KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Anything you want to put here that is "G" rated that doesnt really fit anywhere else
By dozer
I'm moving mine.
Instructions say to build an 8 inch "cove" of sifted soil around the inside corner of the pool wall, under the liner. This is to prevent the liner from being pushed under the pool wall by the weight of the water.

sifting soil is a tedious horrible time consuming thing to do.

Anyone else ever set up an above ground pool. Got a better solution.

dozer wrote:I'm moving mine.
Instructions say to build an 8 inch "cove" of sifted soil around the inside corner of the pool wall, under the liner. This is to prevent the liner from being pushed under the pool wall by the weight of the water.

sifting soil is a tedious horrible time consuming thing to do.

Anyone else ever set up an above ground pool. Got a better solution.

I helped a buddy tear down a free one and put it back up at his place a few years ago. I do remember using sand under the liner to level it up,we didnt build a cove around the inside of the walls though.
I do know you will want plenty of help standing the side pieces up and putting them together,it was just me and my buddy doing his and we had it tied to everything we could find;trucks,cars,tractor,stakes.Just to hold up the sides so we could complete the circle.
By dozer
did a search (I tend to post stuff here for opinions before searching, info here is better)
found this.
foam shaped to form a cove, got a price, $145 for my pool.
By dozer
jparthum wrote:I wonder if sand would work just as well...? :?
in that link they say use sand or these foam things.
My instructions say use sifted soil only. Everything else could get washed out and let the liner get pushed under the wall.
I see a lot about using sand tho.

http://www.poolsaboveground.com/pool-in ... lation.php
By dozer
hootienchyna wrote:yes and a couple inch base in rest of pool
so the base, is that after you assemble the frame or put theat down first.

I have excavated down and filled with limestone to keep larger stones from poking through. If the limestone is level then what is the least amount of sand I should use.
dozer wrote:I will, but what is the least amount of sand I could gat away with on a good base of limestone screening
I would be leery using <1" of sand. Over time you will start to find/feel stuff on the bottom with your toes when your walking around. Things tend to creep up.

How big is it? 48" or 52" sidewalls? What brand?
By dozer
Hi jack away. I'm guilty of it myself.

Black it's a 48"high oval. 30" by 15'. beaded liner. got a new liner, beaded was expensive.

Here's the story:

pool came with the house.
old owners - not to bright.
they built a nice deck all the way around the pool ..... no pressure treated wood or cedar. went out every spring to find the boards I'd step through.
I think they also set it up over part of the septic tank, that side is leaning. they also built the deck around the lean.
they also drywalled the living room with out taping the joints and put all the trimwork on backwards, thin side out.

we'e moving it cause we plan on adding an addition and the pool is in the way.
the deck was rotten. Church youth group was looking for yard work last year to raise money, I smiled. they showed up with 10 people and the deck disappeared in 4 hours. we gave $500 and the power wheels sales for the day. God sold a lot of pw's that day, so $900 later...

the deck blocked the view of the whole yard. not good with kids.
And it's just in the middle of the yard.

And after coming back from Haiti and seeing how much we have compared to them. We decided we don't need a deck.
We're putting chain link fence all the way around.

I'll post pics of my progress later.

Black, my phone is on cable so no long distance in NA. can I call you

my email is stevesemple1@yahoo.ca

J send your number again too
By dozer
dozer wrote:Hi jack away. I'm guilty of it myself.

Black it's a 48"high oval. 30" by 15'. beaded liner. got a new liner, beaded was expensive.

Here's the story:

pool came with the house.
old owners - not to bright.
they built a nice deck all the way around the pool ..... no pressure treated wood or cedar. I went out every spring to find the boards I'd step through.
I think they also set it up over part of the septic tank, that side is leaning. they also built the deck around the lean.
they also drywalled the living room with out taping the joints and put all the trimwork on backwards, thin side out.

we're moving it cause we plan on adding an addition and the pool is in the way.
The deck was rotten. Church youth group was looking for yard work last year to raise money, I smiled. they showed up with 10 people and the deck disappeared in 4 hours. we gave $500 and the power wheels sales for the day. God sold a lot of pw's that day, so $900 later...

the deck blocked the view of the whole yard. The railing had lattice on it. not good with kids.
And it's just in the middle of the yard.

And after coming back from Haiti and seeing how much we have compared to them. We decided we don't need a deck.
We're putting chain link fence all the way around.

I'll post pics of my progress later.

Black, my phone is on cable so no long distance in NA. can I call you

my email is stevesemple1@yahoo.ca

J send your number again too
By dozer
Here's where I'm at so far.

check out the lean of the wall in the first pic compared to the first.

All the rocks on the last pic were in the ground where the pool is going.
I pulled the all by hand.
I live on the niagara escarpment rock, rock , rock and ....rock.
Attachments
IMG_0045.JPG
IMG_0045.JPG (110.96 KiB) Viewed 8460 times
IMG_0046.JPG
IMG_0046.JPG (82.16 KiB) Viewed 8460 times
IMG_0044.JPG
IMG_0044.JPG (143.47 KiB) Viewed 8460 times
IMG_0048.JPG
IMG_0048.JPG (156.43 KiB) Viewed 8460 times
IMG_0049.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG (177.85 KiB) Viewed 8460 times
IMG_0047.JPG
IMG_0047.JPG (209.33 KiB) Viewed 8460 times
By dozer
Here's how far I got this afternoon. Severe thunderstorms tomorrow so I had to get some water in it.
By evening I had the liner in and top rails on. Filling it slowly now. I'm on a well and can't just turn the water on full blast.

When we moved the pool we found 6 inches of sand under it. Old owners built up instead of digging down to get level ground, thats the wrong way and explains the lean on one side.
It's a good thing I bought 2 yards of sand :x :cry:

And Toby using a Gator for what it made to do. But he got bored after the 3rd or 4th trip and did something else.
Attachments
IMG_0087.JPG
IMG_0087.JPG (151.79 KiB) Viewed 8442 times
IMG_0088.JPG
IMG_0088.JPG (114.48 KiB) Viewed 8442 times
IMG_0089.JPG
IMG_0089.JPG (133.21 KiB) Viewed 8442 times
Copy of IMG_1633.JPG
Copy of IMG_1633.JPG (196.02 KiB) Viewed 8442 times
Sorry Dozer :oops: ,

I meant to reply a few days ago. I just PM'ed you my number. Call me anytime. During the day would be best FWIW. If I don't answer, leave a number and I will call back within a few minutes.

Now to the pool.

Did you put patio blocks under the uprights?

Did you use a transit/level to level the blocks?
jparthum wrote:I don't want to hi-jack dozer's thread :oops: , but do you have any recommendations for a purchase (brands, specs, pros/cons, etc.)? :)
The company I worked for only installed 3-5 brands of pools so take it for what it's worth. And were talking 11-12 years ago'ish.

We preferred the Johnny Wiseman pools. Sturdy, nice rails, etc.. Basically a pool is like a car so it depends on what features you want/depth of pockets you have. The filter is one thing I wouldn't skimp on.

If you want to pick my brain go ahead and call or email me. I'll PM you my info.
before i didn't knew that country executives can do the job in setting up swimming pools. this link is easy to understand, http://www.pooltown.net/Swimming-Pool-Care-Guide/. check it out. we had our above ground pool at home for almost two months now from backyard ocean and just hired a guy to do the job for us.
Last edited by jamaicabraden on Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By modmom32
I really Like your Pool!!!!!!! Lucky dog, But I know how difficult it can be setting one up. ;)
***Hijacking too****( just thought since topic was here i could add my experience and learn from yours.My guess is you have been it now, So I hope it worked, any feed back. We were talking about doing larger pool too. However it wont be for 2 or 3 yrs. This year we found a 15' by 48" metal frame for $40. No probs with it... My lawn is on hill, no flat spot, so "I" dug it out, and filled it with water, shoveled in some sand...not much, then leveled it out with rake and 2x4, removing rocks and sticks n glass ( IDK how glass is so bad in my yard) then I put down liner and thin carpet around entire bottom. Now we have built a deck and I found a pool ladder for $20 ( the expensive kind) and slide that works on our small deck for $25. Then I used a fish tank pump to cycle water to top of slide so that I dont spend $ on water from hose while slide is on. Also attacting solar lights and put an led camping light inside ziplock sandwich box air tight, face down lights up pool. Also I tore down old ladder to attatch to deck from inside pool. My deck also works great as PW garage...lol......This is a Rainy day, I like to mod n post on days like today.......so heres my dirty pool with the steps to deck locked in upward position so others have at least a difficult time sneaking into our pool. Image
By jparthum
I've been considering getting that exact same pool while we continue pondering a larger pool in our future. The 'brand' appears to be an Academy 'exclusive' that sells for ~$300 (I haven't come across any good deals on used ones yet :( ).

Do you have a ballpark estimate of what your operational costs are (chemicals, electricity, water, etc.)? :)
By modmom32
My water to fill it was only a $60 increase 1 time a year, Chemical...Well so far I have spent $100 on Chlorine packets, $50 tablets, and a large bag of Bakingsoda. It came with algea control and PH control ( both of which I have not needed) then 1 container of stablelizer lasts me 2 yrs its about $20 i think. Well worht it since, beach parking at lake is $10 plus $10 gas per visit and there are only 2 public pools 1 is 8 per adult, 4 per kid and the other is 5 per adult 3 per kid unless under 3. sooo I will have saved a bundle by end of Summer, Not to mention at night My husband and I hangout in there having a drink or 2 and watch a movie on the all in one Tv I can hang on my Deck with surround. Soooooo... it includes Dates and activities for kid parties or family cookouts, along with PW,s...lol
By dozer
it is nice having it when you can use it.
Still haven't been in it. We've had an unusually cold spring.
The filter plugged up cause I started to ignore it so it was green the other day. I mean like the lawn green.
scrubb it with the brush and 2 scoops of shock (powdered clorine) in the skimmer. and 8 liters of algicide and its clean again but still only 26c degrees.
Going to paint the sides black to absorb more heat.
The temporary pool are nice cause you don't need to have all the safety pool enclosure stuff. like a 5 foot high fence. and self coling gate. But I will say those laws are there because of tragedys. You did the right thing with that lift up ladder.
If you keep the PH and alkalineity and other numbers in line you will use a lot less chlorine.
As far as water goes, we had water in our basement this year and once that was cleaned up I put a pump in the sump with garden hose on it and filled the the pool. 40 000 liters from my sump. It was clean water too.

OH and if your going to put a permanent on like mine in rent a transit (tripod level thing) to level the patio stones under the poles. I didn't and it shows.
Last edited by dozer on Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By jparthum
Thanks for the details modmom! 8-) That gives me a good point of reference for this pool, and more food for thought in considering a larger pool for later. This also seemed to me like a large enough size for our 3yo son to have some growing room, and for adults to hang out in - thanks again for confirming the latter ;) . I've already scoped out a backyard area that would be somewhat secluded, near an electrical outlet, and within hose reach from a water faucet. I think with a little rearranging, I could also get audio/video nearby as well (hadn't considered that until you mentioned it :) ). I think the location that I have in mind would also allow me to funnel in rain water from a gutter. :idea:

I have a buddy with access to a transit if needed. I'm debating how much is really necessary for a foundation at this size, and how much is overkill - just kill the grass and level the dirt by hand, or haul in some dirt/sand (60/40, which I need to fill other low spots anyway) and set concrete blocks...? :?

Thanks for all the info guys. Getting advice in a forum where you know the members better, is much more valuable to me, than random opinions found in other forums/articles. 8-)
By dozer
There's lots of how to's on you tube. All of them say remove sod. A customer told me he saw the grass growing right through the liner on his friends pool.

For the temporary pools a transit is overkill. but for a larger more permanent one like mine all the uprights are placed on patiostones and a transit is faster (would have been) and more accurate. Blacksheep used to install pools, I called him and he asked if I used a transit so if the pros use it......

Don't use a sand dirt mix. just stick to sand underneath. If there's any sticks in the dirt you'll feel them even if they don't poke through.
By Kstorm21
dozer wrote:it is nice having it when you can use it.
Still haven't been in it. We've had an unusually cold spring.
The filter plugged up cause I started to ignore it so it was green the other day. I mean like the lawn green.
scrubb it with the brush and 2 scoops of shock (powdered clorine) in the skimmer. and 8 liters of algicide and its clean again but still only 26c degrees.
Going to paint the sides black to absorb more heat.
The temporary pool are nice cause you don't need to have all the safety pool enclosure stuff. like a 5 foot high fence. and self coling gate. But I will say those laws are there because of tragedys. You did the right thing with that lift up ladder.
If you keep the PH and alkalineity and other numbers in line you will use a lot less chlorine.
As far as water goes, we had water in our basement this year and once that was cleaned up I put a pump in the sump with garden hose on it and filled the the pool. 40 000 liters from my sump. It was clean water too.

OH and if your going to put a permanent on like mine in rent a transit (tripod level thing) to level the patio stones under the poles. I didn't and it shows.
Have you tried a solar cover? I used one on my small pool and it was like bath water.

Target
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/18 ... v_XSG10001
$19.99
Intex Solar Cover (12 X 39')
By dozer
solar cover is not enough. Our nights are too cool in the spring even though we can have heat alerts during the day.
summer time it will often warm up enough on its own.
I'm going to run black pipes on the garage roof to heat the water with the sun. That should extend the pool season from mid may to mid sept.
By jparthum
After reading dozens of reviews for various brands of chlorine generators, I think I'm beginning to realize how much of a headache pool maintenance can really be :shock: . Apparently it's not something that pool owners typically complain about too often - I guess they figure there's no point, since they're already committed - but once they implement one of these products, the vast majority of reviews seem to be praising the general technology (compared with the huge hassle and costs of maintaining a pool using chemicals) rather than the specific product. I think I'm now convinced that I don't even want a pool, unless I also have a chlorine generator. :?

...In kind of the same way that I wouldn't want the hassle/cost of maintaining/replacing SLA batteries without a smart charger. 8-)
Last edited by jparthum on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
By treebeme
Pools SUCK. They require constant work, adjustments, cleaning, etc and they still turn green at least once a summer. They are a major pain.

They can be a lot of fun but they are a huge investment of both time and money.
By jparthum
treebeme wrote:Pools SUCK. They require constant work, adjustments, cleaning, etc and they still turn green at least once a summer. They are a major pain.

They can be a lot of fun but they are a huge investment of both time and money.
That's becoming apparent to me now :shock: . But I'm holding out hope that a chlorine generator would eliminate most of that hassle, without adding a ton of cost to my electric bill :? . Most of the reviews are by people who 'upgraded' from using the traditional chemical method to using a chlorine generator, so they seem ecstatic by comparison. But since I would potentially be moving from zero costs and maintenance, to whatever cost and maintenance is required with a chlorine generator, I'm still having a hard time making a good assessment :? . If it is as effective as the typical claim by reviewers, then the cost (for the Intex model shown above) for one season shouldn't exceed the cost of chemicals by much (according to modmom32's info), and if the products lasts for more than one season, it would become increasingly cheaper.

I think what I'm the most leery of, is that opinions can easily become exaggerated when compared with something that is dramatically different - are many of these people just substituting less work for more money? If so, I may still be on-board, I'd just like to know more specific 'quantities' of each. :geek:
By treebeme
I have a 16' above ground metal framed collapsable pool.

I figure I run through between $200 and $300 worth of chemicals a season. If you look at modmon's numbers she leaves out shock. I have never been able to get through a season without using a decent amount of shock. Then you have to worry about the filters. Personally, I clean mine with a hose over and over again rather than replacing them but if you don't do that they are $10 a shot and should be replaced once a month.Then something always breaks (pump, hose, ladder, etc) so figure another $100 in repair costs.

But the bigger issue is the time. You need to skim leaves and bugs almost every time you use it. You should vacuum once a week. You have to spend the time adding chemicals. You need to be testing the water. Repairs take time. If going with a temporary you lose a day getting it setup and taken down. And you have to store it somewhere.

It adds up quickly.
By treebeme
I do not use a pool cover. My original pool (permanent above ground) was so big (27 foot round) that it wasn't practical to be pulling a cover on and off every time I used it and my current pool (16 foot round) was very awkward trying to put it on and off myself.

As for the pumps, I'm on my third temporary pool. The pumps on the first two were very underpowered. I ended up going out and buying a real pump designed for a steel above ground pool that had triple the GPH rating of the stock models. That worked out better but it did eventually break. Then I bought a better temporary pool that had better pressure in stock form.

There is really no getting around the fact that pools are a lot of work.
By treebeme
I removed my permeant above ground pool because I built an extension to my house and it was in my way.

The temporary pools are prone to pinhole leaks, especially on the air-rings. I don't know if that is due to my weed-whacker, lawnmower, my children, stuff falling off the nearby trees or just how I stored the pool over the winter, but I found myself starting off each new year patching small leaks for the first month. I might have been able to keep patching holes and be on my original pool but eventually it just got out of hand and I bought a new one (twice). I got two years each out of the first two temporary pools.

Now I have a steel framed (temporary) pool so I don't have to worry about the pin-hole leaks in an air-ring. And it's a more expensive double-lined model so I haven't had any pinhole leaks in the sidewalls yet.
Last edited by treebeme on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By jparthum
Great info. 8-)

I've already ruled out a blow-up ring type due to longevity problems I've read about, but I'm still on the fence as to whether I might make a steel frame pool a more 'permanent' type of installation, or take it down each year :? . We're in a very warm climate, so there are typically only 3~4 months each year when it would be too cold to swim. Supposedly :| , I could cover the pool, leave the pump and chlorine generator timed to run for a little while each day, and my only maintenance during the off-season would be periodically cleaning/replacing the filter ($5/ea. for the pool/pump I'm considering), and cleaning the Titanium plates ($$$) in the generator.

I've also seen a LOT of comments regarding the durability of the pumps on these smaller pools :( - The newer 15' Intex pools now include a 1000GPH pump (up from the previous ~430GPH?), which also happens to be the approximate minimum recommended size for use with their chlorine generator - I suspect this is part of the reason for the 'upgrade', and I also suspect that they will soon start offering a pool bundled with combo pump/chlorine generator which runs off of the same timer(s), but that's currently only available as a separate purchase. :|
By dozer
I was talking to one of my customers who has had an above ground pool for as long as he can remember.
He just uses the thing that floats the the chlorine pucks around. When my chlorine dispenser thing breaks I'm going to get one of the floaty things.
Want more clorine just add more pucks. Some things are better simpler.
Once you get the water balanced right it's pretty much set for the summer unless you get a lot of rain.
My folks have had a 24' pool since I was young and boy do I have alot of memories.

Putting the trampoline next to it and trying to jump over the 8' round inflatable island...

Getting all of my friends to start walking in circles on the outside for about 5 minuites to create a whirlpool..

Marco polo.. with all kinds of funny rules...

My GF's in HS when the folks were gone on vacation :o :shock: 8-)

Like the drive by media, people tend to only talk about the bad things. Having a nice pool is a great thing for a kid not only for exercise but to also be familiar with going under water, holding your breath, etc..

The maintenance isn't that bad. Shock it once a year, keep chlorine pucks going, monitor the PH levels, skim and clean it every couple of days(to keep floor/walls/water crystal clear). If you miss a week or two, no big deal. It just takes a little longer. A solar cover makes a huge improvement in temperature and to be honest it takes me by myself a whopping 2 minutes to either take it off or put it on. We just wind it up on a 30' piece of 6"pvc and put it under a tree on some sawhorses. This year I finally brought my Alkota steam cleaner home and I'm going to try and heat it with that. Once the temp it up, the solar cover somewhat maintains it as long as the sun is out. My mom doesn't usually get as much time in it due her only going in if the water temp is >85 aka bathwater.

The biggest hassle for us was how to keep a mostly sealed cover on it when it's shut down for the season. Once we have a few storms with 50+mph winds it starts to flap and rip..then the ice buildup during the winter. We have a nice custom setup now and it's rock solid.
By Kstorm21
This is kind of random but we finally went to the pool today and I got a mouth full of water and quickly realized it was a salt water pool. It was the first time I'd been in one. At first I was like, okay either a lot of people have peed and/or sweated in here or it's a salt water pool. It was different and wasn't nearly as strong or nasty as ocean water. :D Not really helpful or insightful put thought I'd share. :D
By jparthum
Kstorm21 wrote:...either a lot of people have peed and/or sweated in here or it's a salt water pool.
Did you verify that it's a saltwater pool? :shock: :?

:lol:

I'm haven't been in one (that I'm aware of), but they're supposed to have a saline content below (or barely within) the threshold of human taste - about the same as a teardrop.
Unibody Jeep Stock Lift

Looking for front and rear modules

Stock lift for unibody jeeps

Are the front and rear modules used for “sto[…]

The Barbie Jeep make over

Here are a couple pics of the upgraded all metal[…]

Texans in 2017?

Clicking in from Houston. I have a small fleet o[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course