KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new motors? Grind a gearbox? Adding teeth to a pinion?
By laadams85
This is my first post so if I miss anything I apologize. My son received a Jakk's Pacific Mario Kart from Toys R Us a couple of winters ago and loves the thing. The problem is that its kind of a dud being that's it's 6v stock and only has one rear motor. So I swapped out the 6v battery and dropped in a 12v which was great except we have now smoked the gear box. Since I am looking at having to replace the gear box I am thinking of doing a transplant from something like a Power Wheels Jeep. I will require extensive modifications to the mounting but I don't see anything too tricky about it. For anybody that has added a second motor to a Power Wheels what were the major challenges? Any other ideas? Here are pics of the damage.
You shouldn't have tremendous difficulty, provided that the rear wheels are both the same and you can get the parts.
Just make sure you "test" directionality of the new motor before soldering the wires.
By laadams85
I was able to pick up tires/axle and motors from a friend of mine. Now I just need to get the right switches. What do people typically use? Are there any DPDT rocker switches that would work?
Radio shack is too few and far between and in a state of affairs that I wouldn't recommend it.
But any 30/40 amp should be sufficient.
A local auto parts store should have or be able to get what you want. If not, just read reviews on the eBay or Amazon dealer and parts.
Just curious why you needed a new gas pedal?
Otherwise awesome! Looks stock. Cutting is always a frightening thing... but it turned out great.
In case you need to see some schematics, these may work, otherwise just say the word and I'll find more, but most others aren't animated illustrations for a better understanding.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=199
By laadams85
It was a low speed 6v so the pedal had a low current switch that threw a relay. I didn't really feel like keeping it that way as it was easier to just swap in the entire 12v wiring harness. I also couldn't find a good spot to put the new pedal switch on it's own without using the plate it came with.
By iksnorg
Do you think it would have been possible to keep the original wheels using some kind of adapter or would there be clearance issues with the different motors anyways?

Yes, it will add more heat to the wiring. Upgradi[…]

I'd go quad also at that age. Those 12v Perego mot[…]

http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/viewtopic.php[…]

Need for speed - Range Rover

Hi All, We purchased a range rover for my daughter[…]

HobbyMasters