KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new motors? Grind a gearbox? Adding teeth to a pinion?
By enigmatizing
Hi Everyone,

Two weeks ago I replaced the dead 6v battery with a 12v 12AH battery in my son's Motion Trendz Buzz Lightyear Car. It definitely increased the speed and run time for the car. The problem is that now a couple weeks later and 3 charges later it seems that the 6v motor has died. Is there a 12v motor I can replace the stock one with? Or I have read in some of the post where you can install (2) 6V motors and gearboxes into these. Would those also crap out with the 12V battery? Any help is greatly appreciated.
By bruces_eviltwin
if you go with 2 motors at 12 volts it evens out at 6 volts each and that means no more pushing a stuck car!:D I have a brand new gearbox and motor if you need$15 plus shipping
By enigmatizing
Thanks for the reply,

Does that also mean it would go back to only 2.5MPH? Also, I don't see a left/right motor designation anywhere. The stock motor in on the right/passenger rear tire. Would I need to do anything special to the wiring so that both motors spin forward/reverse together. I may take you up on your offer, once I make a decision on this.
By bruces_eviltwin
wire the motors in series with 1 motor connected backwards, you may need to replace wires with heavier gauge wires. should give you a slight speed increase
By enigmatizing
Thanks for the info,

What about going with something like the HPI GT550 14.4V motor? Would that fit into the stock gear box? Or could I get new gearbox's with the new motor that will attach to the tire?
By bruces_eviltwin
im not sure the gear box would hold up to a higher rpm motor. I dont have any expierience modding these other than lights. I dont sell performance modded stuff and my kids are too big for em. I got a few of these as store rejects to play with and ended up selling em to friends for xmas gifts I just have the 1 left with a busted body that idont feel right selling.
By enigmatizing
Hi guys,

Quick update. I picked up a Titan 550 14.4v 21T at the local hobby store today. It the same size as the stock 6v 540 in the Motion Trendz Buzz Lightyear Car. So I am going to install it this evening and see if it works. If it does I may pickup another gearbox and a 2nd Titan 550 14.4V 21t and really speed this little car up.
By bruces_eviltwin
you may need the second drive wheel to reduce the spinout effect!
By enigmatizing
Good news! The Motion Trendz Buzz Lightyear Car is back on the road. The Titan 550 works great. It has even given car more speed than just the 12v upgrade. The drive wheel just spins for 5-10 seconds before it gets enough traction to start moving the car. With just the 12v upgrade the car was still fairly slow in the grass, but now with the 12v battery and the 14.4v Titan 550 is zooms right along in the grass. Temped to add a second gearbox and motor, but its plenty fast for my 2.5 year old for now. Thanks for the help.
By bruces_eviltwin
i still have spare wheels also! you may need em with all that spinning :D
By bruces_eviltwin
still need wheels? sorry i missed you somehow! I have a near complete brand new car with a busted body
By Kittyberg
Hi guys,

Im a little late to the party. I just bought this buzz lightyear car used off of craigslist. I have bought a new charger and it seems that the battery is dead. Can someone pretty please direct me to a link to buy compatible replacement battery? Im having a TOUGH time finding one. I have seen one on sears.com but it does not look like the Neata nt6-5 (6v5.oah/20hr) that is currently in Buzz car. THANKS IN ADVANCE- meery merry :)
By Bigmac41288b
Really it all depends on the dimensions of the space you have to put a battery. As long as it's 6v it will work as designed. More "ah" (amp hour) = more runtime. 4-5 ah battery is pretty small and has limited runtime in my opinion. If that is all that will fit then it will have to do. If you can manage to fit something larger it may be worth the few extra bucks to extend the runtime.

This is one that should be comparable to your original battery: www.amazon.com/6V-5Ah-SLA-Rechargeable- ... B00MYL8OQU

It list the dimensions of the battery in the description so just make sure the size is close, unless you want to modify to something larger.
By debmar15
Would love to upgrade on the volts but just looking at this moment to get a battery.. The battery in the buzz lightyear has the fuse at the top that is wired... Can I just buy the recommended compatible battery? when I see what is recommended I don't see the wires and fuse do I need the fuse still? Do I rip this old battery apart ugh I know I'm just a gramma but I want to fix this without going the 40 dollar battery route. Can someone point me to a youtube or diagram on how to get the new battery to work.. in this car I read in a previous post below.. This is one that should be comparable to your original battery: www.amazon.com/6V-5Ah-SLA-Rechargeable- ... B00MYL8OQU this is the original battery 6v50ah20hr thanks for any help

Hi All, Grandpa just got our 2 year old a Power W[…]

Shooting a TV commercial and need two mod power wh[…]

Jeep Hurricane Radio

I looked in the battery compartment and didn't see[…]

This is my gooseneck trailer I made for my son. He[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course