KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new motors? Grind a gearbox? Adding teeth to a pinion?
By chart2006
It's just a generic 550 motor. If you're just replacing stock motors then this will probably work fine. You'll need to also get new pinion gears for them as the stock pinion gears can't be removed from the old motors. The 550's have a 3mm shaft so the pinion gear will also need to have a 3mm bore. Once you remove the old motors count the teeth on the pinion and that'll be what you need to get. Once you count the teeth go to this website and order a new pinion with the teeth count you counted. When installing spread the existing grease in the gearbox onto the pinion gear.
By D3v1L
Bye then the old engine in a pine nut 10T that motor recommend between traxxas hpi 550 gt & Johnson?
By Hammer-fm
Two things:
(A) I don't see an integrated cooling fan in the picture. You do NOT want to use a motor without a cooling fan.
(B) You CAN remove the stock pinions using a piece of 1/8" steel plate with a slot cut in it. The slot should be ~4mm wide -- just wide enough for the motor shaft to pass through it. The plate goes between the pinion and the motor, then put the plate on a supporting surface (I use my vice just to hold it up), then use a punch to tap the shaft of the motor back through. This is a bit hard on the bearings in the motor but usually I'm throwing that away so I don't care.

To reinstall on a motor that has a smooth shaft, I recommend roughing up the shaft (I use the teeth in my vice to 'emboss' it) until it takes some force to install, and then use a very small amount of red Loctite or other sleeve retainer. I haven't had any failures so far on the 5 motors I've done this on, and it allows you to use the odd-sized gears, like the 15/17/23T ones (that are the same OD as 16/22T standard 32dp pinions).

As for motor selection: Don't get a 7.2V motor. Most of the stock motors are running 13-16k RPM, so if you want a mild speed increase without having to run 18V, find one that runs 20-23k RPM @ 12V. Jameco sells a good 23k RPM one -- look in the Motor Database Sticky.

Toycrusher..... Yeah, I agree. I purchased the qu[…]

Newbie to mods for power wheels

By the way it’s a Kawasaki quad, forgot to add tha[…]

Broke steering column.

IMG_0693 (1).JPG weld Point where handlebars conn[…]

Corevette Motor

so much info on this site, but I can't keep it all[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course