KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Anything you want to put here that is "G" rated that doesnt really fit anywhere else
By CJB
So I'm a big deer hunter. Have been all my life. A few years ago I got a nice enclosed deer stand (looks like a water tower) and now I hunt in comfort with my buddy heater and office chair. Well, as much of a geek that I am :ugeek: I need some power for various things - fan (to circulate the heat), charge my phone, etc, and lights for the early morning and late evening as I arrive and leave.

The plan:

I picked up a 100W solar panel kit from Amazon and I have 2 12v 12AH grubers in a box with the charge controller from the panel kit. I'll keep the battery box under my stand and put the panel facing straight up on a stump on the edge of the meadow so as to not make strange deer-repelling reflections. From the battery box, I have a cable running up into my stand to a homemade box containing a 12v port, and a 12v-5v convertor powering 4 USB ports. This should nicely power my fan, phone charger, and the RGB LED strips I have on the way :lol:

So the only question remaining - what to do with a $180 solar panel kit when it's not hunting season? Other than charge power wheels? Thoughts?
By wired
Use it to trickle charge your mower battery? Set up a charging dock for all your portable electronics? If you have a common charging area you seldom lose them. No more "where did I put my..?" or "honey have you seen my phone?". I definitely wouldn't leave it out in the woods no matter what else you decide to use it for. Even if it sits in a box for 8 months.
By sea_stork
Yeah, I wouldn't leave it in the woods either. Nice looking mono panel. Glad you didn't buy that amorphous garbage from Harbor Freight. :D

I'm mounting a pair of Kyocera 50w panels on my GF's 19' pontoon to maintain a 3 -75ah
battery bank for night fishing and flounder gigging, as well as the usual ports for phone chargers, a fan, maybe an inverter too, but still iffy on that... The plan is to light up the night! 8-)

For your deer feeder it probably won't matter, but for optimum output you may not want to face it straight up unless you're on the equator, instead tilt it to the south. Use an online latitude angle calculator, or just use your voltmeter. It will put out the highest voltage reading at the optimum angle.

Attic ventilation is probably not an issue up there, but you can use the power for lots of things. In addition to charging gadgets as Wired mentioned use it to power indoor or outdoor LED lighting, security lighting, fans, garden pond pumps, almost anything that uses an electric motor, a battery, or an led light. It may be a bit too big to mount on an electric lawnmower? I have seen riding mowers converted, and would like to have one. http://hackaday.com/2013/10/02/electrif ... uls-grass/
Last edited by sea_stork on Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
By CJB
That mower is crazy - 48v of lithium-ion :o

I may use it as a battery tender for my (big boy) polaris. Especially in the winter when the battery gets abused by the winch bringing the plow up and down. That's a solid idea.

I like the pontoon idea. I could use it on my boat to keep my trolling motor battery up.
Last edited by CJB on Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gaucho: is this normal?

Diagnosis was spot on with the wheel drivers! One […]

That's a slick little ride. Never knew Rollplay m[…]

Hello everyone, Few weeks ago i've started tweaki[…]

New Corvette C7 Z06

How many cans of the white did you use?

HobbyMasters