll:
By civieybuilder
I have been pretty happy with the dewalt saw. A couple of years ago I ripped a 1/2" off 4 2x8's that were each 8 feet (32' total cut length) and still had enough battery life to use my drill for quite a while afterwards. But, no your right about bigger jobs, better get out the corded.
By taz11
32' is pretty impressive...and ripping (aka binding) no less.

I go for the cheap stuff if it will do the job. My tools get used on a service truck so they are exposed to all sorts of weather plus the high likelyhood of being left on the side of the road :oops:
Last edited by taz11 on Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Z7What
I have 2 sets of 18V Makita Drill and Impact Driver Combo. One is the brushless version which was given to me used when a friend swapped to the 20V Lithium Dewalt Combo , the other is the standard combo i bought new. When my buddy gave me the brushless set it included one 3.0mAh battery, when i bought the standard kit there was a deal that i got a extra battery for a total of three 3.0mAh batteries. The used battery he gave me is garbage, theres something internally wrong with it as it doesnt fully charge and only last a few minutes. The 3 i got new are over a year old and are like new and last a long time.

The Makita combo i bought was replacing a Ryobi Combo i bought about 10years ago. It was completely star fish, even when new the batteries didnt last long and the tools really didnt have much power. The last 10 years battery and cordless technology has improved a bunch so i would say that the Ryobi Combo wouldnt be that bad to get. The Dewalts my buddy got at NICE, there lighter than my Makitas and the RPMs that they spin are much faster than mine also. Another cool feature is that Dewalts have is that the battery packs have a built in meter on them so before you even use them you know how much charge they have.

Another friend has the Rigid Combo and i like that one as well. All and all if i was to buy again, i would buy the Dewalt.

Wayne
By wired
Rigid brand. Strong as heck and long battery life (with meter). Lifetime warranty on everything including batteries and charger. Yep, everything else is going to the dump. No more dead batteries.
By McHandyDadelectric
When dewalt released the new 18v to 20v adapter I dug out all my old 18v tools and use them regularly with 20v max batteries now.
12v 550 motors upgraded to 36v?

Thank for your advice Rob, but from what i have re[…]

Hi, i need 2 new batteries for my kids Peg perego […]

Just curious If I need to wet or dry sand the seat[…]

Quick fix to slow it down again - go back to a 6v […]

HobbyMasters