KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new batteries? Going from 12V to 18V or 6V to 12V? Wiring Questions?
Ok - I did some modifying without researching appropriately (which is uncharacteristic, so I'm a little annoyed with myself), and now I have some questions. I have a red KFX from about 2012 into which I've installed two (2) ProPower 12v 12ah F2 RECHARGEABLE SEALED LEAD ACID DEEP-CYCLE batteries for 24 volts. Based upon what I've read, here's what I believe to be true and some accompanying questions. Please feel free to correct anything I've gotten wrong:
- I understand that the ATV has two 550 motors in two 7R (?) gear boxes.
- I understand that these gearboxes are approximately the most robust that are available as stock.
- I understand that the real risk is that we burn up the motors.
- Is there a fuse size I should use to get moderate reliability but not burn up the motors? I've told my son to take it easy on the turbo switch, but I'd like a safety net.
- Is there a way to install something that will limit the amount of time that the turbo button can be used? Like, so it cuts itself off after 5 seconds or so to prevent things from getting too hot?
- Once I've dialed in the best fuse size, I'd like to switch over to a circuit breaker. I trust they're available for 24v systems but I haven't seen many around. Any recommendations?
- I'm charging the batteries separately with a 12v charger to keep from causing problems.
- Is there anything else I haven't thought of? My son loves this thing and I'd like to not destroy it with daddy's 'improvement'.

Thanks in advance!!!
By MR_Pat
See if CJB still has turbo timers. I think you'll end up needing them eventually as the relays that run everything will probably go out .. I could be mistaken but I know the KFX quads I have both have a small circuit board with relays on it that run the 2 diffrent switches .. the one for the foot pedal makes one motor run .. the turbo makes the second one kick in. I have 4 of CJB's Timers myself currently . 2 are in cars and 2 are going into the quads as soon as I can free up the time to get back to the garage .
By CJB
As I mentioned in your webstore message, I have never tested the turbo timer on a 24v (12+12) set-up. I can not say if it will work and can't back it if you try. It was specifically designed for 12+6, as most 24V set-ups are ESC controlled and not relevant to this application.

That being said, if anyone has successfully implemented a turbo timer on a 12+12 set up, please let SoutherlyCourse know.
This site is all about using things in a manner for which it may not have been exactly designed for. :lol:

Here's my though process on this... Timer sees +12 and GND from batery 1. (always needs +12. no more, no less). Voltage off the motor sense wire is +12 in relation to battery 1 ground. It closes the turbo relay to put 24v to the motors by putting battery 1 and battery 2 in series but since the timer's only ground is from battery 1, the voltage seen on the motor sense wire should still only be +12v right?

Dangit... Now I gotta go set up a bench test and see if I'm thinking straight.
By CJB
Well, I got sidetracked and now I'm kinda busy but I threw together a quick drawing of what your set-up would be like and I can't see any reason it wouldn't work wired this way. The timer is always ground-referenced to the first battery so no matter how much voltage you put to the motors, it's only going to see 12v on pin 1. As long as it's wired exactly like this.

output.png

Just thinking out loud here but if you were using 1x 12v and 2x 6V (or 4x 6v), it may be possible to make a custom software version that uses the battery saver relay as a second turbo relay instead. Start in 12v, kick in 6v after a delay, kick in the other 6V after more delay kind of thing. I'd have to explore that further. And charge more. :lol: That's a lot of code to change.
By CJB
Two timers would add the voltage at the same time, since they have the same program unless you had two different turbo buttons. Seems easier to modify the code. That way I could do all sorts of cool things... Hit a button once for 12+6, hit it again for an additional 6... etc. The circuit itself is pretty versatile in the fact it already has 2 relays under it's control. I just have to tell it what to do with them.

Okay, I'm done hijacking the thread. Carry on...
This is really cool! I have a couple of questions:
- Straight off the battery is a relay. What are the other three boxes below that before the motors? (sorry for the basic question)
- The switch that's in there; that's the on/off key or a remote kill button, yes?
- Please remind me what the battery saver relay does?

Thanks again!!
By CJB
Rob - I like your thinking! Never really thought of doing it that way. Never had a reason to. :lol:

Southerly- The other three boxes are the switches in the factory harness... throttle, F/R (forward/reverse) and H/L (high, low) View the Definitive Wiring Diagram thread for further info.

The red switch thing in the drawing is the turbo button. A momentary push button switch. This is not required as the timer can be set to operate automatically as well.

CLICK HERE to learn more about the turbo timer.
By MR_Pat
CJB .. I ran one of our cars on the 12 + 12 system with your Turbo timer.. given I only let him play with it like that for about 10 minutes as i was afraid of too much heat at the motors.. I haven't gotten around to cooling fans on the turbo timer cars yet .. Which is definately something I would tell anyone to do going 18v or more on stock powerwheels motors.. even at 18v they get pretty hot...
Ok - I did some modifying without researching appropriately (which is uncharacteristic, so I'm a little annoyed with myself), and now I have some questions. I have a red KFX from about 2012 into which I've installed two (2) ProPower 12v 12ah F2 RECHARGEABLE SEALED LEAD ACID DEEP-CYCLE batteries for 24 volts. Based upon what I've read, here's what I believe to be true and some accompanying questions. Please feel free to corrector link anything I've gotten wrong:
- I understand that the ATV has two 550 motors in two 7R (?) gear boxes.
- I understand that these gearboxes are approximately the most robust that are available as stock.
- I understand that the real risk is that we burn up the motors.
- Is there a fuse size I should use to get moderate reliability but not burn up the motors? I've told my son to take it easy on the turbo switch, but I'd like a safety net.
- Is there a way to install something that the tactical flashlight will limit the amount of time that the turbo button can be used? This is because it look Like, so it cuts itself off after 5 seconds or so to prevent things from getting too hot?
- Once I've dialed in the best fuse size, I'd like to switch over to a circuit breaker. I trust they're available for 24v systems but I haven't seen many around. Any recommendations?
- I'm charging the batteries separately with a 12v charger to keep from causing problems.
- Is there anything else I haven't thought of? My son loves this thing and I'd like to not destroy it with daddy's 'improvement'.

Thanks in advance!!!

I was searching some information about this for my college assignment. At last I have found some resources here to use :)
Barbie Jeep Dash Decals?

How do I print? I'm new as well! Thank you!

Jeep hurricane 12 and 24 volt system

After the pnumatic tires, I started getting carrie[…]

MPW Weekly Email

In any case, I'm excited about this newsletter. […]

Lotus 7

Wow this is a pretty cool idea. Completely old/new[…]

HobbyMasters