KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new motors? Grind a gearbox? Adding teeth to a pinion?
I have been lurking these forums for sometime now. Its helped me a ton. So first of all thanks. This might be a bit long but I would appreciate the insight if anyone has ideas.

Was running 18v on the kids Escalade with 7R 16T gearbox and stock motors, all last summer with no issue. I was using 6v 20ah and 12v 20ah Gel Cells and the only real PITA was charging it every night. I am using a NOCO Genius G750 6V/12V .75A charger, so it was kinda slow and I would have to charge each one on its own.

Anyway. One day my IT guys at work where pulling out some of the UPS backup trays for the main server cluster and I asked if it was cool for me to grab a few of them and save them a trip to the battery depot. "Sure they are only about 3 years old anyway, might as well get some use". Took it all home opened up the battery racks and ended up with 34 x 12v 9ah SLA packs that all seem to be in great shape. Wow wonderful!

At this point I am not interested in going 24v ESC setup on this thing. I have looked into it and honestly I would rather just get a kart frame and put on a 500w chain drive setup, but that isn't in the books anytime soon. So I am scratching my head on how to approach this. I want to keep the 18v speed but I want to ditch the 6v and 12v setup given I have all these new 12v packs at my disposal.

So here are my ideas.

First I am going to get some new 550 motors regardless. I think the stock motors are on their last days. Maybe some HPI 550 GTs.

I am not sure how to solve the voltage problem tho. 24v is too much and will blow the gearboxes for sure. 12v is too little and my kids will not like the downgrade. 18v would be just right but how?

1. Does anyone know of a good 24v to 18v DC setup down unit that can take the amps? (40A) I can't seem to find one.

2. Would a 24v motor speed control like this work?http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-50V-40A-DC-Motor-Speed-Control-PWM-HHO-RC-Controller-12V-24V-48V-2000W-MAX-/370962506627 I could set the speed lower and not overload the motors? Or would this thing just go up in smoke?

3. Would running a good 775 motor at 12v be faster than a 550 at 18v? I really have no idea.

Any other suggestions?

Toycrusher..... Yeah, I agree. I purchased the qu[…]

Newbie to mods for power wheels

By the way it’s a Kawasaki quad, forgot to add tha[…]

Broke steering column.

IMG_0693 (1).JPG weld Point where handlebars conn[…]

Corevette Motor

so much info on this site, but I can't keep it all[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course