KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!
By InfamousTree
Hey my names Richard
I am new to the power wheels game, but am usually very ambitious with my projects, and this is no exception.
I was referred to this site by a friend who I was speaking to about my current project. I have a 2 month old child, that I have taken it upon myself to make sure he has a bunch of toys REALLY prematurely.

I knew I wanted him to have a power wheels of sorts, and most likely I would be making it into the 1989 Batman batmobile, as this was the best one in my opinion (what i grew up with, since I was born in 1984).

So I found what I thought was a ridiculous deal on craigslist for one with no battery, and went ahead and picked it up.
After a little more research I realized it was not the ideal starter for just a paint job and some decals, but I decided to roll with it anyways.

Here's what I started with:
[img]http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q742/SacherTateWedding/batmobile/20130627_231628_zpse98784c4.jpg
[/img]
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Disney-Princess-Girls-Convertible-Car-6-Volt-Battery-Powered-Ride-On/19801342#Specifications

It is 6v, but I ordered x2 6v battery replacements and will place them inline to each other, to make it 12v.

From there, I removed all decals/stickers and took the unit completely apart. I mean completely.

I then sanded down all components to be painted, first with 150 grit, then 220 grit sand paper. Once sanded, I sprayed everything off with a hose, to make sure all loose particles were gone. After allowing to dry, I cleaned off all surfaces with windex, using blue shop towels to ensure no loose particles would be left over.
While I was waiting for all parts to dry, I constructed a make-shift painting-box, to make sure I didn't get paint all over my garage.
Once this dried, I started to paint. I used Krylon Fusion Black Gloss, as I have had a lot of luck with KRYLON Fusion in the past, when used with plastic. I painted several coats of black, very lightly. Once I was happy with the black, I then sprayed with clear coat, again several light coats

Since I was adding headlights, I drilled the holes out larger for some LED bulbs, and test fit them. After I verified they would fit, I cleaned them up a little.

I added tail lights, but for this I used red LED 'tape.' ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-12V-IP65-Waterproof-300-LED-Strip-Light-3528-5050-SMD-String-Ribbon-Tape-Roll-/180955896230?pt=US_String_Lights_Fairy_Lights&var=&hash=item2a21cfd9a6 ) Although this comes with a 3M backing, I made sure to glue these in the center of each tail light.

I also added 'flame' lights to the exhaust pipe. For this I used the same LED 'tape', but I used red & orange. Unfortunately, it turned out a little darker than I was hoping, but it still looks good. I used an adjustable pulse flasher inline (I had a pretty expensive automotive one lying around that i'll never use, but you can find them on ebay like crazy), the it would glow on and off. I didn't take pictures of this yet, but I will.

The steering wheel had 5 buttons, 4 of which made princess related noises, the 5th was the horn.
Since I didn't think the princess sounds were applicable to the Batmobile, I took the wheel apart and unsoldered the buttons from the circuit board. I then hot-glued the buttons in place on the wheel besides the 1 I wanted to keep, the horn.
I forgot to take pictures, but I added a microswitch internally on the steering wheel for the nerf gun (see later in post) trigger, but my plan to activate it has yet to work so we'll see If i even use it.

I made bat wings for the rear out of an old plastic tote I had lying around. I cut out the approximate size desired, but in rectangles. Laying the plastic over the handle for a rubber mallet, then holding down it down on each side with other handles, I heated the plastic, holding pressure down around the handle of the rubber mallet, making it mold around the handle, to make the curves. Once the plastic cooled, I cut out the shape of the wings, making sure to leave a little access at the bottom for mounting. When the wings were cut, I heat up the bottom and bent the bottoms to match the mounting location desired on the rear of the PW.
After all of this, I drilled the holes in the new wings and the body of the PW, making sure to follow the curve of the body. Once set, I then sanded/painted/ and cleared the wings to match.
After this dried, I used some typical plastic mounting rivets usually used for automotive body parts.

In the mean time I have been looking at decals and parts, and there were a couple things I wanted to add:

Added real mirrors so they actually reflect.

I made some decals myself (used to replace originals), and purchased some on ebay:
(the joker will go in the drivers mirror)

Programmable buzzer to play the batmobile theme! (controlled by a switch)
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/PROJECTS-UNLIMITED-API-4260-LW150-R-/50-2992

I also wanted to have a Nerf Gun to shoot out the front of the bumper, but a couldn't find anything online or on this forum that did this completely electrically without using a nerf vulcan. I needed something compact and electric. I couldn't find anything completely electric, but I did come across the nerf barricade; this has an electric motor expell the darts, but requires a manual trigger pull.
http://www.amazon.com/Nerf-18616-N-Strike-Barricade-RV-10/dp/B003YJER8U
I did some nerf gun mods to make it work (trigger safety, shorten barrel + more)
After some research, I found that the max voltage the motor will support without replacing the motor, is 9volts. I am going to hook this up to toggle switch to 1 of the 6v batteries. The trigger is the tricky part. It needs an inch travel of play, but the only things I can think of are about 3/4" of an inch (my background is automotive) - a door lock actuator, solenoids, etc. So this I am still working on.

I'm at a point where I am simply waiting for parts to come in (decals, batteries, programmable buzzer) I will add more videos and pictures once this is done.
This is where it's at now:

Thanks for reading my post,
Any input is appreciated! (especially on the nerf gun!!!)
Last edited by InfamousTree on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
By InfamousTree
Gotta try a couple things for the nerf gun still, waiting on one emblem then final clean up and I'm done!

A couple walk throughs:

The clicking sound in the background is this display light, not the car!!!
By landon
Sharp looking batmobile! I'm not totally clear how you bent the plastic to form the wings, I'm assuming you heated it, but didn't catch that in your write up.
I'm sure your little one will be very happy with it (one day, lol!).
I take it you're modding an Escalade, next? That should be good :)
By InfamousTree
@Landon: Thank you and thanks for mentioning that, i apparently wasnt paying attention to what i was typing. i edited it:
"Laying the plastic over the handle for a rubber mallet, then holding down it down on each side with other handles, I heated the plastic, holding pressure down around the handle of the rubber mallet, making it mold around the handle, to make the curves."
I still don't like the wording, but it makes sense now!
Ya I picked up an escalade yesterday, after a lot more research BEFORE starting a project, rather than starting it and then coming across this site, I'm going to plan a little more rather than just act.. lol.

@iDz : thanks! All I have let on this is that stupid nerf gun, but i've taken a break from the frustration of that until I figure out the ideal situation to trigger it properly, since my first method was a bust!
By InfamousTree
Had my godson test this out since my son is a little young (3 months as of last friday). He is a big Cars fan, but this thing left both Mcqueen and the Escalade (both stock batteries/motors) in the dust, so he rode it until the battery died!
Still gotta add rubber to the wheels and fix the nerf gun but i've been busy with other projects, both PW and not.

You can't hear it on the video, but he loved that batman theme, and that of course was turned on with the on switch every time!

By x-tremeOCK
OMG! :shock: This has to be one of the most thorough reports of a project I've seen! They say a picture is worth a thousand words, yours speak volumes! Great job on the car, you've given me some ideas I want to try myself. I really like the closeup detail pics showing what you did with the lights, that will help a lot of newbies to LEDs out there. I also like the wings and how you made them. I'll bet your kid is thrilled over this, I sure am. Looking forward to more! :D

X
By TR7man
Super awesome job on your BatMobile conversion. I can't believe it was a princess car before.

Not to hijack your thread, but, my son just got this Action Wheels 6V BatMobile for Christmas. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Batman-Batmobile-6-Volt-Battery-Powered-Ride-On/53341544

And of course, I plan on adding a 2nd motor/gearbox, upgrading to a 12V battery, and adding a Nerf gun. The perfect mounting spot is above the hood. I'll start my own thread when I begin this project.

I'm looking at some fully automatic, RapidStrike CS-18, Nerf guns on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nerf-RapidStrike-CS-18-Auto-Motorized-Rapid-Fire-Dart-Gun-/232189948825, so the trigger could stay pulled, and a switch could fire it. Also, a 35 dart drum.

Hi, I want to purchase a toy car for my son, I w[…]

If available, is it $20.00. How would you want th[…]

Lightning McQueen wiring help

http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/download/file[…]

PHASE 2 - UPGRADE FROM 1WD TO 2WD PHASE 3 will b[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course