KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new motors? Grind a gearbox? Adding teeth to a pinion?
By M.L.Toys
It took forever to find time to get the R&D done, but we;ve successfully mated our 550 and 775 motors to Kid Trax gearboxes for the Pickup and Camaro. Not sure what other vehicles use the same gearbox. (email us if you've got a pic of your gearbox and the pinion count). Wasn't really rocket science. The 550 is a direct fit. The 775 requires leaving out the metal plate. Their gearbox is way stiffer then a Power Wheels 7R and doesn't seem to need an extra brace/collar. Our steel gear manufacturer will have steel first gears to us in about 2 months. Considering a steel 2nd gear option for this unit as well. That's when Kid Trax vehicles will finally get the reliable 24v speed they've so needed. So without further ado:
http://www.mltoys.com/category-s/138.htm
By Twentworth34
I am trying to convert everything to 5/8 shaft im almost done with my rear axle project but really want to just convert the plastic hubs to a 5/8 bore. Any ideas on the matter? I still plan on using plastic gears my system is using 775 traxxis amd fanctory 7r gearboxes with a metal plate and had to frind out box a little. I guess itll be trial and error on reliability once project is done.. its a little secret squirrel bc I want to see how my setup works b4 all the nay sayers and know it alls come out. But the axle amd power setup looks badass. Just need these hubs to be strong and support a 5/8 bore
By bobbyou812
Quinc wrote:Anyone try these and have any reviews/video? Looking to upgrade my sons Hemi police car.

Hey Quinc, saw your post and registered so that I could possibly provide some help.

First of all, I have a Kid Trax Ram Dually that my son absolutely loves! The battery was starting to wear down so I thought I might try to upgrade the motors and batteries at the same time. I purchased two 12V batteries pre-connected in series on Ebay that also came with the charger. I then ordered the 775 motors from MLToys by purchasing the kit that came with the two 775 motors as well as the metal first gear for both gearboxes. Pretty straightforward on getting the gears put in and motors put on and connected back to the new batteries. Once all that was done, I did the recommended burn-in on the motors by propping up the back and placing a heavy object on the accelerator pedal letting it run for 15 minutes. Everything seemed good to go (aside from the lights and sounds which I will get to shortly). I let my son take it for a spin and within a minute you could hear grinding and what appeared to be be gear slipping with the motors running, but the truck barely moving. I picked the truck up from the back and brought it back to the garage so I could get the gearbox off and look at it.

From all of that, here's is what I saw, what I should have done and where I'm headed from here:

The steel gear does a great job of covering for the weakest link in the gear box . . . the first gear. However, this in turn makes the second gear in the box the weakest link because the teeth on top of the gear that contacts the third gear were ground off in both gearboxes at the same spot. I don't care what you read about just replacing the first gear with steel, the other gears should be replaced with metal gears as well.

What I should have done when I ordered the motors was also ordered a dc pwm motor control module to control the jerkiness that happens when my son pushes on the gas pedal and then also releases. This might have helped to extend the life of the plastic gears in the gearbox. I also should have used the old 12V battery or bought a dc voltage step down module to break out 12V to run the lights and sounds on the truck. With the full 24V going to them makes them sometimes work, but most of the time not.

I have now ordered two more gearboxes to replace the gears that were stripped as well as a pwm module as well as a foot pedal to connect to the module. I'm not sure at the moment if I'm going to order a step down module or just use the old 12V battery for the lights and sounds.

There is a ton of info on powerwheels, but not much on the kid trax ride on toys. I'm still researching how to do everything correctly, but hopefully some of this info helps you out.

So I'm looking at my new Dune Racer Extreme. The s[…]

Newbie with unknown car..

Hi all, Great Forum here, lots of good informati[…]

TL:DR - Is there any difference in the 9993 and […]

The 600A i think has the option to select the amp[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course