KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new motors? Grind a gearbox? Adding teeth to a pinion?
I started out using a Chinese control box you get off eBay and a verible throttle pedal ran great for a few weeks then went bad. Had 2 of them malfunction. So I put the car away for awhile and gave up. There is a drag race at a local drag strip for power wheels coming up. I deleted the controller box, wired it to the pedal like a normal power wheels. My issue is I am burning up pedal switches in a min or so. I bought a 30 amp momentary switch I put under the pedal and it melted that also after a few minutes. All of the wires are 10-14 gauge. Not sure why I am having issues. I only need full power throttle for this race. This is at 24v want to go to 36v for the race. Need some help. I am no electronics expert.

Thanks Jason

Hard to tell without knowing more about the motor and load on it, but I would normally expect a switch like that to not really be overloaded. A 500W motor will pull quite a bit more than 30A at startup but I wouldn't expect it to be near that limit while running unless it has a heavy load / through grass (are you riding it yourself?). Make sure the connections to the switch are good -- if you have a poor-quality crimp, the connector will heat up, transferring heat into the switch and accelerating its failure. I recommend soldering the crimp connectors if you can.

Barring that, I would move to a relay setup. I've had good luck with the 80A SPDT ones on Amazon (eg. this). It has a 12V coil, so you'll need to wire only one of the batteries to the pedal, then wire the pedal output to the relay coil's +. Then the relay can go between the battery and the old pedal output. There are several wiring diagrams around if you need any more connection info.
Fall Fun..

The boys have cooled a bit on the power wheels, bu[…]

Very cool! How far do the side rails (mounted to[…]

Peg Perego Gator

First time posting, so I hope I'm doing this right[…]

Help. 6 volt not enough.

Ebay has them. HF3FF/012-1ZST, I bought 2. Will […]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course