KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Anything you want to put here that is "G" rated that doesnt really fit anywhere else
By jgeezer1986
Hi everyone! First think, thanks for accepting me and great site. I have been browsing your forums for a couple days now trying to find information on troubleshooting my sons Power Wheels Dune Racer.

It was left out in the rain one night ( without the battery in the car) . I suspected this may have caused the issue, but as I disassembled the buggy, I found no water in any of the electrical parts so I'm thinking maybe not. Here is what I have, I hope someone can help. (btw, its not modified, but your groups seems to be the most knowledgeable to Power Wheels.)

I have disassembled the Dune Racer to a point where I could physically see every wire from start to finish. There is absolutely nothing when the pedal is depressed. It just stopped working the other day. There is no fuse in the wiring, I assume the only fuse in the system is the thermal fuse in the battery. I tested the foot switch and both the hi/low and reverse/forward switch. Both show continuity with no resistance on a digital volt meter. No wires are broken. I also tested the switches on an 12v external power supply and they all passed the 12v completely.

The battery is showing about 13.5v right off the charger and goes down to about 13.2v/13.1v after a day of sitting. I cant not get a reading directly from the posts of the battery while its hooked up and under load, but I was able to get a reading where the negative terminal goes into the switch and the hot wire goes into the back of the pedal. When I depress the pedal, the voltage drops from around 13v to 1v or under ( readings are not consistent, but never get above 1v).

I have also checked these voltages at the motors. The readings at the motors are similar, and not enough to supply the minimum 3v to turn the motors.

I have disassembled the switches and checked for corrosion and they are fine. The charger is putting out about 14.5v.

Before I go randomly buying parts for my dune racer, can someone give me their educated opinion on this matter? I assume the battery is out, but I feel like i'm overlooking something due to the way it just stopped running, and its less than a year old. Also, the code i found stamped on the battery is 0493lc2.

Thanks in advance. Great forum.

John G.
Johnstown PA
By taz11
If the voltage drops to 1v the problem is your battery OR something between the battery and your testing point. Most likely the battery.
By SigEp
If the battery is measuring 13.5v, that sounds good to me. I'd start with the switches. Measure before and after each switch. Based on what you described, I'd say maybe the foot pedal switch is the culprit. The other way to verify if it's the battery or not is to run a couple wires directly from the battery to one of the motors and see what kind of power you get out of it.
By taz11
Hey Sig....... I'll put $5 on the battery....you in? :lol: :lol: :P

You can use a set of jumper wires to your full size car battery for testing.
Last edited by taz11 on Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
By SigEp
taz11 wrote:Hey Sig....... I'll put $5 on the battery....you in? :lol: :lol: :P

You can use a set of jumper wires to your full size car battery for testing.

I know it sounds like the battery. :lol: I've never thought about using jumpers to a regular car battery, that's a good idea!

I'm going off a couple presumptions:

1. It worked just find prior to being left one night in the rain.
2. That volt meter reading on the battery is correct.
Last edited by SigEp on Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Original reply deleted. See below. ***UPDATE**[…]

I was very lucky to find a Mario Kart on craigsli[…]

Gaucho grande

Hello everyone. Does anyone have parts for Gauch[…]

I will arrange can we exchange information offline[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course