KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new motors? Grind a gearbox? Adding teeth to a pinion?
I had my son's Peg Perego Ground Force Tractor running 18 volts for a few months with no problem. Then one of the stock motors burnt out. I just replaced both of them with HPI 550 motors. I figured the motor burnt out from the additional voltage but now I'm thinking maybe the gearbox was shot causing the resistance?

With the new HPI motors inserted into the gearboxes there is a significant amount of resistance trying to turn the wheel hub on the gear box by hand. The resistance is a little bit less if I disconnect the power to the motors but definitly still there. The resistance is there too with the old OEM/stock unplugged motor too. What's weird is that the motor and gearbox spin with minimal resistance while not "connected". If I push the tractor like this when it's all put together the wheels are locked up and don't rotate.

When my son rides the tractor its super loud and the power cuts off in a minute or 2 probably because it's overheating from the significant resistance the motors are encountering.

I even opened up one of the gear boxes and everything appears to be in good shape. Technically the spur gear (the on that the gear on the motor interfaces with) isn't perfect but looks to be in acceptable shape.

I am using a 10T 32P pinion gear just like the OEM / stock one. It's not quie the same width as the stock one so I did my best to place on the shaft on the motor to center it on the spur gear. Pictures and video below.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm stumped. Thanks!

Wheels spinning - very loud - powered by motors:

Spinning open gear box by hand:
Attachments
Tractor wiring - reduced.jpg
Gear 1 - reduced.jpg
Gear 2 - reduced.jpg
16AH, 4s lipo 2.5 lbs $99

If you go the LiPo route, make sure you use one of[…]

It won't be trivial if you're not sure, but if you[…]

NATV is Not an ATV

I got the Power Wheels bug this year and am now up[…]

Nice -- that's some impressive speed, and it sound[…]