KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new motors? Grind a gearbox? Adding teeth to a pinion?
By Jkaz870
I bought 2 of these from amazon(link below). Watched all the vids on the wiring. Put the heat sinks on the stock motors. My son (40 lbs) blew a motor after about 1 day of light use.

I dont want to get too crazy with upgrades. Is there a cheapish and easy solution to upgrade the motors so they dont fry?

ExpertPower EXP12180 12 Volt 18 Ah Rechargeable Battery with Nuts and Bolts
Last edited by Jkaz870 on Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By toycrusher
visit eastcoastpowerup for an ESC kit. Or, buy lots of spare gearboxes :lol:
By Hammer-fm
ESC has soft start and also limits current. Running the stock motors at 24V creates a lot of current draw and instantaneous (at startup) torque which tears up the gears. With soft start the motors can take up the gearbox slack before the full torque hits.

That said, even with an ESC the stock motors will not last at 24V. You can upgrade to a 775 (larger case) motor and it will last longer, though no guarantee it won't need replacing in 3-6 months (better than one day). You can try the cheap ones on this thread (w/16T aftermarket pinions).
By Jkaz870
Hammer-fm wrote:ESC has soft start and also limits current. Running the stock motors at 24V creates a lot of current draw and instantaneous (at startup) torque which tears up the gears. With soft start the motors can take up the gearbox slack before the full torque hits.

That said, even with an ESC the stock motors will not last at 24V. You can upgrade to a 775 (larger case) motor and it will last longer, though no guarantee it won't need replacing in 3-6 months (better than one day). You can try the cheap ones on this thread (w/16T aftermarket pinions).

Thanks, I did grab some traxxas 775s to try, hopefully they will last. I plan on monitoring the temp with a bbq thermometer. If I can get it to work I'll post pics. If heat is an issue I may get a couple DC motor speed controllers and go that route.
By Hammer-fm
Running those at 24V without an ESC will almost certainly break the gearboxes in short order -- see my replies in this thread and the eventual outcome. The motors pull a lot of current at startup and (as a consequence) also have a lot of torque, so even with 'minimal' mechanical advantage (23T main pinion), they're likely to break a gearbox. You're going to be running 16T gears -- it's probably 50-70% more torque than stock @ 24V.

They may last on pavement if the tires are still "low-traction".

18V will work better -- but requires mix-and-match (6v/12v) batteries. An ESC limits the maximum current draw and (thus) torque, and will limit it to ~stock or lower levels.
ESC vs Drill trigger

Pirsen, how could you use a pedal, does any instru[…]

So many options for the 775. I want to leave the […]

Battery questions

Just got 2 free power wheels. 1. Jeep has origina[…]

Looks like I got into this whole modded PW thing s[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course