KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new motors? Grind a gearbox? Adding teeth to a pinion?
By vaughnspencer
I would like to upgrade the motor to 12v but I am running into issues getting the correct motor. Could someone please advise me the best course of action? I couldn't find a motor that had the correct gear size so I ended up TIG welding the gear to a 12v motor. Needles to say it didn't last long and my son burnt up the motor this past weekend.

Thanks in advance,
Vaughn

By Hammer-fm
Assuming it's the same as the older lil' Kawasaki (one 6V motor, small battery, one gearbox), you can replace it with any 550-class motor you want. I pulled the gear and pressed it onto the new motor (after knurling the shaft a little) and used red loctite. However, there is a lot of gearing reduction in that box and I was estimating that with the tiny tires it would need around 30,000 RPM to hit 4.5mph. Ours was running faster than that, which explains why the original motor wore out the brushes after ~6-7 months of running on a 14.4V drill battery :lol: .

If you just put in the same 12V motor that is used on the larger power wheels and run it at 12V it won't be any faster than the original motor @ 6V, though it will have more torque (a recipe for disaster).

That said: a 12V rated motor in there should have lasted forever on 12V, unless it didn't have a fan. Was it a 12V-rated motor that you put in or was that a typo?

Would also be interested in the same project. Livi[…]

I saw this video and wondering if is there anythin[…]

Just want to chime in on your understanding of &qu[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course