KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new motors? Grind a gearbox? Adding teeth to a pinion?
My plan is to test the Banebots 550 motors http://banebots.com/p/M5-RS550-12
and the Banebots 775 motors http://banebots.com/p/M7-RS775-18

I will be using a Jeep Wrangler for the project that I'm currently lifting and painting.
The jeep will have standard 19t gearboxes and I will be conducting a test using 12volt and 18volt setups.

What I will be looking for is differences from the factory motors at 12 and 18volt in comparison to the Banebot 500 and 700 series motors. Differences in speed and torque will be measured to the best of my ability and if anyone has suggestions to help me measure these I'd appreciate it. I will be documenting as I go with this experiment in this thread.
The jeep build will be located in the Projects thread soon.

I will start with the prices so far to what I've purchased.
I got a set of 19t 32 pitch 3mm pinions for the Banebot 550 motors here : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... MEWNX%3AIT
the total was $5.94 plus $2.85 shipping

I got a set of 19t 32 pitch 5mm pinions for the Banebot 775 motors here :http://www.ebay.com/itm/320742078706?ss ... 1439.l2649
total was $15.98 with free shipping (thanks taz for the link)

I also purchased the motors from Banebots http://banebots.com/index.html
Total for 2 - 550 motors $14.50
Total for 2 - 775 motors $35.00
Shipping total was $11.85 for first class ( a little expensive for 4 motors, I'm pretty sure they could put these in a priority box for about $5.35)
measuring something like that would be a little tricky. you can measure speed with a gps. but for torque and such, youd have to devise a test to put them through after each change. like say a selected weight, 15 or 20 lbs, climbing a small incline like a wheelchair ramp. and use a stop watch to time it.
also have you looked at race turn motors for R/C cars?
Yeah..I'm thinking of doing some videos for the torque testing..I have some really steep hills in my yard..haha.
No I haven't looked at race turn motors...more info?
I am about ready to get the 550 motors for myself (i mean my daughter lol). Can't wait for the results.
Since these motors have more torque and rpms they should be able to handle 18v, 19ts, and the lifted jeep tires (14") without burning up right?
Fjlandcrusher wrote:I am about ready to get the 550 motors for myself (i mean my daughter lol). Can't wait for the results.
Since these motors have more torque and rpms they should be able to handle 18v, 19ts, and the lifted jeep tires (14") without burning up right?
Let's hope so... :? Currently still waiting on delivery...so far I received the 19t 32pitch 3mm pinions...very fast shipping on those...
By taz11
Fjlandcrusher wrote:I am about ready to get the 550 motors for myself (i mean my daughter lol). Can't wait for the results.

In theory... but one of you two will let us know for sure ;) :D
madmaxdecals wrote: No I haven't looked at race turn motors...more info?
i was told about them at the hobby shop when i went in to get a battery, but heres one i found
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... LXBLBE&P=7
By taz11
I would not use a motor that did not come with specs. You are setting yourself up for disappointment
Fjlandcrusher wrote:
taz11 wrote: In theory... but one of you two will let us know for sure ;) :D
I'll wait on Max, My CFO (wife) :lol: wouldn't be to happy with me if I spent $30 bucks on motors just to burn them up.
Haha....my "CFO" doesn't really know about this little test yet...so let's hope I don't burn up the motors... :?
i know it has no specs, it was an example. i havent searched for those motors in years, and my last search was on the hooks at the hobby store in my area. which sadly closed its doors perminatly a little over a year ago.
I received the Banebot motors yesterday in the mail...so I am just waiting on the 5mm shaft pinion at this point...I also went ahead and bought 2 fans and some heat sinks from Racer X as well. I have posted pictures below of the motors as they were packaged and unpacked.
Attachments
Banebots packed.jpg
Banebots packed.jpg (132 KiB) Viewed 8140 times
banebots unpacked.jpg
banebots unpacked.jpg (126.51 KiB) Viewed 8140 times
and still waiting for the 5mm pinions....note to self...don't order from China anymore if I want to try anything in a timely fashion
Oh yeah...the shims for the 775's...which Taz so kindly has made for me...since I don't have the proper tools for the job...Thanks Taz!
Ok....I received the shims over the weekend from Taz...thanks! I also received the 5mm shaft pinions I ordered from another seller on ebay since my original order was shipping from china and still has not arrived. I'm impatient so I order for a US seller and got them in like 2 days and only paid a little extra change...lesson learned.
Attachments
5mm pinions.jpg
pinions 19t 32pitch 5mm shaft
5mm pinions.jpg (115.86 KiB) Viewed 8078 times
shims.jpg
Shims for the 775 motors made from Taz11...the man himself
shims.jpg (100.8 KiB) Viewed 8078 times
I am hoping to finish up the jeep soon and get to testing these motors....kind of waiting for my unfortunate septic tank issue to be cleared up before testing can proceed.
Hey Max I got my 550 motors today I put them on a jeep with 19ts and escalade wheels, if your gonna run 18v you are definitely going to need heat sinks they get very hot and that was only on the road. It seems a little faster but as soon as i felt how hot they were getting I put it back on 12v, on 12v they seem to do better on the grass than the regular motors no bogging and they never got above luke warm.
Also the the right motor got way hotter than the left these motors aren't advanced to go one direction are they?
That is interesting....I just put the 550's into the test jeep the other day...just haven't gotten around to actual testing. I do have some heat sinks so I may put them on just in case during testing...thanks for the heads up and no...they aren't
madmaxdecals wrote:That is interesting....I just put the 550's into the test jeep the other day...just haven't gotten around to actual testing. I do have some heat sinks so I may put them on just in case during testing...thanks for the heads up and no...they aren't
any update on this madmax? I want to run 775's with 19t 18v. I have grass and hills so the hpi550's are great....on flat ground, but am not having good luck with them up hills or on grass with a 2 seater escalade.
Sorry fellas...I've been so bogged down lately I haven't even gotten to put the 775's in a vehicle yet. Hopefully I will get to it soon....I just ordered some HPI 550 GT motors to throw in the mix as well.
madmaxdecals wrote:Sorry fellas...I've been so bogged down lately I haven't even gotten to put the 775's in a vehicle yet. Hopefully I will get to it soon....I just ordered some HPI 550 GT motors to throw in the mix as well.
awesome!!!
drew510 wrote:Where did you order the HPI 550s from?
I got them off of ebay for $31.00 shipped from Power_Hobby
Watching, thinking the 775's and 19T GBs for my Grave Digger 24v ESC. Realy want to see your torque results with this 19T set up as I think we have similar driving conditions. Good luck with this test.
taz11 wrote:

In theory... but one of you two will let us know for sure ;) :D
Wellllll....my jeep has been running 18volts with 14" tires, 19t Gearboxes and Banebot 550's with heat sinks. I clocked the speed at 11mph....but one motor blew today. The motors have been on the jeep for a couple of months now...so they did not hold up as long as I was hoping for....But the speed increase was very good. I'm just not sure about the longevity of the Banebot 550's on 18 volts.
Also as mentioned earlier by Fjlandcrusher....the Banebot 550 motors were extemely hot...even with the heat sinks...and as far as I can tell...the motor actually melted something inside of it....there was black gunk coming out of it....but it still operated....just wouldn't turn the GB anymore since nothing is holding the shaft in place now from what I can tell.
I also have started testing the HPI 550 motors...and currently they only seem to get luke warm with heat sinks attached...not nearly as hot as the Banebot motors
One down two go than? HPI 5 series and he Banebot 7 series next on the chopping block? I certainly hope you find a good 18v upgrade in this mix. I'm on the line between the 17 & 19T GBs with motors for the GD and am still trying to understand what the implications are with the combo. Should I take from this test that the 17T GBs might do better with a motor like the Banebot 550's as they will require less torque (draw) from the motors? Is that where he heat comes from thats cooking them, torque? Or is my thought process off? Just pondering.
Than you for the sacrifice, they will be missed :)
My thoughts were that the Banebot 550's being under the 18volt load is causing the heat problem...I am not sure that the Gearbox was necessarily the issue. The banebots aren't really rated to handle the 18volts, but neither are most of the 500 series motors. The HPI do have a volt rating of 14.4 just as the Banebots did. Of course the nominal rating is 12volt so I guess we all take a risk of blowing these when upvolting to 18.
I am not discounting that the Torque of the Gearbox could be an issue...it may very well be. I really thought that with heatsinks the motors would last a little longer than they did...
Currently testing the HPI motors on an eliminator with 21t's at 18volts....with heatsinks. They managed to help me break the 12mph barrier....
madmaxdecals wrote:Ok....I received the shims over the weekend from Taz...thanks! I also received the 5mm shaft pinions I ordered from another seller on ebay since my original order was shipping from china and still has not arrived. I'm impatient so I order for a US seller and got them in like 2 days and only paid a little extra change...lesson learned.
so just finished up making me some of these shims and the step up drill bit (is expensive!) would have worked easier, but my small hole saw worked alright, not a lot of walking. wired up 19t with the banebot 775.

to go along with this I am going to use my sons extreme machine drag racer style with 19t gearboxes (and one 16t) to get some results on reg. power wheels at 18v, banebot 775 at 12v and 18v and hpi's at 12v and 18v with my gps. hopefully we can get all kinds of tests and mph's on here. I think I am just going to put a hoseclamp on the axle so I dont just waste a grip of those push nuts!

keep it coming MADMAX!!!
I will do my best to get some more testing up....I would love for anyone else testing these different motors to put up any information they find. Knowing how these different motors perform with different combos will be great! I hope to get some more tests done soon with the Banebot 775's and the HPI GT 550's.
batteries were a little dead for the test but put the banebot 775's on the extreme machine with 19t gearboxes and wow, these things have great torque. Will go to a little drag strip to test mph but it looks fun so far :-)
summbear48 wrote:banebots 775's do have wicked torque but definitely not as much speed as the hpi's. will get a mph and post with 19t...
Sounds good...thank you
I can't test mph and am not very exotic with modifications as of yet :mrgreen: , but from observation I'd say stock motors on 18v have more torque but less top speed than Titan 21 turn 550's. One stock motor quit on 18v but the only apparent problem was a broken tab. For something different I've gone with the Titans and they seem to do ok on 18v but I did lose a gearbox. I'm running fans but no heatsinks as of now.

An ESC conversion is in the works. I'll give a report with the Titans after that. I'm researching options to limit motor input to 18v though, as even with a variable throttle I'm concerned about strain on the motors and gearboxes.

The Titan motors are rated 14.4v.
Last edited by okiedrake on Thu May 24, 2012 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Well...got my duratrax 550 motors in and found that they only work in high gear....ummmmm...anyone got info on that little situation...I got the motors that ms1120 mentioned in his motor info thread
2 door escalade, driver 35 lbs, 19t gearboxes, batteries just charged about 2 years old, stock power wheels motors. 12v max : 6mph, 18v max: 7mph. Still to come, Cadillac on banebot 775s, extreme machine 16t hpi, stock 19t, banebot, and 19t hpi, 12 and 18v.
HPI 550 motor in the Eliminator failed the other day....actually didn't last as long as the Banebot 550 did....interesting
madmaxdecals wrote:HPI 550 motor in the Eliminator failed the other day....actually didn't last as long as the Banebot 550 did....interesting
were you running 24v? I thought that is what yours was set up to. my 18v is going strong still but have never tried 24v through it.
summbear48 wrote:
madmaxdecals wrote:HPI 550 motor in the Eliminator failed the other day....actually didn't last as long as the Banebot 550 did....interesting
were you running 24v? I thought that is what yours was set up to. my 18v is going strong still but have never tried 24v through it.
Actually no....running 18volts in the eliminator....21ts.
By taz11
The 21ts and 18 volts is two steps up....plus faster motors. That may be more harsh than 24 volts in a stock vehicle.

How long did the motors last?

I have two cars that run 21ts, 14" tires and 24 volts with stock 700 motors. They are race cars for the pw meets. We race them 20 laps and park them.......they won't run much longer without a cool down period.

They are sick fast for 20 laps tho......... :roll: :lol:
taz11 wrote:The 21ts and 18 volts is two steps up....plus faster motors. That may be more harsh than 24 volts in a stock vehicle.

How long did the motors last?

I have two cars that run 21ts, 14" tires and 24 volts with stock 700 motors. They are race cars for the pw meets. We race them 20 laps and park them.......they won't run much longer without a cool down period.

They are sick fast for 20 laps tho......... :roll: :lol:
Which cars had 700 series motors stock? I thought you raced the Gauchos?
It didn't last long...he drove it maybe in total 2 weeks overall...I had them in for about a month or a little more, but actual driving time was not very high...the motor actually burnt out when he was going in the grass and up a slight incline.
By taz11
Metal frame jeeps.....

I race the Gauchos in the stock classes.

I have modified toys too :D :D :D

(the little pink one) ;)
Last edited by taz11 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wow...that thing is hauling around there....do you know what mph it is going?
By taz11
madmaxdecals wrote:Wow...that thing is hauling around there....do you know what mph it is going?
It will do 12mph... but I have not checked the actual speed on the track where grass and turns slow it some.

Here's the build if you want to check it out https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www ... SpJITzaVcA
Last edited by taz11 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taz11 wrote:Metal frame jeeps.....

I race the Gauchos in the stock classes.

I have modified toys too :D :D :D

(the little pink one) ;)
sweet.... :-)

yeah even on 18v with my 550's (although right now I am only running 16t b/c it is wicked fast for my son) its a "no grass" car to my son. although he knows he can drive "down" the grass :-) I will go to 19t at some point, I am putting 21t's on banebot 700's to get a little more speed when we walk to the store. he pulls me on my skateboard

I saw that they sell 24 volt motors on Amazon they[…]

So I saw on Amazon that they sell 24v gears it say[…]

Batmobile- 1992 Power Drivers

I'd try to plastic weld the cracks, pretty easy to[…]

Plasti-dip

I wouldn't recommend it. I've dipped my Hayabusa […]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course