KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new motors? Grind a gearbox? Adding teeth to a pinion?
By SierraB
Hi everyone. I need help. I picked up an Aria BMW X5 for my niece and it wasn't working. I put in a 12v battery and now when I put it in reverse it will go. However when I put it in forward the motor doesn't move. And when I hold down the pedal in forward the chip where the wires connect into for the motor starts smoking. Any idea what could be going on? Do I need a new motor ?

By SierraB
Here's a picture of the circuit I was talking about. The blue and white wires are the + and - for the motor.
Attachments
IMG_20180408_181150~2.jpg
IMG_20180408_181150~2.jpg (333.75 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
By wired
It looks like those are 6v relays which would mean the ride was designed for a 6v battery. 12v battery will fry the board and it's components.
If there is only one gearbox/motor that's another sign it's a 6v ride. If the motor works either direction then the motor is likely good. You may have a defective relay or a damaged component on your circuit board. This is common when connecting to over voltages.
By SierraB
It even does it when I put the 6v. That's why I was wondering if it could be the motor since it doesn't seem to want to spin at all, or even something up at the knob that makes it go forward, or at the wiring or circuit posted.
By SierraB
It seems to be smoking by the + wire or the relay for the motor. Does Aria/Avigo have a chip to replace? I would say the relay but it looks like everything is sodered in place
By wired
You can test the motor by connecting battery power directly to the motor wire tabs. If the motor works in one direction it's most likely to work in the other. Just switch the positive/negative wires at tabs when testing to make motor spin either direction.
Yes, it could be a number of things instead of a bad/open/relay. If you have a voltage meter, or multi-meter, you can test the voltage to/from your relays. Switches, or a "knob" in your case, go bad quite often.
This where you have to ask yourself "what happened prior to me owning this thing?"
You never know if it got passed along because something simple just broke or if somebody threw 100v to it so it would "go really fast".
By wired
Circuit board mounted relays can be replaced. If you have voltage in, but not out of the relay, and no "clicking" is heard when power is applied, then it's most likely as bad as my grammar.
By wired
Do you have a fuse or circuit breaker installed in the battery circuit? This is crucial for safety.

Smoking electrical parts or wiring is no bueno.

Just want to chime in on your understanding of &qu[…]

Did you ever figure this question out...I'm having[…]

Not a recall. Just a "product update".[…]

I've been trying to find a vehicle for our 3 year […]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course