KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new motors? Grind a gearbox? Adding teeth to a pinion?
I started out using a Chinese control box you get off eBay and a verible throttle pedal ran great for a few weeks then went bad. Had 2 of them malfunction. So I put the car away for awhile and gave up. There is a drag race at a local drag strip for power wheels coming up. I deleted the controller box, wired it to the pedal like a normal power wheels. My issue is I am burning up pedal switches in a min or so. I bought a 30 amp momentary switch I put under the pedal and it melted that also after a few minutes. All of the wires are 10-14 gauge. Not sure why I am having issues. I only need full power throttle for this race. This is at 24v want to go to 36v for the race. Need some help. I am no electronics expert.

Thanks Jason

Hard to tell without knowing more about the motor and load on it, but I would normally expect a switch like that to not really be overloaded. A 500W motor will pull quite a bit more than 30A at startup but I wouldn't expect it to be near that limit while running unless it has a heavy load / through grass (are you riding it yourself?). Make sure the connections to the switch are good -- if you have a poor-quality crimp, the connector will heat up, transferring heat into the switch and accelerating its failure. I recommend soldering the crimp connectors if you can.

Barring that, I would move to a relay setup. I've had good luck with the 80A SPDT ones on Amazon (eg. this). It has a 12V coil, so you'll need to wire only one of the batteries to the pedal, then wire the pedal output to the relay coil's +. Then the relay can go between the battery and the old pedal output. There are several wiring diagrams around if you need any more connection info.
Kawasaki Red Brute Force - Wiring

For the tip switches, there are two momentary pu[…]

Front Wheel Cut Off Sensor

I heard Seastork talking about this the other da[…]

Brute Force wiring harness

Those are microswitches that kill power through […]

Kawasaki Brute Force; No reverse

What you just said, is kinda normal. Reverse and[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course