KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new motors? Grind a gearbox? Adding teeth to a pinion?
By Tex1
I just got a Peg Perego A151 Gaucho for cheap that I run at 18v for about 20 minutes, before one motor pinion split in half.
During those 20 minutes both me and my son were quite unimpressed by the performances: we were on grave and we did get decent speed eventually, but almost no wheelspin at launch, and no power drifts at all. Definitely not enough.
My son also has a 12v Gaucho Rock'in at his grandparent's place and it feels quicker.

First I thought about fixing the broken pinion and finding the fault that made this 18v gaucho feel slower than a 12v one (if there is one).
Then I thought "why waste time, just go for the max already :) " so I thought about 36v.
So the plan is to get two 24V Gaucho Superpower motor/transmissions, and run them at 36V through a scooter motor controller and a Hall effect pedal.

Questions: will the 24v superpower motors be a straight fit for my A151 Gaucho? Will I be able to retain my current wheels and my current drum brakes? Will it be fast enough on 36v to make donuts on gravel? would a 12v motor overlvolted to 24v feel quicker? Is there anything else I should know before I start this?

Thanks
By Rob222
I just got a Peg Perego A151 Gaucho for cheap that I run at 18v for about 20 minutes, before one motor pinion split in half. During those 20 minutes both me and my son were quite unimpressed by the performances.
Are you sure both rear wheels (motors/gearboxes) were working when you where running on the 18v ? The old A151 came with some of the best stock 700 series 12v motors that Perego used. Better than the Gaucho Grande motors. The A151 Gauchos came with 12vdc 230w motors and later Gauchos with 12vdc 175w motors. The old 230w motors are faster but the later 175w motors have better cooling fans built in.

Will the 24v superpower motors be a straight fit for my A151 Gaucho?
The 24V gearboxes for the second generation Superpower (the gear boxes are still available for the second gen) will not fit in an old A151 rear pan with out modifications. The 24v gearboxes are much wider. The second gen Superpower rear pan looks like it may still be available but really expensive. The Superpower Pan will fit a standard gaucho but I'm not sure it is a direct replacement for the A151.
http://www.kidswheels.com/parts-by-bran ... n-sagi9987
This is the rear pan for the second generation Superpower:
http://www.kidswheels.com/parts-by-bran ... agi3510kkn

Will I be able to retain my current wheels and my current drum brakes?
No. The wheel drivers for the A151 wheels and the Superpower gearboxes are way different.

Will it be fast enough on 36v to make donuts on gravel?
sure. But gravel is tough for any battery powered ride.

Would a 12v motor overlvolted to 24v feel quicker?
The 24v motors will have more torque compared to an overvolted 12v motor.
The 24v motors overvolted to 36v will of course be quicker than the 12v motors on 24v.
By Tex1
Thanks for the inputs. Yes moth motors and gearboxes were working before the test (I opened the boxes to grease the gears).
Seems like I should salvage my motor and fit that in a new gearbox. Is it possible to do it? how do I fit a new pinion on it?

The SP rear pan seems absurdly expensive for a piece of plastic. I'll try to contact Peg Perego about it since I'm in Italy, but if that (and wheels) is what it wakes, maybe the conversion to SP motors idea has to be scrapped. I could probably get a whole used Superpower for that kind of money.
What's the maximum I can over volt the stock 700 series motors to? will they take 24v? what about 30?
By Rob222
18v without an ESC. Above that the gearboxes take a beating without a soft start of some kind.
24v with an ESC but I use only a small 500w ESC to limit the overall current and protect the 12v motors somewhat. And maybe heat sinks.
By toycrusher
If you can find first gen superpower motors, they are awesome on 36v. Just don't do a dual ESC like I did. You can see it in my projects link in my signature. It ended up killing one of my gearboxes :evil: :evil: :evil:
Lil Dune Racer (Y5014) Wheel

I have the same issue but have been unable to find[…]

Hello all! New to this...upgraded to lithium 4s (1[…]

16AH, 4s lipo 2.5 lbs $99

Wow Hobbyking price is great! Second....yes the al[…]

$50.01! :lol: J/K I think Toycrusher was jokingl[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course