KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new motors? Grind a gearbox? Adding teeth to a pinion?
By twisterdude1009
Im not to worried about just curious (tossing stock motors for 550 fan cooled motors). 12 volt fire rescue jeep. Ok so here is the issue.
It runs great at first and Im pretty sure its the battery dying (12 volt multi meter read with 12.23 volts) but I have my douts. first off I have a 12 volt light kit wired into one of the motors wires for power. The wire goes to a blinker box and then to two small 8 watt circle leds (One Red and One Blue). So when it starts out the led blink on the back when in high, when in low they stay solid, in reverse they are off. As time goes on they will eventually just stay solid in high, dimmed in low, off in reverse. Then the power wheels starts dimming in other areas and slows down.
Wire is warm but not melted and motors are smoking hot (fry an egg on em). The wire I used before melted but that was due to not being able to handle the amp draw and they were off low quality. Using pure copper wire rated up to 200 amps and something like 800 volts. The setup is not tripping the 30 amp blade fuse ether.
Broke out the multimeter with the same battery at 12.23 volts and both motors were pulling under 6 volts.
What I have on it now
LED 18 Inch Strobe Bar Pulls Max 1.2 Amps
8 watt leds in front .12 Amps
8 watt leds in back .23 amps
He gets about 3 hours run time with the strobe bar and all lights on and mostly in high 90% with 10% in reverse.
By wired
Not sure about everything else but if your battery is only reading 12.2vdc when fully charged it is on it's last leg or your charger is defective. Check voltage when charging and make sure it's over 14vdc. That lets you know you're charger is working. A good battery should read around 12.7vdc or higher after a full charge. The motors getting hot could be a few things. First thing to do is make sure you have a good battery.
By twisterdude1009
no it was reading 12.2 volts after he rode it for about 3 hours. Charges around 13.5 volts after fully charge then drops to around 12.9-13
By twisterdude1009
Thats what I thought but I read on another post 10.7 was consider dead on a 12 volt and I thought that was a little to low.
But back my original question is there a reason why the motors were only pulling under 6 volts?
Got a crap charger so it takes like 2 days of charging at a half amp to charge this beast of a battery. So im gonna do amp draw and voltage test with a full power battery today, Next week gonna get the 4AMP smart charger made by Energizer
By twisterdude1009
so tested it out and it doesn't make since unless the amp draw on the motors is more when there is resistance aka pavement.
Amp Draw on Motors in high 4.3 Amps 12 volts on both motors
Amp Draw on Low and Reverse 3.1 Amps 6 volts
This test was done with the wheels in the air and the multi meter was ran in line of the positive connection. Positive connection to positive connection on the meter, ground line on the meter was then applied to the battery to test amp draw.
Strobe Bar Different Amp Draw on Each Strobe Pattern. Kept it at the pattern that draws .64 Amps 12 Volts
Front LED Head Lights .08 Amp Draw 12 Volts
Fully Charged 12V 20AH Battery Tested 13.36 Volts when taken off charger, 2 hours later dropped and stayed at 12.9 Volts when hooked up.
Left House at 8:45 got back at 10 and he drove it in the yard till 10:30 and the battery was dying.
Drive pattern 70% Low 35% high 5% in reverse. Mostly level driving with some small inclines and a small hill
According to this Battery Run Time Calculator I should have 3 hours of power for it. It only lasted 1 hour and 45 minutes.
Is this calculator wrong, is there a better calculator I can use?
On a side note when I had his jeep rear wheels up and I was testing the voltage at the motors I did hear a weird clicking/grinding noise and it was coming from one of the motors.
By Suburbancharlie77
Clicking most likely in gearbox, I forget if you regreased them, power consumption can be proven best with a handy gadget from Wesley by googling Eastcoastpowerup.com due to the ability to get a "real time" reading, and as for the charger, I'll just leave this here.....

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20223
By twisterdude1009
Its not the gear box, its a metal noise, and I isolated it to one of the motors. Good post about chargers.
The one I'm getting is Energizer ENC4A 4 Amp Battery Charger with LCD
The reason behind this post was because I was afraid to run the power wheels if their was a wiring problem and it could cause the power wheels to catch fire or for the battery to burst or something else to hurt my son. Now my multi meter works and im pretty sure one of the motors is going, Im fine with him riding it till ether the motor burst or I get my bonus loot and can start my project on it.
Check out my project page for this Jeep =D
By Suburbancharlie77
http://eastcoastpowerup.com/Addons/Watt ... ata_Logger

That's a worth while purchase for the battery condition question.

As far as the noise, these are rather inefficient and old tech motors. It's not unusual for things to get a bit worn, and more than likely to be the case with something that you obtained used. The bearings for one could be the culprit. They don't typically catch fire, but when they do burn out, there sure is a good bit of smoke! Even more so when overvolted!

Great you have the determination to take this on. […]

WOW! Thank you so much I bought these as 12 volt m[…]

Just use the "Upload attachment" and &qu[…]

Hi, I found this dirt cheap (20$) National Product[…]

HobbyMasters